Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Navy Nuke Turning To Physicist

Author Topic: Navy Nuke Turning To Physicist  (Read 5384 times)

Offline megasundato

• Very Lite User
Navy Nuke Turning To Physicist
« on: Oct 16, 2011, 09:41 »
Hello. Quite simply, I want to know if anyone does this, if it's practical, credible, and all other qualities relating to the transfer from Navy Nuke to Physicist.

This may sound kind of disrespectful to some, but keep in mind that I am very excited about becoming a nuke and as far as I know, I will love the job. I'm still in DEP and I have a few months before departing to basic training; thus, I realize my experience is zero and my questions may be completely off base.

My reasons for starting this thread is that I'm very interested in becoming a physicist after my nuke career is over for the navy. I have not found myself able to narrow down the quite vast field of what kind of physicist I would like to be, so I'm fairly open for the most part. Please keep in mind that I do know this is gazing fairly deep into the undecided future, and many things may change. I do have a few questions regarding the whole change of job scenario if I decide that's really what I want.

After all the nuclear schools are finished, I've heard that we get up to about half the way to a BS in what my guess is some sort of NE science. I am thankful for this, but it leads me to some questions. Just what kind of credit is this? (specific titles to what gets written down on transcripts would be nice, or even just a fairly detailed explanation.) and if I do pursue a BS in physics, how would everything translate?

I may decide to apply to be an officer, if so, than could I perhaps choose the physics major at USNA peradventure I'm accepted? What about other officer training programs.

Regarding the prestige of the Navy Nuclear program, I was wondering if physics institutes consider it fairly credible. ( I know that NE institutes definitely do, but I'm not sure how institutes of different fields look at it.)

Those are my main question I was considering for a while, but I'm sure there's many aspects I'm overlooking at the moment, so all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
Re: Navy Nuke Turning To Physicist
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2011, 09:50 »
unless you VERY quickly turn to a commisioning program (Sta-21 or otherwise), you are quite simply delaying your goal.

You will get around 30 credits for 6 years of service at an established state level college. Dont expect much from private colleges. On the other side, you DO get a free ride for 3 years of your schooling... But dont expect to walk out and into a doctorate level degree any faster then you would other wise. 

To directly answer your question, I answered EXACTLY what credits you are eligible for about a week ago in the same sub forum. Feel free to search for it, or google it.

If being a navy nuke is something you WANT, then do it. Dont do it to get a doctorate.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2011, 09:56 »
After all the nuclear schools are finished, I've heard that we get up to about half the way to a BS in what my guess is some sort of NE science. I am thankful for this, but it leads me to some questions. Just what kind of credit is this? (specific titles to what gets written down on transcripts would be nice, or even just a fairly detailed explanation.) and if I do pursue a BS in physics, how would everything translate?

Less Twitter, manga and "meyhem" (sic) and 10 minutes of search would have yielded...

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,21953.msg150761.html#msg150761

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2011, 10:00 »
Less Twitter, manga and "meyhem" (sic) and 10 minutes of search would have yielded...

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,21953.msg150761.html#msg150761

Lol coddling dave???  haha Id have posted it if it wasnt literally 2 posts down from this one :p

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2011, 10:13 »
unless you VERY quickly turn to a commisioning program (Sta-21 or otherwise), you are quite simply delaying your goal.

You will get around 30 credits for 6 years of service at an established state level college. Dont expect much from private colleges. On the other side, you DO get a free ride for 3 years of your schooling... But dont expect to walk out and into a doctorate level degree any faster then you would other wise.  

To directly answer your question, I answered EXACTLY what credits you are eligible for about a week ago in the same sub forum. Feel free to search for it, or google it.

If being a navy nuke is something you WANT, then do it. Dont do it to get a doctorate.

Although, I know why you are talking about getting a doctorate, sounds like the OP is concerned about a BS in physics.

To the OP, if you seriously want to get into physics, I would suggest using your GI bill to go to college full time after your time in the navy and get your BS in Physics.   Just by being at a college and in a physics major/department, you'll have the opportunities to explore the different areas of physics.  From there you will will be able to determine what branch of physics you prefer.  One thing you'll find out is that after college most physicists work in research and most have doctorate degrees.  If you do decide to pursue a PhD, just for future info, most PhDs in engineering and science come at no cost for the student because of research grants.  In fact, you'll be making a stipend as a grad student.

Offline megasundato

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2011, 11:10 »
Thanks for the help.

Offline DelayedNeutron

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2011, 09:17 »
I know this thread is a little old, but I thought I would add some real world experience.  I was a Navy Nuke EM, got out and got a Physics degree.

I went into the Navy with the hopes of getting picked up to become an officer and have the Navy pay for my schooling.  I decided to take the Navy Nuke route and then I would apply for officer.  After making it through the program and getting to the fleet, I had seen enough of the "drawdown" and cutbacks of the military during the early 90's, that I decided that this wasn't the career for me.  I decided to do Plan B and use my GI Bill to help pay for schooling.  I did my six years, got out and worked full time as an electrician for 4 years and I saved $30K for future school expenses.

I then quit my full time job and worked part time, while going to a community college (saved lots of money going to a CC).  As for trying to transfer Navy Nuke stuff for credits, I wouldn't count on them if you plan on going to a competitive school.  I started off with zero credits and after 2 1/2 years, I transfered to the University of California with a major in Physics.  I then spent 3 years getting my B.S. in Physics.  With the money I saved while working as an electrician, working part time in school and federal grants, I was able to graduate debt free.

I had planned on getting my masters and possibly a doctorate, but my wife and I had our first child my senior year.  After graduation, my wife and I didn't really look forward to being poor for another 3 years, until I got my doctorate (I was in my mid thirties when I graduated).  So I started looking for a full time job that summer, to see what the job market might offer. 

As stated before, most physics jobs go to people with doctorates.  Luckily, I minored in Engineering and was ably to apply for some jobs in that field.  After 4 months of resumes and interviews, the pay wasn't that much better than if I was a grad student.  So I looked into power plant jobs and the rest is history.  My second year on the job, I made $110K and I've made that or more for the last 5 years.  This is way above what I would have made with my Physics doctorate and I didn't have to be a poor student for another three years.

I'm glad I got my degree though. Maybe one day I might get a science job, but until then I will use my background in physics and intergrate it into many of my hobbies.  Many people don't realize the diversity and depth it takes to be a Physicist, it is hard work but very rewarding.  Good luck!

Offline megasundato

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2011, 04:15 »
Thanks for the help. I'm trying to gather as much insight as I can on a few concepts, so all info is greatly appreciated.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?