Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu nps car? honeypot

Author Topic: nps car?  (Read 36179 times)

Adidas2806

nps car?
« on: Oct 14, 2004, 11:52 »
are yuo allowed to have a vehicle while at school in charleston? just an oddball question my idiot for a recruiter didnt seem to know. thanks!

jeepgirl1

Re: nps car?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2004, 07:48 »
My recruiter said that yes we could have a car.  He said whether there would  actually be time to use it is a completely different story  ;) :P ;).
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2004, 07:49 by jeepgirl1 »

SSN21LELT

« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2004, 10:01 »
Yes, you can have a car at Nuke School.  No, you won't have much time to use it, but you'll want it anyway.

ET3Workman

« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2004, 12:26 »
You won't have any time for one? Whatever, I'm in NPS right now. I've been here for 8 months now, and I don't have car. This stuff about not having time for a car is a little exaggerated. Jesus, you got people talking about how they spend every waking moment on this base at the school, which is HIGHLY discouraged by students AND staff. Trust me a car is very useful. I get so tired of bummin' a ride from my friends or waiting for the loser cruiser(weekend bus that goes to the mall, best buy, etc.) Don't buy into all that crap about never having free time. Do you spend a lot time in the school? Yes you will, but is that the only thing you'll be doing for the next year and a half? Hell no, you will go insane if you do that. Good luck to ya.  :)

Jorderon

« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2004, 10:34 »
I never had a car at NPS.  However a car is basically Required at Prototype, at least in New York.  I had a house about 12 miles from the site, and thats a very long drive in the middle of a New York winter at 1 in the morning after a swing shift (having never driven in snow before was a truly awakening time in my life), which I was priveralged enough to experience.  But on the Bright side, New York is a MUCH better place for military folk, the locals treat us alot better than in Charleston I can tell you that.

Dont say that "oh your gonna have time at NPS for partying and lots of drinking" and whatnot, because it varies from person to person.  Personally I was one of the lucky few who got hated on by everyone having never put in any serious time/effort studying, but still making a upper half gpa, and now that I look back on it, Id rather have put in the extra mile and been in the upper echelons of my class in 20/20 hindsight.  My good but not great NPS gpa was, I found out later, THE reason I didnt get ELT pickup, and then got Nuke Welder (which is a good deal anyway, but i still would have rather been an ELT).

In any event, you will offically be able to own and operate a Personally owned vehicle after week 4-5 of training in A school, but you probably wont use it until about week 8, when you get the majority of your boot campesque restrictions lifted (Daily off base civilian clothing liberty at 1600).  However remember that if you decide to do something dumb, you'll loose your privelages quickly.  Even keeping a messy room will get you in the hole with your Chief or First Class, and can lead to some rather unplesant "upgrading".  Anyway if you have any other wierd questions about the pipeline, feel free to ask.

sean.denny

« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2004, 09:24 »
The program has changed a lot in recent years, meaning the last 5-6.  The program is significantly easier now than it was in the past.  This lends itself to a lot of free time.  I was an instructor in Charleston for 4 years and that base is not near to anything of interest.  A car would be useful. 

ELTsmag

« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2004, 10:51 »
If you don't have a car now just wait to buy one.  Once you show up in Charleston you'll be E-3 and Navy Federal Credit Union automatically pre-qualifies you for at least $8,000 for a vehicle, bad credit or good credit.  If you can hold off until you graduate A school and get promoted to E-4 then they bump that up to $14,000 you automatically qualify for (which I did and bought a Camaro)

ODiesel

« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2004, 09:02 »
I am currently a staff instructor at the NPTU Charleston(prototype). You will NEED a car to get too and from work when you get to prototype. As far as A-School and Power School are concerned, you will WANT a car to get you away from base whenever you have free time. Believe me you will want to get away from the site as much as you can!! As far as being allowed to operate a car, you will be able to in week 4 or 8 of A-School if I remember right. When you do bring your car to the site be sure you have your insurance and registration available to get DOD stickers, or you will not be able to park on base and that will put you in a world of hurt. I also think the Navy will ship your car to you from your hometown for free as a 1 time deal, not too sure on that but your recruiter might know. I think it can be part of a "home of record" move. Either way, good luck in the nuclear program, work hard and you'll do fine!!!

