Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Submarine "ENG"

Author Topic: Submarine "ENG"  (Read 13635 times)

rocketscientist

Submarine "ENG"
« on: May 12, 2011, 02:10 »
Hi All,

I was accepted into the NUPOC program in April for Subs. I've been prowling several different blogs and forums related to Navy Nukes (specifically subs), and I keep seeing this term ENG pop up. What is the ENG? I know after I report to the boat I'll have to get my quals, and one of the NTOs in DC mentioned the ENG exam as something very important to your career if you wish to continue serving as a Navy Nuke.

Please don't kill the newbie (in due time, I think newbie might evolve into nub for me  :'( )

-Nick
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 02:56 by rocketscientist »

rocketscientist

Re: Submarine "ENG"
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 02:56 »
^Thank you, it has been modified.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 03:00 »
ENG is short for Engineer, or Engineering officer, the department head of... you guessed it... the Engineering department. In sub speak, we usually use "eng" such as; "Hey Eng, I need to add a bottle to the primary." Kinda like "skipper" for the CO.

How is it pronounced??? Umm... maybe like inge? Haha.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 03:01 by TheHiggs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 04:53 »
Hi All,

I was accepted into the NUPOC program in April for Subs. I've been prowling several different blogs and forums related to Navy Nukes (specifically subs), and I keep seeing this term ENG pop up. What is the ENG? I know after I report to the boat I'll have to get my quals, and one of the NTOss in DC mentioned the ENG exam as something very important to your career if you wish to continue serving as a Navy Nuke.

Please don't kill the newbie (in due time, I think newbie might evolve into nub for me  :'( )

-Nick
On a submarine, you have Junior Officers (i.e. guys who are doing their initial tour on the boat, ENS to LT).  This will be you.

Then, you have department heads (guys who are doing their second submarine tour, senior LTs and LCDRs).  The Engineer...aka "ENG" is one of those guys.  He is in charge of all the nuclear stuff, including operations, training, etc).  The other department heads are "OPS" and "WEPS" and "CHOP"

Then you have an Executive Officer...aka "XO" who is a senior LCDR

Then you have the Commanding Officer....AKA "CO" "Charlie Oscar" "The old man"
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 04:54 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 05:00 »
The guys above hit who the ENG is. The NR guys are referring to qualifying Engineer, which you do toward the end of your JO tour. You go to PNEO for 8 weeks, take an exam, and then interview in DC. If you do not qualify Engineer, you cannot advance in the Submarine force. Very few people fail PNEO, so you don't really have to worry about it until the time comes.

Note that this does not make you the ENG on your boat, it just qualifies you to get slated for the job during SOAC.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 05:09 by spekkio »

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 08:32 »
On a submarine, you have Junior Officers (i.e. guys who are doing their initial tour on the boat, ENS to LT).  This will be you.

Then, you have department heads (guys who are doing their second submarine tour, senior LTs and LCDRs).  The Engineer...aka "ENG" is one of those guys.  He is in charge of all the nuclear stuff, including operations, training, etc).  The other department heads are "OPS" and "WEPS" and "CHOP"

Had a CO who hated the term "Skipper".  First day we met him:  "Don't call me Skipper.  Skipper was a fat f*&^ on Gilligan's Island."
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 08:33 »
Had a CO who hated the term "Skipper".  First day we met him:  "Don't call me Skipper.  Skipper was a fat f*&^ on Gilligan's Island."

That sucks.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 07:19 »
The NR guys are referring to qualifying Engineer, which you do toward the end of your JO tour. You go to PNEO for 8 weeks, take an exam, and then interview in DC. If you do not qualify Engineer, you cannot advance in the Submarine force. Very few people fail PNEO, so you don't really have to worry about it until the time comes.

