Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Seeking good multiple choice test for review
honeypot

Author Topic: Seeking good multiple choice test for review  (Read 27178 times)

Cycoticpenguin

Seeking good multiple choice test for review
« on: May 18, 2011, 11:42 »
We have our comprehensive exam in a couple weeks, and Im trying to get a "practice test" together for some of the weaker students to help them practice. If anyone has a good source, please lemme know.

Right now im sifting through the NRC fundamentals exam bank, but most of the questions are out of the scope for us.

Courses ->
Math -> through basic trig
Heat Xfer, fluid dynamics, thermo
basic chemistry
reactor physics
reactor theory
detectors and controllers (I & C stuff)
classical physics
AC and DC theory
material science

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Offline namlive

• Moderate User
Re: Seeking good multiple choice test for review
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 07:43 »
If you are taking a multiple choice test, there is an art to them.
1) If you have two answers that are opposites, usually one of those in the answer.
2) The longest answer is mostly likely the correct one, especially if it is exceeding longer than the other ones. Remember, people have to make up wrong answers, so they tend to keep them short.
3) When in total doubt, "C."
4) If two answers are correct and you have "all of the above" that is the one you choose.
5) If it is NRRPT and "Compton's Scattering is a choice, that is most likely the answer (they love CS).
6) Responses that use absolute words, such as "always" or "never" are less likely to be correct than ones that use conditional words like "usually" or "probably."
7)"Funny" responses are usually wrong.
8) Look for grammatical clues. If the stem ends with the indefinite article "an," for example, then the correct response probably begins with a vowel. 
9) Look for verbal associations. A response that repeats key words that are in the stem is likely to be correct.
i.e Who is responsible for the electrical maintenance?
a) electrician b) mechanic c. rad con, d) QA
No one gets out alive.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 07:50 »
No disrespect intended, and I appreciate the advice to me :) BUT this really isnt for me :D   Im just looking for general questions so I can make practice tests for the weaker students instead of "writing my own". A couple guys are struggling, and Id like it if they didnt get fired like the other couple. Just trying to prepare them as much as possible, you understand.

I will pass your advice down though :)

Offline bradley535

• Light User
  • My employer found me at NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 11:36 »
Charlie,
   Help me out here; I'm really confused by your post. Specifically about the part that says that most of the questions in the NRC exam bank are out of scope... Am I missing some key information to where that will make sense. Are you not talking about the NRC Generic Fundamentals examination? If you are, I can tell you that doing past exams was about the best thing that members in our class did. I think I ended up doing eight of them, and when the comprehensive came around I had already seen half the questions. Like I said, maybe I'm missing something.
   Good luck and keep us posted,
      Bradley
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 11:38 by bradley535 »

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 11:39 »
Our EO classes cover GFES but stop at the company final... seems you guys are taking a watered-down version?  Allenmurrow.com is useful to prepare random GFES tests but I realize that may not be helpful.  Helping others with specific problems or general operational experience is one thing, but it's not your job to go over and above like that.  Why don't you speak with the EO Lead Instructor about them having practice quizzes prepared or some form of an exam bank to study from?  If you don't get the response you expect, try speaking to the SOS or another Ops manager about how training is failing you and the rest of your group.  If you don't get the desired response at that level, quit.  

Still feel this way?
I applied at several hiring excelon plants and never heard back. I work at entergy, a much better company ;) As justin says, ignore my posts
Some might argue that the only truth in this statement was the last three words...

I bet the fired few wish they hadn't received that call...
Entergy likes to call people back in my experience ;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 11:44 by a|F »

Offline Bleyse

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 01:15 »
I think Charlie's class is a NLO class, not an initial license class.  Thus the reason the NRC exam bank questions are 'out of scope'.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 07:43 »
Our EO classes cover GFES but stop at the company final... seems you guys are taking a watered-down version?  Allenmurrow.com is useful to prepare random GFES tests but I realize that may not be helpful.  Helping others with specific problems or general operational experience is one thing, but it's not your job to go over and above like that.  Why don't you speak with the EO Lead Instructor about them having practice quizzes prepared or some form of an exam bank to study from?  If you don't get the response you expect, try speaking to the SOS or another Ops manager about how training is failing you and the rest of your group.  If you don't get the desired response at that level, quit.  

Still feel this way?Some might argue that the only truth in this statement was the last three words...

I bet the fired few wish they hadn't received that call...

You are way out of line here. I dont need to hear you say Im not doing my job when Im helping others pass their classes. Its not your decision to fire/hire anyone here, you dont work here, you dont know the story. Telling me to quit when I can take care of something like this in my own capacity is equally outrageous.

Allow me : "7. Organizational learning is embraced." Management here has given the expectation that struggling students are to seek assistance through instructors, management, AND peers. Instructors give us practice problems. We've done all the practice problems they have.

Basically, Im looking for a college level multiple choice reference (found a couple through google) in the scope of an NLO class.

Bradley535 -> As belyse states, Im a lowly NLO :D. The NRC bank is 1000 pages long and a good chunk of those questions dont apply to us yet :D Our BWR tech school will bring a lot more of that in play when we get there, we're just finishing up fundamentals in a couple weeks.

