Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Getting in Nuc honeypot

Author Topic: Getting in Nuc  (Read 25398 times)

devondigs

Re: Getting in Nuc
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 11:22 »
I've seen that very same regulation post before, and, as you say regulation and interpretation are two very things.  Imagine how I feel as a potential recruit.  Anyway, I know I've still got waivers to be put in, but my recruiter is sending me to MEPS tomorrow.  From what I've read I gather I'll head out, and if I pass the physical I'll get to the counselor and he/she will tell me what jobs I can do, and if Nuc is available I presume they'll put me in DEP on the supposition that my waivers are accepted?

devondigs

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 11:24 »
Thankyou styrofoam, I had read that link.  I think however, the reason it matters is because I've gotten a less than passing score in chem twice, and if the nuc program or whoever the higherups are perceive an individual as having a dislike for math or chemistry, they'll dq on those grounds. 

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 11:36 »
That's close, but the official document, which is also in the second link volume iv, says "enlistment in the nf program will be denied to any individual who actively expresses a strong dislike for mathematics and physics." I take that to mean something like telling them you don't like math. I failed many math courses in college and even needed a waiver for a high school math class and they didn't care about the collge ones.

devondigs

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 11:42 »
Did your recruiter have you fill out any handwritten statements for those grades in college? Because I am.

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2011, 11:45 »
Nope. The transcripts were just put in my file. That's it.

devondigs

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2011, 11:52 »
Geez, now I just feel like I'm getting overly scrutinized within a cohort of super scrutinized candidates.

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2011, 12:15 »
Trust me. I'm the queen of freaking out so I can tell. You're freaking out.  [coffee]

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2011, 10:44 »
I graduated highschool with around a 2.3. I got in just fine, if that gives you any warm fuzzies. and YES I had to do a couple waivers for that :p

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2011, 11:59 »
I graduated highschool with around a 2.3. I got in just fine, if that gives you any warm fuzzies. and YES I had to do a couple waivers for that :p

Waiver for psychological counseling for anger problems - check.
Waiver for fighting in school - check.
Waiver for failing calculus one - check.
Waiver for failing calculus two - check.
Waiver for being a naturalized US citizen - check.
Waiver for minor in possession - check.
Waiver for speeding ticket - check.

Waivers: You can get them for almost everything!

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2011, 02:16 »
Waiver for psychological counseling for anger problems - check.
Waiver for fighting in school - check.
Waiver for failing calculus one - check.
Waiver for failing calculus two - check.
Waiver for being a naturalized US citizen - check.
Waiver for minor in possession - check.
Waiver for speeding ticket - check.

Waivers: You can get them for almost everything!

You're about 11 short of mine ;)

MacGyver

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2011, 02:32 »

Let me throw you a line ... you look like you could use the help.

I had no idea it was a contest to see who had the most waivers and could still get into the Nuke Nav.  I think you and I have a different idea/view about what is and is not acceptable.

Truth in advertisement statement:
Silly me I didn't need any waivers.   [king] 

8)

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2011, 02:59 »

8)

Same here.  8)
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2011, 04:35 »

Including the narcissism/every-single-thread-is-about-me waiver ;)

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2011, 07:28 »
I smited you for implying he should cover up things that recruiters are asking for. Nothing he has will DQ him, and there's no reason to "cover it up" regardless of regulations. If its pointless as you say, it would work itself out anyway. 
I see the confusion. I wasn't implying that he should cover up anything; rather, I was saying that he's wasting his time writing essays to obtain waivers for traffic violations because it's not necessary -- no one who's of any importance to his entry into the nuclear pipeline is going to read them. If that is what his recruiter is telling him he needs to do, his recruiter is misinformed. It's easy to see how this may have happened given the gigantic book spanning multiple volumes that has a gajillion requirements. Again, I was NOT implying that he should blow off a requirement or hide his traffic violations.

The college performance is a gray area, and I'm not sure how that's handled on the enlisted end. On the one hand, he wasn't required to attend college to qualify for the program. On the other, he demonstrated poor performance in the few technical college courses he did take (eg, Chemistry), and demonstrated lackluster performance in a non-technical major that the nuclear Navy would probably consider "easier" (Navy's opinion, not mine).  This would raise a big red flag for me regarding someone's ability to complete the program, regardless of whether or not it's required for entry. Think of any reason why someone would be performing poorly in college, and they are probably paralleled to why someone would perform poorly in the nuclear power pipeline... "I just didn't like school..." "I couldn't handle the material..." "It took me 3 years to figure out that psychology wasn't interesting to me..." "I didn't put the appropriate effort into my classes..." "My teachers didn't speak English..." The only valid reason for poor performance would be if a person had to work a ton of hours to put himself through school. The Navy can fix that part.

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2011, 03:52 »
I had no idea it was a contest to see who had the most waivers and could still get into the Nuke Nav.  I think you and I have a different idea/view about what is and is not acceptable.

Truth in advertisement statement:

8)

It's less the "didn't need waivers" thing, so much as the fact that there are a variety of waivers that can be obtained, depending on the effort your recruiter is willing to go through.  I admit I was young and dumb at one point - now I'm just old and dumb - and did irresponsible things.  I cleaned up my act, got on the straight and narrow, and eventually left the Nuclear Navy with a honorable discharge, some fond memories, and my integrity intact. 

People can grow up.  I know that enlisting helped me do that.  Looking back now, I would have smacked my younger self upside the head so many times I'd be walking around with a permanent concussion.

devondigs

« Reply #40 on: Jul 14, 2011, 11:39 »
I know its been a while, but just as a follow up I was recently denied nuke according to my recruiter "for my past credit history and previous tickets".  According to my recruiter this could potentially forestall or prevent top secret clearance,  which would ultimately prevent me from moving further.  At this point I'll decide whether or not I'll pursue advanced electronics or some other career. Thanks everyone for the help!

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #41 on: Jul 14, 2011, 11:47 »
Very sorry to hear that my friend. Good luck to you!
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

stefanc2011

« Reply #42 on: Jul 15, 2011, 03:44 »
Sorry to hear that, but they really denied you for a $10,000 student loan and $3,000 personal loan?  Is your credit bad or have you never missed a payment etc? I got in, and i have a car loan of $14,000 and a student loan of $3500...this worries me now, though, with potential problems on the security clearance.

Edit - My fault, it was late when I read this and for some reason I replaced 'past credit history' with 'past debt history' or something...I dunno, it was late.  Anything and everything is causing me to freak out right now..I ship out next Sunday, so i'm a bit nervous.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2011, 11:50 by stefanc2011 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?