Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Worried about my security clearance.....

Author Topic: Worried about my security clearance.....  (Read 9049 times)

EskimoWife

Worried about my security clearance.....
« on: Aug 10, 2011, 03:12 »
Hi I'm really excited to enlist as a Nuke and should be going to MEPS before the end of the month but I'm worried about getting the security clearance I need.  My main concerns are a) my mom is German, she has a green card; b) I was born in Germany but am and always have been a US citizen; c) I've travelled to Germany a few times and have relatives over there; and d) I personally some debt, about $2000 to Lincoln Military Housing from when my husband was in the Navy, $200 on a bank account, and paying off my Cobra, which we got behind on for a while but have set up a payment arrangement via lawyer that is filed with the local court. I really really want to be a Nuke, strongly leaning towards MM at the moment, but the clearance is keeping me up at night.  Can someone give me thoughts/comments/advice on this please? I already checked the pre-existing pages on waviers, I'm kinda unique lol

Oh also, I graduated HS with a 3.6, was National Honors Society, no grades below a C, no police record, no drug use.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: Worried about my security clearance.....
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2011, 03:37 »
Sell the Cobra.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

EskimoWife

« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2011, 03:50 »
So basically I think I'll need a Type 2 citizenship determination and a Type 2 financial determination.  As to the Cobra, we've tried to sell it. The engine is toast, the car is dead sitting in a friend's garage on the other side of the country, and no one will pay even a grand for a dead car  :(

EskimoWife

« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2011, 03:52 »
And thanks for the link :)

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2011, 03:55 »
Ouch. Good luck!
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

EskimoWife

« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2011, 03:56 »
Ugh thanks. Obstacles seem to love me...

EskimoWife

« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2011, 03:58 »
Would love to fix it and drive it again. Luckily my husband's a mechanic, just gotta get it shipped out here

EskimoWife

« Reply #8 on: Aug 10, 2011, 04:09 »
So what exactly are these determinations?  Does someone basically just review your situation and then decides if you qualify?  I plan on paying off Lincoln Housing with my bonus, and making a significant "good faith payment" towards the Cobra. The bank account I plan to have paid up before I go to MEPS

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #9 on: Aug 10, 2011, 04:43 »
BK might be a better option...

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #10 on: Aug 10, 2011, 06:51 »
I've known nukes married to Colombian nationals and Chinese nationals.  It will likely take longer to get the clearance.  Your debt is likely a bigger stumbling block unless you can show that you have a plan and are executing it.  Your recruiter should be able to help with this so long as you provide him all the facts.  If your do well on the ASVAB and NFQT (or whatever it's called now) he will be more motivated to help you.  He should give you an assessment test to have an idea of how you'll do on the real exams.  Good luck!  If you want it, don't give up.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Aug 10, 2011, 06:59 »
I've known nukes married to Colombian nationals and Chinese nationals.  It will likely take longer to get the clearance.  Your debt is likely a bigger stumbling block unless you can show that you have a plan and are executing it.  Your recruiter should be able to help with this so long as you provide him all the facts.  If your do well on the ASVAB and NFQT (or whatever it's called now) he will be more motivated to help you.  He should give you an assessment test to have an idea of how you'll do on the real exams.  Good luck!  If you want it, don't give up.

It's called the NAPT (Navy Advanced Programs Test) and there's info about it in Chapter 4, Section 1 of the link I sent previously.

I don't know why I'm feeling nice today.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Aug 10, 2011, 08:15 »
*puts on tough love hat*

Stop counting your chickens before they hatch. There's a fair chance you wont even GET the enlistment bonus. Following that, you wont see a dime of it for at least a year.

Set up payment plan before you leave, it will do a lot in your favor.

Didn't you hear? Everyone is unique...

And finally, when you get out of bootcamp, I HIGHLY recommend talking to a command finance advisor.
*takes off hat*

One of the hardest things ive had to learn is to not stress about things you cant do anything about. Make a plan b, and hope for the best.

Good luck and hopefully things will work out!

EskimoWife

« Reply #13 on: Aug 13, 2011, 02:23 »
On the little practice ASVAB I took the 1st time I met with my recruiter I got a 95. And no matter what I enlist as I'd still be making 3 times what I make at my current job even as an E-1.  That will make a world of a difference in my financial situation. Right now we often have to choose between food and having gas to get to work.

EskimoWife

« Reply #14 on: Aug 13, 2011, 06:14 »
My debt is under $10,000 it's just tricky to tackle when I'm lucky to make $300 bi-weekly right now   :hole:

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #15 on: Aug 13, 2011, 10:19 »
under those conditions, you should look into a bankruptcy

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #16 on: Aug 14, 2011, 04:53 »
My debt is under $10,000 it's just tricky to tackle when I'm lucky to make $300 bi-weekly right now   :hole:

Look, there are 2 of you? Any kids?
At minimum wage, with both of you just working 40 hours/wk you should be taking home $450/wk between the two of you. McDs and Walmart are hiring. Most everyone here works >40 hrs/wk. Several of us have worked extra jobs to make ends meet while in the service, or in school. Hustle and you can do it. If you are making $300/biweekly you aren't working full time.

Good luck
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?