-EM2 O'D

eric9dodge

« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2004, 11:13 »
I went through Orlando and I put in mando 35s when I was there.  Class 9802 started up early December, we got a Holiday break, I bought a year old car at a good price and drove it back down.  It was handy to have a car and even with the hours I put in.  Of course, I went to Prototype in New York, and one definately needed a ride up there.

-Eric

theJam

« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2004, 02:01 »
OK, I'm gonna sign up next week after I take my ASVAB (thatis, ohping I score well!).  I have a another question about the car situation...

My Dad owns my car, but I own the insurance.  Will that be a problem?  I figure I can just pay my Dad the Credit Union loan and buy it from him.

2004 Mustang GT ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2004, 07:54 by theJam »

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2004, 07:56 »
OK, I'm gonna sign up next week after I take my ASVAB (thatis, ohping I score well!).  I have a another question about the car situation...

My Dad owns my car, but I own the insurance.  Will that be a problem?  I figure I can just pay my Dad the car allowance and buy it from him after I receive it.

2004 Mustang GT ;D

You need a signed letter from Dad in the car giving you permission. It is required for getting a base decal, and could help with any local law enforcement problems.

Keep the registration, your drivers license, and the insurance through the same state. If you change one, change them all. (Simplest thing is to keep everything on the back home address!)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

theJam

« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2004, 07:57 »
Thanks!

jeepgirl1

« Reply #12 on: Nov 10, 2004, 10:14 »

My Dad owns my car, but I own the insurance.  Will that be a problem?  I figure I can just pay my Dad the Credit Union loan and buy it from him.

2004 Mustang GT ;D

I thought that in order for an insurance company to issue a policy, the car title had to be in the principle policy owner's name?  Just wondering ...

I'll take the letter suggestion by RollTide one step further and  suggest that you get your father to get a power of attorney that will allow you sign for all things in regards to the car. 
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2004, 10:18 by jeepgirl1 »

GARYGWOODJR

« Reply #13 on: Nov 10, 2004, 11:14 »
Buy a bike and ride it back and forth to work.  There used to be a bike path that would take you anywhere on the base.  If I remember correctly, it used to take me the same amount of time to ride from the center of housing (Petral Street) as it did to drive to prototype.  It will reduce stress and your waistline (which has a tendancy to grow when you sit at a desk or cubicle most of the day) not to mention saving you money.  Just a thought.

bmctee

« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2004, 08:00 »
If you don't have a car now just wait to buy one.  Once you show up in Charleston you'll be E-3 and Navy Federal Credit Union automatically pre-qualifies you for at least $8,000 for a vehicle, bad credit or good credit.  If you can hold off until you graduate A school and get promoted to E-4 then they bump that up to $14,000 you automatically qualify for (which I did and bought a Camaro)

We just had the Indoc class yesterday where NFCU came in.  I believe E-3s are automatically approved for 10K now.  She didn't mention E-4s.

I've been here for two weeks today, and can tell you that I'm definitely bringing my truck back from Texas after Christmas leave.  I've been getting rides from "Crazy Carl" for $2/ride.  But having to wait 30min-1hr every time you need to go somewhere is not too fun.

You have 3 stages of freedom.  Straight out of boot-camp you'll have NMT Phase 1, which is highly restricted (no cars allowed, no civilian clothes allowed, dress or working blues off-base).  Phase 2 (after 4 weeks, should you not get in trouble for anything) you will be allowed the car, and off-base liberty starts at 1600 on each Friday, ends at 0015 on Sunday.

If you have any questions about the beginning of A school or anything from boot camp, please ask.
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2004, 08:01 by FN McTee »

Rad Sponge

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2005, 03:47 »
I know this is a dead thread, but nukes will be buying cars during NPS and Proto for years to come.

WARNING to all you newbies: Where there is a base there is a used car salesman. Beware of zero-down loans and low monthly payments, you will be getting screwed somehow. Beware of all signs that say "E-1 welcomed"!!

If I am not mistaken, the Fleet and Family Service Center which i am sure has a outpost somewhere on the Weapons Station offers counseling for car buyers. Navy Legal should be able to review contracts, etc.

Always Always Always seek some sort of official counseling before buying a vehicle, get it documented because if the deal flies south and trust me, it can, you will not be left looking stupid for trying to do it on your own.

It will be a sign of maturity if you seek advice from your advisor, LCC, whoever because we have all seen young Sailors get screwed by car deals.