Offline JoshD1982

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 06:51 »
I just took the GFES final last week.  From what I have learned the NRC exam bank has questions of varying difficulty.  Although all of our questions came from the NRC I do think this will benefit the people in your class whom are struggling.  Download the exam bank on to your computer narrowed by topic i.e not components but sensors and detectors.  Ask your peers what kind of questions they have been missing and do a word search for them.  On top of the question there will be a k and a number that will correlate to similar questions.  If you pm me I can even give you the exam banks with detailed instructions on how to do every problem. I have them on my pc.

Josh

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 06:53 »
1) If you have two answers that are opposites, usually one of those in the answer.
2) The longest answer is mostly likely the correct one, especially if it is exceeding longer than the other ones. Remember, people have to make up wrong answers, so they tend to keep them short.
4) If two answers are correct and you have "all of the above" that is the one you choose.
5) If it is NRRPT and "Compton's Scattering is a choice, that is most likely the answer (they love CS).
6) Responses that use absolute words, such as "always" or "never" are less likely to be correct than ones that use conditional words like "usually" or "probably."
8) Look for grammatical clues. If the stem ends with the indefinite article "an," for example, then the correct response probably begins with a vowel. 
9) Look for verbal associations. A response that repeats key words that are in the stem is likely to be correct.

Are you in Ops?

MacGyver

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 07:31 »

Are you in Ops?

No, I doubt it BZ.  In fact anyone using his method would fail our tests.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 07:33 by MacGyver »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 07:34 »

Disagree. Some of these methods are exactly what one can use on the GFES exam.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Pman52

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 07:35 »

Thank you.

MacGyver

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 07:39 »

Justin, I am refering to our "OPS" tests.  Is that not what we are talking about?  GFES is a different animal.  Everyone that failed out of systems, at my plant, passed GFES just fine.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 07:40 »
Justin, I am refering to our "OPS" tests.  Is that not what we are talking about?  GFES is a different animal.  Everyone that failed out of systems, at my plant, passed GFES just fine.

I concur when it comes to ops tests and systems.

However, considering CM is talking about his class being in general fundamentals, I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that namlive's tips were referring to that test. Which, we all know, is full of patterns and "when it says this... the answer is C" type of questions.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

MacGyver

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 07:44 »
I concur when it comes to ops tests and systems.

However, considering CM is talking about his class being in general fundamentals, I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that namlive's tips were referring to that test. Which, we all know, is full of patterns and "when it says this... the answer is C" type of questions.

Understood.

CM I can't give you any of the tests I've seen due to security protocols and what not.  Sorry, you'll have to use your company's quiz bank.  I don't have a lead on any other material to offer.  It's good you are helping.  Just don't let it frustrate you or frazzle you.

Mac

Pman52

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 07:49 »
I'm currently getting straightened out on the difference as well thanks to Justin.

Fermi2

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 09:01 »

He said Our tests. By that I believe he means a real NRC, Audit, and training exam. Those methods wouldn't work.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 01:43 »
gentlemen, swords away please :D.  Hes just trying to help, and a lot of his advice is somewhat practicable to NLO stuff. however, if you dont understand the difference between transitions and conversions, not much help to be had by that :D

Mac- > I know, most of your stuff would be above and beyond anyway. Im lookin for fundamentals stuff at a college level. I've always been more concerned about people understanding the subject vs "knowing the answer". If you understand it, you can usually derive your own, correct, answers that way.  Im not going to get frustrated about this kind of stuff, because as A F stated, its really not my job to do this. That said, Ive never heard of a "company quiz bank" o.O.

thank you again guys.

Offline namlive

• Moderate User
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 02:39 »
I will say that I have passed many exams cold, some in fields in which I have little knowledge using these methods. I have also found exceptions to every one of my methods except for the grammar aspect. Some test makers are smart enough to use (s) or a(n) on their words, most are not. SRS for example has gotten away from "C" answers and use "A" or "B" answers more heavily unless you take the first-aid CPR exam then there are no "B" answers in their 20 question exam.  "All of the above" is still a favorite gimme question on GET type exams attempting to qualify people whose first language may not be English.
No one gets out alive.

Offline Creeker

• Moderate User
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 04:30 »
I think most utilities use a program, such as VISION, which automatically shuffles the answers of questions.  Also, we know about things like long and short answers, and so try to make them approx the same length.  Wish I could help you with the questions.. All the utilities have question banks.  But the utilities for whatever reason don't want to put their questions out there.  I think it's a pretty good thing for you to try and help the stragglers.. Test taking is a skill that some never master, and as you move up from ILO to RO/SRO, that ability to take multiple choice exams is pretty important.

Offline namlive

• Moderate User
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2011, 11:09 »
Either I am correct about multiple guess tests or I really do have an IQ of  150.
No one gets out alive.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 11:21 »
Either I am correct about multiple guess tests or I really do have an IQ of  150.

Multiple guess? Mike and Mac are right, you've never taken an operator's exam.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 04:59 »
namlive, sounds like how I take my advancement exams in the navy.

I assumed that operator exams at a civilian plant would be like nuke tests in the navy: here's x number of questions, hope your hand doesn't cramp up before you're done.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 05:32 »

I assumed that operator exams at a civilian plant would be like nuke tests in the navy: here's x number of questions, hope your hand doesn't cramp up before you're done.

Not even close lol.

Fermi2

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2011, 05:45 »

LOL Heck no. Why would they be? Navy exams don't test knowledge or understanding. They test your ability to regurgitate.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?