Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Debating the NUPOC Program honeypot

Author Topic: Debating the NUPOC Program  (Read 8543 times)

Mostly_Harmless

Debating the NUPOC Program
« on: May 11, 2011, 05:04 »
Hey guys,

I'm a Junior in Mechanical Engineering with a minor in Materials Science and Engineering in CA with a GPA of around 3.3. I'm debating applying for the NUPOC program. Ideally, I want to be a Nuclear Reactors Engineer, but from what I've read, its a tough program to get into. However, my main question is not about qualifications, but more about NUPOC life.

I would like to know whether or not NUPOC is all its sold to be. I have talked to an officer recruiter near my school, and I was impressed with what NUPOC had to offer. My main concerns were with what happens after college ends. I was told that for an NRE, we're sent to ODS, then job training, then nuke school, then we get an assignment. In addition, I was told that we could only spend 1 tour as an NRE, and then we had to rotate out to any other department. Can someone confirm this? Also, for those who have gone through the NUPOC/Nuke pipeline, did you guys do your Masters or Ph.D through the Navy, and if so, how did you go about applying, and where did you go?

I guess the summary of my question for those who've done NUPOC is that will it help in the future, or would I just be better of getting a job (assuming I find one) out of college?

Thanks in advance!

Mostly_Harmless

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Debating the NUPOC Program
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 07:11 »
You're not going to be an NR Engineer.  Your GPA is not even close to acceptable.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 12:05 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline greenbean

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 10:06 »
NR Engineers normally go in with 3.8+ GPAs in Mechanical, Nuclear, and Electrical Engineering. (Other degrees are accepted, but those seem to be the top choices). The school you go to also matters.

With a 3.3, you can consider serving aboard a Submarine or a ship.

If your GPA is up to a 3.5 or better you have the option to serve as a Power School Instructor.

There are plenty of attractive benefits to serving in the Navy, but I would caution you to consider exactly why you are joining. If it is for the money, there are other places to work to make similar money and have a lot more freedom.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from checking out the program and asking questions. It's important that you consider the 8 year commitment (4 active, 4 reserve) that you are choosing to pursue.

We need good smart guys and gals on the boats and teaching in Power School. Check out those options and see what you find.

neutrons... Neutrons... NEUTRONS!

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 12:11 »
My original response was terse.  If you desire to pursue Subs or CVN, please send me a PM and I will gladly answer any NUPOC questions you have. 

NUPOC is a great deal.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Mostly_Harmless

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 02:33 »
Thanks for the replies guys, sorry for the late response, its been a busy week.

I realize my GPA is low for an NRE but I think I'll still try to apply for it, and as for my University, its one of the top 50 in the country. Since my recruiter hasn't said anything about my GPA I plan to apply to go on the VIP trip to see Surface Warfare as a back up.

Greenbean: When you say 4 active and 4 reserve, are we expected to still go through training on the 4 reserve years?

Offline NukeNTO

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 07:40 »
The commitment for Sub/SWO is actually 5 active 3 reserve.  For instructor it's 4 and 4.  I did NUPOC and became a Sub officer.  I think the program is great as long as you know what you're getting into.  It isn't an easy job and it's not a 40/hr a week job.  If you understand that going in and you're willing to do the extra work it can be very rewarding, a lot of guys get frustrated with it though.  If you have questions about NUPOC I'm happy to help you out. 

You can always apply for NR, but I'd put something else on there as well that way if it doesn't pan out you can might have options.   

Offline greenbean

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 09:11 »
As NukeNTO pointed out, NR, Subs, and SWO(N) are all 5 yrs active 3 years reserve. I want to say the reserve can be either ready reserve (active drilling, pay, benefits) or inactive reserve (no drill, no pay, no benefits, can be called up.)

Instructors are 4/4.

While websites will say that 3.3+ is the minimum, the reality is that the guys going up for NR tend to be in the 3.8+ range so being competitive means being in that range, especially because they take so few for NR. It really is the creme of the crop.

You will get three choices to fill in on your application. Fill out NR for the first one and then fill out the next two with your other choices (Subs, SWO(N), instructor). Your package will then be submitted and you will either get a screening for one of your desired positions or be denied an interview.

Note: if you ONLY want to consider NR, put that as your ONLY choice and leave the other two blank. Then you are either getting an interview as an NR eng or your package is being denied and you can re-evaluate your choices. You can submit another package if you find you still want to serve in a different capacity.

If you get the NR interview, get to DC and are selected then great!. If you get the interview and screw up royally, then the Admiral may give you the option to serve on a Sub or SWO(N) position. I saw that happen to one interviewee when I went up to DC. She was offered SWO(N) instead of NR.

I'm being as honest and sincere as I can be about this. From your stats so far, you would be in a good position to screen for Sub/SWO(N). NR is an extreme stretch.

Frankly, sub life can be great if you are a hard worker who likes challenges and traveling all over. Single guys can do really really well if they enjoy that kind of environment. But every job has its challenges, and those need to be seriously considered along with the benefits. (Money is not a good reason to serve in the military.)
neutrons... Neutrons... NEUTRONS!

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 12:51 »
Thanks for the replies guys, sorry for the late response, its been a busy week.
Greenbean: When you say 4 active and 4 reserve, are we expected to still go through training on the 4 reserve years?

As much as folks will through in their thoughts and two cents worth, on this particular subject, we do have a SME.  If you have further questions or just want more info before going back to the recuiter, I'd seriously suggest you PM Gamecock and discuss it with someone who knows the whole story.

JMO   [dowave]
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline NukeNTO

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Jun 15, 2011, 02:55 »
Your "reserve" time can be either drilling reserve or individual ready reserve (non-drilling).  I when I got out I drilled for about 6 months, but it didn't work well with my civilian work schedule so I transferred back to the IRR to finish my minimum service obligation. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?