Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Advice for a HP grad student
honeypot

Author Topic: Advice for a HP grad student  (Read 15135 times)

Offline dangsy

• Light User
Advice for a HP grad student
« on: May 03, 2011, 07:32 »
I recently finished my first year as Masters of Health Physics grad student.  So far I've been sending out my resume left and right to any entry level position I've been able to find for the past year and a half, without even a single nibble.  Goverment jobs on USAjobs, local powerplant positions, DoE internships, Northrop, anything...

I have a BS in Biology and Physics, minor in Chem, 3.2gpa.  On to my 2nd year in the HP program with a 3.5gpa.

I have 4 years of experience doing administrative duties [to pay my way through college], but no actual radiation experience.

Is there anything I can do to boost my resume? Certifications?

Should I look into the Navy route?

Thank you

Offline indoprime

• HP on a stick
  • Moderate User
  • You got two choices..deal with it, or deal with it
Re: Advice for a HP grad student
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 10:39 »
As a former grad student, i empathize with you.  So, here's what you might try to do. Take a semester off from the books, and do some commercial outages. They're always short of help, so you can go in as a junior tech. Call Kristy Inman @ SHaw Group or Roxanna @Atlantic....  they're both good companies to work for, and they're junior -friendly.

Good Luck!
Excuses are tools of the incompetent which create monuments of nothingness, Those who specialize in their uses seldom achieve anything.

Offline dangsy

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 01:05 »
Thank you for the advice!

are commercial outages readily available to work on?  Would Summer be a good time to start?  I have a class I was planning to take this Summer, but I can definitely put that on hold...

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 01:58 »
Thank you for the advice!

are commercial outages readily available to work on?  Would Summer be a good time to start?  I have a class I was planning to take this Summer, but I can definitely put that on hold...

Summer is exactly the wrong time to start... there are no outages. It is a matter of economics (supply and demand.) The electricity is needed more in the summer to run all of those air conditioners, so we need all the plants on line when the demand is highest. Look for the first outages to start in September. St. Lucie was scheduled to start in August, but it got pushed back to November.

Good luck.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
  • I love nukeworker.com!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 02:18 »
Try this one...... They may still have internships available if you are willing to work outside your field until next summer.....
http://jobs.pnnl.gov/
"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented
  immigrant" is like calling a drug
  dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist."
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."
Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, Pa.

Offline Simple Country HP

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 03:18 »
Commercial outages are available to work but outage season is in the Spring and Fall and not during the Summer. If you want Summer work look for DOE jobs. Both DOE and commercial experience are excellent but they are different. Commercial is mostly beta/gamma experience and DOE is alpha experience along with beta/gamma.

I would definitely take that class this Summer and not put it on hold. Never forget that you are a health physicist first.

Indoprime's advice is good. You start out as a junior tech (even if you have an MS or a PhD in health physics).

Working as a tech gives you experience you can get no other way and you can build contacts. Being a 3.1 senior tech is a major accomplishment. I have learned more practical health physics from wise old senior techs than I ever learned in a health physics class.

Some caveats. Do not let people convince you into being a technician (unless that is your goal). You will be pigeonholed as a technician by some people. Another trap to beware is taking a job as a technician because it might work into a health physicist job or will get your foot in the door. I would give that possibility a less than 5% chance of happening. You will be told that, hired as a technician, then remain a technician, and be strung along as long as you will listen. If you take a job like that, take it because you need a pay check and are willing to work as a technician.

I have a Bachelors in biology and chemistry and an MS in radiological health physics.

etm

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 02:19 »
Are you looking for a job or an internship?  Most internships are decided long before May and there really aren't a lot in the field these days.  NRC and DOE are still trying to figure out the money.

Have you looked at your school's ESH department?  If you are in an HP program, likely the university is big enough to have a broad scope license.  Know that they are often looking for students to "volunteer" to help with routines, lab waste pick-ups, etc.   

