Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Is being a nuclear operator stressfull and physical? honeypot

Author Topic: Is being a nuclear operator stressfull and physical?  (Read 9741 times)

Offline weatherby460

• Light User
Please tell me about it...is it stressful, physical, mentally challenging?  Thanks

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: Is being a nuclear operator stressfull and physical?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2011, 05:12 »
Yep.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

MacGyver

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2011, 08:46 »
Please tell me about it...is it stressful, physical, mentally challenging?  Thanks

Just give up and surrender.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2011, 08:52 »

Offline weatherby460

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2011, 07:50 »
no offense...but you people have alot of inside jokes i notice

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2011, 10:59 »
My reply wasn't a joke. It was the shortest truthful answer possible.

Being a nuclear operator is all of the things you said.

NLO isn't so much stress as it is physical. Walking for hours, bending, lifting, carrying, operating equipment, etc.

RO/SRO isn't so much physical as it is stressful. You're given volumes upon volumes of information and you have to know all of it. You have to know each of a million alarms and be able to decipher which is most important. Besides the nuclear part, you have the volumes upon volumes of federal, state and local regulations you have to know. You have to be able to get your work done on schedule while operating the plant safely..., not always the easiest thing to do. Someone is always looking at your work, scrutinizing it and Monday morning quarterbacking it..., you're always in jeopardy of losing your license, being fired, or being fined for your mistakes. There are shifts that at the end of, I felt like someone took my brain and threw it in the microwave. So yeah, its stressful and mentally challenging at times. It is also greatly rewarding as well.

So those are the basis statements behind my "yep."

Justin

PS Operators also need to have a thick skin. Just sayin.
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2011, 11:05 by TheHiggs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

MacGyver

« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2011, 02:19 »
no offense...but you people have alot of inside jokes i notice

You sure you are not related to this poster (re: Hitec757)?

Offline weatherby460

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2011, 04:07 »
Basically i am trying to learn about this as much as I can. 

Fermi2

« Reply #9 on: Sep 24, 2011, 04:32 »
Try the search function.

MacGyver

« Reply #10 on: Sep 24, 2011, 07:20 »
How about YOU pick any thread in the "getting in", "testing & training" or "nuclear operator" forums & read them.  Stop pan handling (re: asking FAQ) & acting like WE owe you something.  WE don't.

Offline weatherby460

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Sep 24, 2011, 08:17 »
i did a search for physical requirements and found nothing

MacGyver

« Reply #12 on: Sep 24, 2011, 08:38 »
First, I will agree the search functions (all three) have been acting funny.  BUT, my suggestion was to start reading the various threads in certain forums.  I did not suggest you search only (or at all).  Second, I have researched your posts & you are not even looking at the threads already posted or searching for info.  So, do not try to blow sunshine our direction that you are doing so.  I can tell you that I know of not one operator with a pace-maker.

Offline broovy

• Very Lite User
« Reply #13 on: Sep 25, 2011, 05:03 »
NLO can be a very physically stressful job (at times).  Spending hours turning large valves in 100+ degree environments while wearing full protective clothing. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?