Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Enlisted Nuke to Nuclear Reactors

Author Topic: Enlisted Nuke to Nuclear Reactors  (Read 7359 times)

Offline Troka

• Very Lite User
Enlisted Nuke to Nuclear Reactors
« on: Jul 13, 2011, 03:03 »
I'm recently enlisted with the Navy with an NF contract. I wanted to go to school for Nuclear Physics but I couldn't pay for school so I looked into the Navy. They told me about the Nuclear Field and it was pretty interesting but what really got to me was when I did my own research and looked into STA-21. I saw the opportunity to go to college and get a commission. I want a commission as a Naval Reactors Engineer but I don't know if STA-21 will get me there. I really want to work in system design. So my questions are these:

-Can you become a Reactors Engineer right after STA-21?
and
-Can you start off as a SWO(N) or Sub Officer and then work at Naval Reactors?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Enlisted Nuke to Nuclear Reactors
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2011, 06:25 »

-Can you become a Reactors Engineer right after STA-21?
It is possible, but extremely unlikely. 

-Can you start off as a SWO(N) or Sub Officer and then work at Naval Reactors?[/center]

Yes, you can.  ;)
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Troka

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2011, 06:29 »
Simple answers that work perfectly for me, thank you GC. From what I've seen you're the resident expert here and I'm glad you answered.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2011, 10:16 »
You can also stay enlisted and go NR (not likely and you have to be pretty hot to do so, and I've only seen it twice, both at NPTU) or go LDO and go NR (slightly more likely but you also have to be hot, I've seen this a few more times, but still less than 10)

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2011, 11:01 »
You can also stay enlisted and go NR (not likely and you have to be pretty hot to do so, and I've only seen it twice, both at NPTU) or go LDO and go NR (slightly more likely but you also have to be hot, I've seen this a few more times, but still less than 10)

There are a handful of enlisted billets, most of them in the line locker.  There are also a couple of Master Chiefs that are in technical shops (both surface guys).

As a JO, you can get shore duty at NR..... in order to do this, you must do very well on your PNEO exam.  Some folks have parlayed that shore duty job into a permanent job at NR.

“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Troka

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Jul 14, 2011, 04:39 »
MMM, I don't think I'll stay enlisted. I'm more interested in the research and development side of things. I was actually asked to help work on a project involving Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy in order to develop new technologies revolving around it by my former calculus instructor. What those things are I can't say since I would likely be seriously reprimanded. Non-disclosure agreements were signed and everything. I would haven been able to put NMRS research in my resume, but I wouldn't be able to go into any further detail than that until the agreed time. The reason I didn't take the opportunity, I couldn't afford school. They said that they would leave a spot open for me if I needed the work and they were still pursuing it.

GC, so if I went the sub route I would do my 3 year sea tour and then do 2 shore duty at NR if I did well on the PNEO? Would there be any way to study for the PNEO before hand? I've always been good at science so I'm sure I'll do well during A-School and NNPS. Also, my nuclear recruiter told me that I was eligible for ET(N), do you know if that that would possibly help with STA-21? And would you recommend ET(N) in the event I don't get picked up for STA-21? I've done some research on it and it looks like a good deal but I would just like the opinion of someone who's been in the nuclear field.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #6 on: Jul 14, 2011, 09:54 »
GC, so if I went the sub route I would do my 3 year sea tour and then do 2 shore duty at NR if I did well on the PNEO? Would there be any way to study for the PNEO before hand? I've always been good at science so I'm sure I'll do well during A-School and NNPS. Also, my nuclear recruiter told me that I was eligible for ET(N), do you know if that that would possibly help with STA-21? And would you recommend ET(N) in the event I don't get picked up for STA-21? I've done some research on it and it looks like a good deal but I would just like the opinion of someone who's been in the nuclear field.

You are correct on JO career path....3 year sea tour, two year shore duty.  Getting a shore duty at NR is as much about timing as it is doing well on your PNEO exam.  There has to be a billet open for you to go in to. 

PNEO exam consists of a reactor theory section, a fluids section, an electrical section, a chem/radcon section, and an operational section.  It consists of written test, and oral exam which is in DC at NR Headquarters.  The written test will always have reactor theory.  The oral exam will always have operations.  Whatever section you don't get written will be your other oral section. 

So, you can effectively start studying for your PNEO exam the day you start A School ;)

Anyway, all rates have their pluses and minuses....I've known good officers who were prior from every rate.

Cheers,
GC

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2011, 01:17 »
I'll chime in...
If it has been said once, it has been said a thousand times on these boards....
If you want to be an engineer, go get an engineering degree.  There is a way to pay for school, you just haven't found it yet.  Where there is a will, there is a way.
Recognizing that I've been extremely fortunate in my own career, I would not hang my dreams of working at NRHQ or an NR Field Office (no design work there) on an enlisted path.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline USSMiamiElex

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Aug 30, 2011, 10:17 »
I'll chime in...
If it has been said once, it has been said a thousand times on these boards....
If you want to be an engineer, go get an engineering degree.  There is a way to pay for school, you just haven't found it yet.  Where there is a will, there is a way.
Recognizing that I've been extremely fortunate in my own career, I would not hang my dreams of working at NRHQ or an NR Field Office (no design work there) on an enlisted path.

Here Here. 

Plus, he doesnt want to be an engineer.  He wants to be a physics scientist.  At least it reads that way.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?