Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Question about TVA

Author Topic: Question about TVA  (Read 13418 times)

Hitec757

Question about TVA
« on: Jul 23, 2011, 07:17 »
I'm retired from the Federal Govt and I'm interested in TVA as a potential employer as I start a second career.  I can't work for another federal agency w/o major complications for my retirement.  Is TVA a federal agency or not?  I emailed tvainfo and got a copy of the same thing I found on their site that said "The Tennessee Valley Authority is a federal corporation".  Never heard of a federal corporation.  May not be a question ever asked here before as its kind of a unique situation.  I can look elsewhere for jobs, but  TVA has a lot of facilities in an area of the country I really like.  Thanks in advance for any info.

Fermi2

Re: Question about TVA
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2011, 07:19 »
Federal Agency

Hitec757

« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2011, 07:34 »
Solves that issue, thanks.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Jul 25, 2011, 06:25 »
I wouldn't write off a TVA because of previous government retirement.  TVA has its own retirement system.  There may be effects on vacation and sick time.  I'd look into it deeper before tossing TVA aside.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Hitec757

« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2011, 09:58 »
Well, I can look farther but TVA didn't respond, twice.  This is no doubt a very rare question and options may exist, maybe.  I can try OPM.  It would be great if TVA is an option as so far its my #1 choice if they take entry-level ops people and I could get picked up.  I'm sure Broadzilla is correct in that it is a Federal Agency, but there might be a technicality there with the Federal Corporation, its worth a try.  Thanks guys. 

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2011, 10:07 »
I'm CERTAIN Broadzilla WORKS for TVA....

Hitec757

« Reply #6 on: Jul 25, 2011, 10:15 »
You're CERTAIN that the rules would affect my retirement?

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Jul 25, 2011, 10:20 »
Sigh, you don't read very well do you? When did I ever say that? I simply posted Federal Agency. Nothing more...

Polish your reading skills son.

Hitec757

« Reply #8 on: Jul 25, 2011, 10:24 »
"I'm CERTAIN Broadzilla WORKS for TVA...."

"Sigh, you don't read very well do you? When did I ever say that? I simply posted Federal Agency. Nothing more..."

No one questioned whether you worked there.  Maybe you should polish your reading skill and drop the attitude.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Jul 26, 2011, 06:53 »
I have a Navy retirement and work for TVA.  There are several people at my plant in the same shoes.  There are also people who work here who are retired from TVA and work for contractors.  I don't know how that works and haven't had the need to look into it (yet).   
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Jul 26, 2011, 09:59 »

"Sigh, you don't read very well do you? When did I ever say that? I simply posted Federal Agency. Nothing more..."

No one questioned whether you worked there.  Maybe you should polish your reading skill and drop the attitude.

All BZ said in his posts was that TVA was a federal agency, nothing more, nothing less. If you look at any of his posts, he typically takes that attitude when somebody says something he sees as stupid.
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2011, 10:01 by MMM »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #11 on: Jul 26, 2011, 10:00 »

No one questioned whether you worked there.  Maybe you should polish your reading skill and drop the attitude.

He can't. If he dropped the attitude he would disappear like Echo of Greek Mythology.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #12 on: Jul 26, 2011, 10:24 »

A short clip of Broadzilla dealing with newbies...

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Jul 26, 2011, 11:14 »
BZ and Starkist welcome a new guy.  You decide who's who:

T. Roosevelt

Hitec757

« Reply #14 on: Jul 26, 2011, 03:03 »
"All BZ said in his posts was that TVA was a federal agency, nothing more, nothing less. If you look at any of his posts, he typically takes that attitude when somebody says something he sees as stupid."

Then he has a vision problem also.

Hitec757

« Reply #15 on: Jul 26, 2011, 03:08 »
I have a Navy retirement and work for TVA.  There are several people at my plant in the same shoes.  There are also people who work here who are retired from TVA and work for contractors.  I don't know how that works and haven't had the need to look into it (yet).   

Thanks, thats what I was looking for, someone who has a retirement and works there as an example.  I sent an email to OPM and they'll have a definitive answer about my agency and there, but it will take weeks for the reply.  TVA is the only nuke company that I've seen as a Federal Corporation, are there more? 

MacGyver

« Reply #16 on: Jul 26, 2011, 05:30 »
Just to be clear.  No one knows the answer (at least here at nw) to your question about it affecting your xy or z.  As to whether you could hired at TVA (ie the question another thread) .. The answer is yes.  I know an A&P that got hired directly as a SGPO.  He moved his address to within the hiring radius & the rest of the story is he was successful at getting hired.  Stop stirring the pot please.  Thanks. :)

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Jul 26, 2011, 06:47 »
BZ and Starkist welcome a new guy.  You decide who's who:

I've always imagined myself as more of a "Smithers" kinda guy....

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #18 on: Jul 26, 2011, 07:37 »
"All BZ said in his posts was that TVA was a federal agency, nothing more, nothing less. If you look at any of his posts, he typically takes that attitude when somebody says something he sees as stupid."

Then he has a vision problem also.

Seems like the attitude came from you.... But then what do I know.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #19 on: Jul 26, 2011, 07:45 »
I've always imagined myself as more of a "Smithers" kinda guy....

Either way, kiss a$$ sums it up. :P
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #20 on: Jul 26, 2011, 07:58 »

Laughs... Now that there was funny!

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #21 on: Jul 26, 2011, 08:36 »

If by a "kiss @$$" you are implying "opportunistic deliverance of adulation"... then so be it. :p

You dont become successful with hard work and determination, you get there with a silver-tongue and tasteful flattery. Right? ;)

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #22 on: Jul 26, 2011, 10:07 »
Something like that. ;D
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #23 on: Jul 27, 2011, 07:24 »
If by a "kiss @$$" you are implying "opportunistic deliverance of adulation"... then so be it. :p

You dont become successful with hard work and determination, you get there with a silver-tongue and tasteful flattery. Right? ;)

If that is how you measure success, you deserve what you get.

[OT] [hijack] [OT] [hijack] [OT] [hijack]
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?