Are you a member of your local HPS chapter?  There is student membership for HPS as well.  You would have the ability to post your resume there and look at the job postings.  There were about 50 positions posted (at least before the HPS website went down due to a virus at ORNL).  The local sections are great places to network and learn about opportunities.  Keep in mind, you might just have to make some of your own. 

Offline indoprime

• HP on a stick
  • Moderate User
  • You got two choices..deal with it, or deal with it
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 02:56 »
Also, if you can, (and if it's still there), check out my post on "Top 10 things every Rookie Nukeworker should know".
Excuses are tools of the incompetent which create monuments of nothingness, Those who specialize in their uses seldom achieve anything.

anti-neutrino

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 04:26 »
LISTED ON NPUA.ORG IS A POSITION AS AN INTERN FOR EXELON @DRESDEN  ILLINOIS ATTENTION ASAP.
GOOD LUCK STRIVE AND YOU WILL SUCCEED.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 08:28 »
LISTED ON NPUA.ORG IS A POSITION AS AN INTERN FOR EXELON @DRESDEN  ILLINOIS ATTENTION ASAP.
GOOD LUCK STRIVE AND YOU WILL SUCCEED.

8. DON'T TYPE IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS, IT IS THE ELECTRONIC VERSION OF SHOUTING AT PEOPLE.
 http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,4700.0.html

"Thank you for your cooperation." -RoboCop

Offline dangsy

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2011, 06:34 »
Finished that summer class, and still trucking along in my HP masters degree...I've been shooting my resume off every once in a while but I guess I'm not being pro-active enough (calling in to HR to mention my interest).  I'm reapplying to all the summer government internships that involve radiation now. 

Will be finishing up 40hr HAZWOPER cert provided here on the site (the hands on part will be provided by the employer right?) and looking to start expanding my search to encompass AO/NLO positions.

Thanks for reading and I'm definitely always open to any advice or criticisms!

Thank you

Offline dangsy

• Light User
NLO position call back!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 04, 2011, 03:52 »
So after my previous post I applied for a hand full of AO/NLO positions. 

4 days later (:o) Exelon calls me to schedule for pre-employment testing.  POSS and BMST. Excited!

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #12 on: Nov 04, 2011, 03:52 »
Congratulations!!! Good luck and keep us posted.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline dangsy

• Light User
« Reply #13 on: Nov 04, 2011, 04:13 »
Congratulations!!! Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks! Scheduled for this coming Tues at 3MI, so I'll be spending the rest of the weekend doing practice tests. 

Maxman01

« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2011, 01:46 »
Directly call the plants Radiation protection managers and asks for internship.  The good ones will then go to HR and drive that.  Then if you do well jobs are opening up now all the time.  PSEG has at least 4 RP positions open up for colledge grads.

Offline dangsy

• Light User
« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2011, 09:25 »
Took the POSS/BMST this morning.  I feel I did well on the BMST, but on the POSS I'm not as confident.  Wasn't able to answer all of the Assembly (-3), Part 1 of graphs (-9 of 60), and a few on the Math portion.  Hopefully I did well enough on the ones I did answer to pass!  I have my fingers crossed.

Offline Papa Nuc

• Moderate User
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2011, 09:35 »
If you did well on the ones you answered, that should be plenty to pass.  Good luck.

Offline dangsy

• Light User
« Reply #17 on: Nov 11, 2011, 04:55 »
Passed the POSS  ;)

no word on the BMST yet, but I'm pretty confident on it. 

:foot:  <-- I hope this isn't me a few days from now  ;D

Offline dangsy

• Light User
« Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2011, 10:04 »
Got the interview call!

Gotta brush up on my non-existent interview skills.

Offline dangsy

• Light User
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2011, 02:41 »
Got the offer! EXCITED!

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2011, 03:28 »
Congratulations!

Welcome to the World of Nuclear Power.

Assuming you accept the offer, you will at times think it is both the best and worst decision you ever made. After nearly 38 years I am still trying to make up my mind. I think I will give it a few more years before I decide.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?