Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu TESC is getting ABET accreditation
honeypot

Author Topic: TESC is getting ABET accreditation  (Read 11892 times)

mannjw

TESC is getting ABET accreditation
« on: Aug 18, 2011, 09:06 »
I've read through these boards a pretty good while now and first off I'd like say say Hi! this is a great resource for those in our job field and I am glad I came across it.

Now for the good stuff.

Not sure how many of you out there know this but Thomas Edison is making minor changes to their Nuclear Engineering Technology degree and is set to receive TAC/ABET accreditation mid-2012. I'm currently enrolled for this. Hopefully it will give the degree a little more weight for perspective job opportunities. If you're interested in doing this the only difference from the current degree is the addition of two classes. A nuclear capstone course and Ethics and business for the Professional. any other questions I can answer let me know and I'll try and answer them the best I can.

Offline itsfoxx

• Lurker
Re: TESC is getting ABET accreditation
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2012, 01:29 »
Any updates on this?  I've been trying to google around and see if they've got their accreditation as of present.  I haven't been able to find anything.  I guess I could always just give them a call..... ???

drayer54

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2012, 08:30 »
I have heard the TESC types talking about this for some time. If you want an ABET accredited Nuclear Engineering Technology Bachelor of Science, you must go to either University of North Texas (Denton...yawn) or Excelsior College (online).

http://main.abet.org/aps/Accreditedprogramsearch.aspx

TESC has no ABET accredited programs. This can make a huge difference for grad schools and some jobs.

I finished the Excelsior program last year and have no complaints.

Good Luck!

Offline Rod Puller

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2012, 04:54 »
I just got my BSAST from TESC this past March.  I was taking classes along with several of the guys I worked with at prototype however I was the only one in the bunch that had Current Trends and Applications in my degree plan.  I went and spoke with Gary, the TESC representative in PSD Charleston, about it and he informed me that I was selected for a pilot program for TESC's ABET accreditation.  This upper level course was the only difference between my course load and everyone else's.  I didn't mind taking the class since it gave me the credit hours I needed for residency that I otherwise would have chosen electives to satisfy.  I haven't heard anything else about this since then (took the course last summer).  In no way do I intend to refute or validate this ABET accreditation rumor; just discussing my experiences.

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2012, 03:33 »
Any new developments on this?

I've seen that TESC received a $200k grant from the NRC to develop their ABET program, but can't find anything on any site yet. I have a good friend also enrolled currently.

Just curious.

mannjw

« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2012, 12:14 »
Just got the email. It's official TESC nuclear energy engineering technology degree program is Abet accredited.

The Thomas Edison State College bachelor's degree in Nuclear Energy

Engineering Technology has been granted accreditation by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET.

This internationally recognized accreditation confirms that our program meets with the quality assurance benchmarks set forth by ABET and will serve adult learners interested in advancing in the nuclear energy engineering industry.

milo124

« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2012, 12:33 »
I just received this email as well.  Great news.

Offline shipoffools

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2012, 07:37 »
Hopefully true, but its not listed on ABET's website.

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2012, 09:01 »
ABET probably won't update their site for a while. It's on TESC's homepage (under their news section).

Offline aschom

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2012, 09:14 »
I also searched the ABET website and I did not see it listed. I looked at the Thomas Edison website and they offer two separate degrees now. The one that is ABET certified, according to the TESC website, is nuclear energy engineering technology. It appears they have developed a new program to reward credit for navy and commercial nuclear training programs.

http://www.tesc.edu/ast/bsast/Nuclear-Energy-Engineering.cfm
http://www.tesc.edu/documents/Nuclear_Training_Credit_App.pdf

I left the Navy 10 years ago with the old non ABET degree, and I completed a MBA. Within the last year, I returned to nuclear power and began ILT for RO. I understand the pro's and cons's of TESC and ABET and non-ABET and I am not looking to start another discussion along those lines here as there are lots of previous discussions. I understand each utility is different and I will pose the same question at work with my decision makers, but I am also looking for a industry perspective from people at different utilities. Would converting the non-ABET degree to ABET be significantly beneficial for career development after completing RO and upgrade to SRO?

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Aug 28, 2012, 09:30 »
It will not be significantly beneficial for your operations career.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?