Qualifying as Prospective Nuclear Engineering Officer (PNEO) is the the most important part of your JO tour (if you intend on staying in).  It qualifies you for the "nuclear bonus" which is currently $30,000/yr, and allows you to continue on as a submariner. 
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 01:26 »
Just to be clear, you have to sign a contract obligating you to a DH sea tour to get the $30k/yr bonus.

andrewnavy

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 10:40 »

It is so sad that the "Chop" is considered a DH.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 09:25 »

What is sadder are the officers who draw nuclear incentive pay and avoid nuclear power like the plague.  Similar to the enlisted who sign 14 month extensions to draw sub pay on shore duty and do everything possible to avoid what they've signed up for.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 09:46 »
What is sadder are the officers who draw nuclear incentive pay and avoid nuclear power like the plague.  Similar to the enlisted who sign 14 month extensions to draw sub pay on shore duty and do everything possible to avoid what they've signed up for.

To get the $30k/yr bonus, you must have a contract (3* or more years), which obligates you to go back to sea.  Hard to do much to avoid going back to sea if under this without disqualifying oneself from nuclear duty, and thus losing eligibility to draw this bonus.

Nuclear Officer incentive pay requires no contract, and pays guys $12,500/yr if they are a nuke, PNEO qualified, past MSR, and on active duty on 1 October.  That's the rules.  If you don't like 'em, lobby your congressman to change the law that governs nuclear officer incentive pay. 

I've made choices in my career to avoid going back to sea.  Sorry if you feel that I'm a lesser man because of it.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 01:32 »
To get the $30k/yr bonus, you must have a contract (3* or more years), which obligates you to go back to sea.  Hard to do much to avoid going back to sea if under this without disqualifying oneself from nuclear duty, and thus losing eligibility to draw this bonus.

Nuclear Officer incentive pay requires no contract, and pays guys $12,500/yr if they are a nuke, PNEO qualified, past MSR, and on active duty on 1 October.  That's the rules.  If you don't like 'em, lobby your congressman to change the law that governs nuclear officer incentive pay. 

I've made choices in my career to avoid going back to sea.  Sorry if you feel that I'm a lesser man because of it.

Quite the contrary.   I have no problem with anyone taking advantage of incentives that capitalize on their experience.  My issue when I was active duty were the guys who were more than happy to sign up for extra money only to give half-hearted effort when the navy expected them to go back to sea.  On the same token I hated it when guys who stated their desire to get out at EAOS were looked down upon. I obviously hit a nerve.  Not my intention.  Now back to my weekend with Mrs. Murray.
T. Roosevelt

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 12:19 »
To get the $30k/yr bonus, you must have a contract (3* or more years), which obligates you to go back to sea.  Hard to do much to avoid going back to sea if under this without disqualifying oneself from nuclear duty, and thus losing eligibility to draw this bonus.

Nuclear Officer incentive pay requires no contract, and pays guys $12,500/yr if they are a nuke, PNEO qualified, past MSR, and on active duty on 1 October.  That's the rules.  If you don't like 'em, lobby your congressman to change the law that governs nuclear officer incentive pay.  

I've made choices in my career to avoid going back to sea.  Sorry if you feel that I'm a lesser man because of it.
To add to this, the $30k/yr is essentially a DH bonus; it is not an ENG bonus. Prospective DH's don't get to choose a $30k/yr bonus to become an ENG or foregoing it to be a NAV or the WEPS.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:19 by spekkio »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 02:14 »
To add to this, the $30k/yr is essentially a DH bonus;

No its not.

The XO and CO, as well as a variety of other folks not serving as DHs can draw the "big" bonus.

A SWO(N) can get the "big" bonus after finishing up their first tour on a CVN and never do another nuclear tour.

An EDO(N) can even get the "big" bonus for at least 7 years without going back to sea.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 11:10 »

You'll be saying that again the next time you need a Nuclear Level 1  or SubSafe part to finish an emergency repair.
Or, when you sit down to eat your dinner, prepared by the lowest ranking, lowest paid, least educated people on the boat and it doesn't kill you with food poisoning.

If you don't understand that every single job on a submarine is vital to the mission, then try spending 90 days at sea on one where there was nobody in charge of getting you toilet paper.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?