Seek counseling and be sure you are aware of your state's lemon law.

Lastly, please do not blow your bonus on a new ride.

JoeFlo

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2005, 09:11 »
I've been getting rides from "Crazy Carl" for $2/ride.  But having to wait 30min-1hr every time you need to go somewhere is not too fun.

Be their in bout twenty minutes! HAHA...I remember that. I thought you could get free rides to the landing strip? I bought a car at the beginning of power school. I'm glad I did because when I got out of school I wanted to get as far away from the site as possible.

Fermi2

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2005, 10:53 »
Does anyone remember that awesome Automoblie workshop the Navy had for the nukes at NPS Orlando? That place had 20 of everything.

Does Charleston have anything similar?

Mike

20 Years Gone

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2005, 09:26 »
   Yeah, I remember changing my breaks at the Auto Hobby Shop in Orlando on my first car.  I paid them 5 bucks, and they spun my rotors right there in front of me.  They had a bunch of crusty old timers working there, and every time I'd get stuck, they'd come over and tell me what to do next. 
  Charleston also has an auto hobby shop, but it's not quite the same.  Not as many stalls, or as much equipment.. It's also a little more regulated, it seems. 

On a different note, I remember on my last tour at Goose Creek, I'd head down to the Best Buy or ckt city in North Charleston to pick something up.  As I was leaving, I'd invariably see a grop of kids in their white hats, waiting with their purchases for a cab to gouge them for a ride back to base.  If I was in the mini van, I'd show them the ID, and offer them a ride back, since I lived in navy housing, and that was very close to the barraks drop off.  I never had a group of young sailors turn down a free ride.  There were, however, forces at the command who frowned on this behavior, saying it was fraternization.  I always thought that was too bad, that we were so afraid of fraternization that we weren't supposed to help save these young sailors a few bucks, and the who-knows-how-long wait on a cab.

Bill

kwicslvr

« Reply #19 on: Jun 01, 2005, 04:40 »
   There were, however, forces at the command who frowned on this behavior, saying it was fraternization.  I always thought that was too bad, that we were so afraid of fraternization that we weren't supposed to help save these young sailors a few bucks, and the who-knows-how-long wait on a cab.

Bill

I here ya.  During my instructor tour at NPTU Ballston Spa, I was the same way.  If one of the students needed help with anything outside of work I would always help when possible.   To me that was just a part of the Navy family and watching out for each other.  My superiors always frowned on me for doing it and received a little talking to from time to time but that was the extent.   They knew in the end that what I was doing was the right thing, they just had to do their job and say there preprogrammed part.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #20 on: Jun 01, 2005, 05:59 »
To hell with fraternization.

I have given more rides to more junior folks than I can remember. Thats called being a shipmate and supercedes all policies crafted by brass asses.

I'd take a bunch of nubs to dinner if it meant they weren't out drinking and driving. Call it fraternization, but a nuke arriving to the barracks alive is better than being splattered out on Redbank road somewhere after being hit by a car as he attempted to hoof it from Best Buy to base-

"Recently, a third class petty officer, while........"

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #21 on: Jun 01, 2005, 08:51 »
I here you guys on this fraternization thing.  I can remember new arrivals in their dress uniforms trying to lug a t.v. or stereo back from just the NEX.  I'd always stop to help out a shipmate, since I was married and had access to a car.  Funny though when the rest of the bunch comes out of the woodwork with all their stuff wanting a ride or someone decides they needed the biggest darn t.v. in the store.

p90lady

« Reply #22 on: Jun 17, 2005, 08:15 »
Morning all,

Thank you for restarting this thread.  My son will be leaving for Great Lakes next month and will be going Nuke after that.  I have been trying to warn him to be careful and not jump into any financial issues once he first gets in. (Did that 20 years ago in the Air Force and still regret it!)

I sent him the info from this site -better coming from you than old mom!

I appreciate all of the information - having a better understanding of what he will be going through helps me to let go!

Terri

taterhead

« Reply #23 on: Jun 17, 2005, 02:18 »
There is a wealth of info on this site about what he can expect, as I'm sure you already know.

Feel free to ask any other questions that might pop up in the "Getting In" forum.  We are here to help!

Taylor

dan11

« Reply #24 on: Aug 27, 2008, 02:30 »
is this thread still accurate?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?