Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Comanche Peak

Author Topic: Comanche Peak  (Read 15416 times)

Offline witterkt

• Very Lite User
Comanche Peak
« on: Apr 30, 2011, 12:54 »
I'm finishing up my resume, making the appropriate tweaks (with help of course, thanks guys :D)...

I've narrowed my search of desired employment to 3 power plants:  Comanche Peak, South Texas Project, and SONGS.

I've decided that Comanche Peak favors much more highly than the rest for several personal reasons (near home, near family, cost of living, etc.).  I've currently got a job in commercial fossil fuel generation, so there's no real rush in that regard.  Of course I'm eager to get into the industry, but I guess I feel like I have a bit more room to bide my time since I'm gainfully employed.

Are there any people here that currently work there?  I've heard good things, but the Comanche Peak thread that I read on this site was fairly generic.  It SEEMS that there is a great working environment there, but I was hoping to get a bit more and current insight on that particular location. 

Thanks guys.

Offline witterkt

• Very Lite User
Re: Comanche Peak
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 2011, 12:55 »
Oh...

And of course ANY insight would be much appreciated, but if there are any operators I'd be most eager to hear from you.

Cathy

« Reply #2 on: Apr 30, 2011, 08:44 »
Although not an operator, I do work there as an RP. I like it myself. Friendly people and a great cost of living in the area.

Offline witterkt

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 05:15 »
That's excellent.  That's sort of what I've been hearing in general.  Thanks :)

Offline TEX-INSP

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 10:41 »
Seems like they dont post many jobs for Comanche Peak for direct hire. I look at the Luminant page every now and then and its pretty slim....

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 10:57 »
Seems like they dont post many jobs for Comanche Peak for direct hire. I look at the Luminant page every now and then and its pretty slim....

Must be a great place with happy people and no one leaving :)

Offline TEX-INSP

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 01:35 »
Must be  ;)

Offline witterkt

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 02:08 »
Well, I guess all I can do is wait...  HOPEFULLY they'll post some more positions soon.  Well, some that I'm qualified for.  Nuclear Mechanical Engineer isn't quite my skill set. :/

Pman52

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 08:06 »
They had an external posting for NLO's at Comanche Peak a few months ago for a start date somewhere around June.  Looks like you may have to wait until next rotation...

IMO you may have a few favorites that you would like to get into, we generally all do.  But I would not limit myself by applying to just those facilities, especially if you would like to get a position soon.  Apply to others and see what kind of results you get.  If you have a solid resume and do well in the interview you may just have shot.  Good luck!

Offline witterkt

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 08:16 »
Yeah, I caught the posting on nukeworker.com, but when I checked it out on their site it was gone.  I contacted the POC listed on the ad, but he responded with disclosure that testing had already been set up and that it was too late to be added to the interview list.

After that, I made a word document with (what I believe to be) all the nuclear facilities' career website info on it.  I check the ones I want a lot daily and the others about once a week.  A bit obsessive, maybe, but I don't want that opportunity to pass me up again.

I have a bit of time to hold out for Comanche Peak, I just don't want to wait too long and be the "old maids" of NLO's. :P

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 01:33 »

IMO you may have a few favorites that you would like to get into, we generally all do.  But I would not limit myself by applying to just those facilities, especially if you would like to get a position soon.  Apply to others and see what kind of results you get.  If you have a solid resume and do well in the interview you may just have shot.  Good luck!

Im going to double vouch this, but he already knows :D

Offline witterkt

• Very Lite User
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 06:35 »
To be fair I'm watching all of the plants I'm interested in...  There are currently 5, I'm just really really really really hoping on #1 :P

Offline TEX-INSP

• Light User
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 08:06 »
To be fair I'm watching all of the plants I'm interested in...  There are currently 5, I'm just really really really really hoping on #1 :P

What are the 5 plants , if you dont mind me asking?

Offline witterkt

• Very Lite User
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 09:29 »
1) Comanche Peak, TX
2) SONGS, CA
3) South Texas Project, TX
4) Diablo Canyon, CA
5) Palo Verde, AZ

Offline TEX-INSP

• Light User
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 06:54 »
1) Comanche Peak, TX
2) SONGS, CA
3) South Texas Project, TX
4) Diablo Canyon, CA
5) Palo Verde, AZ

I've always wanted to work at STP. It's another quiet place with not much hiring.

Offline witterkt

• Very Lite User
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 12:33 »
Yeah...  EVENTUALLY there will have to be a hole.  So are SONGS and Diablo Canyon, from what I hear  >:(

I'll have to be honest.  I saw a posting for Palo Verde recently, but due to a situation (house fire) that I'm dealing with along with it's place on my priority list, I had to let it pass.  Theoretically CP will be hiring NEO's sometime after this winter.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 12:40 by witterkt »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?