Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Re-entering the workforce.

Author Topic: Re-entering the workforce.  (Read 4833 times)

Holger

Re-entering the workforce.
« on: May 01, 2011, 12:28 »
I am re-entering the workforce after 3 years absence. I live in Oak Ridge and worked for Bechtel-Jacobs through LIUNA 818 at ETTP/K-25 D&D back in '07-'08 for about a year. I've decontaminated equipment, made trucks ready to carry waste to the landfill, did asbestos abatement, hazardous waste operations and construction stuff such as concrete pour and gravel grading. No clearance then and no clearance now.

I'm looking to get back in the industry but not in a Labor position. I got two years of college but not in a technical field. I am well versed in Math, Chemistry, Physics et al. Hoping to get into RadCon, HP or ES&H, even in a junior-junior capacity.

Anyone got advice how to get into those three fields?

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: Re-entering the workforce.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 07:05 »
I am re-entering the workforce after 3 years absence. I live in Oak Ridge and worked for Bechtel-Jacobs through LIUNA 818 at ETTP/K-25 D&D back in '07-'08 for about a year. I've decontaminated equipment, made trucks ready to carry waste to the landfill, did asbestos abatement, hazardous waste operations and construction stuff such as concrete pour and gravel grading. No clearance then and no clearance now.

I'm looking to get back in the industry but not in a Labor position. I got two years of college but not in a technical field. I am well versed in Math, Chemistry, Physics et al. Hoping to get into RadCon, HP or ES&H, even in a junior-junior capacity.

Anyone got advice how to get into those three fields?

You may have missed your window of opportunity...18 months ago, everyone was shorthanded and you might have been able to get a junior job with that experience.  Now that everyone is afraid the stimulus money will go away...and there are relatively few outages in the fall...you may end up counting yourself lucky to get your laborer job back...

Good luck, I hope things work out for you.  :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 07:06 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 05:30 »
Keep your eyes and ears open. CH2M Hill and URS just got the EM contract in Oak Ridge there may be some changes and opportunities. The article below states that 60% of the work will be done by small business.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/apr/29/urs-ch2m-hill-team-wins-oak-ridge-em-contract/?partner=RSS

Holger

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 06:06 »
Keep your eyes and ears open. CH2M Hill and URS just got the EM contract in Oak Ridge there may be some changes and opportunities. The article below states that 60% of the work will be done by small business.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/apr/29/urs-ch2m-hill-team-wins-oak-ridge-em-contract/?partner=RSS

Yeah, I heard about the new 2 billion dollar contract yesterday. Also yesterday I went by the Union hall and they said they aren't accepting new union members until June or July, not enough work to give new members, even former members who want to rejoin.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 07:33 »
Yeah, I heard about the new 2 billion dollar contract yesterday. Also yesterday I went by the Union hall and they said they aren't accepting new union members until June or July, not enough work to give new members, even former members who want to rejoin.

Sorry to hear that, the turn over from Bechtel Jacobs to CH2M Hill/URS is suppose to take 90 days that may be why.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?