Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NUPOC Surface or Subs? honeypot

Author Topic: NUPOC Surface or Subs?  (Read 5950 times)

blazinbboy

NUPOC Surface or Subs?
« on: Nov 25, 2011, 11:48 »
Good afternoon everyone.

Well I have ultimately decided on applying for the NUPOC program when I am finally eligible and I was wondering what to expect from both forces.

Yesterday, I was talking to my father about the NUPOC program since he is a retried chief. Of course he told me to just take a civilian job rather than going in the military.

He gave me stories from the submarine side and said that he would only do submarines for an enlisted job.

He suggested that I should do the surface fleet as an officer and that it would be a totally different experience. He said either way, both have their ups and downs but he would prefer surface for officers.

Now to my questions.
1) Is there some truth about rather being an officer on a surface ship than submarines? (Sounded like I might have an "easier" time but we all know that is subjective)

2) I'm still confused on the whole "Surface" aspect for a nuke. Would I ONLY serve on carriers? I honestly have no idea what I could serve on being a swo-n.

3) "Officer for surface because you aren't worried about promotions"...."enlisted to be a lifer"... Is that remotely true?

I'm honestly really curious about the whole Surface aspect of the Navy because its totally new to me. (Growing up with my father on submarines and hearing stories from him and others)

I didn't want to be really vague on my questions but I am completely oblivious to life on a surface ship.

Thanks!

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: NUPOC Surface or Subs?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2011, 02:14 »

Now to my questions.
1) Is there some truth about rather being an officer on a surface ship than submarines? (Sounded like I might have an "easier" time but we all know that is subjective)
Incoherent question ::)

2) I'm still confused on the whole "Surface" aspect for a nuke. Would I ONLY serve on carriers? I honestly have no idea what I could serve on being a swo-n.

No....search

3) "Officer for surface because you aren't worried about promotions"...."enlisted to be a lifer"... Is that remotely true?

SWO(N), SWO, and submarine officers are in the same promotion group (along with aviators)-->Unrestricted Line

So....your dad is wrong.

Cheers,
GC
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2011, 02:15 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

blazinbboy

« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2011, 03:41 »
Incoherent question ::)

No....search

SWO(N), SWO, and submarine officers are in the same promotion group (along with aviators)-->Unrestricted Line

So....your dad is wrong.

Cheers,
GC

Well the whole promotion group isn't what he meant. I believe he meant that most officers USUALLY do up to 8 years and get out for the civilian jobs. So promotion wise, it wouldn't matter submarines or surface. (Even though people will say they may make rank the same way)

But my incoherent question was meant so sound like..."If I were to become an officer, would it really matter choosing subs or surface because I wouldn't end up doing 20 years?" (I don't mean it sarcastically or anything but I would do 20 years if I was enlisted... Crazy as it seems)

I understand the whole 5,000 people vs 130 people statement but would it make any sort of difference as an officer? (Like above, Enlisted for submarine "MAY" rank faster than surface individuals.)

Sorry to vague but I have no knowledge of officer and surface stuff besides the posts that I have been reading. And searching for NUPOC SWO-N and other related searches in google has helped nothing but bringing up about.com and other military websites explaining their duties.

I hope that may clarify somethings.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2011, 03:42 by blazinbboy »

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2011, 09:23 »
Regardless of the platform, if you bust your hump, do everything you can to outshine your peers (qualify quickly, take on collateral duties, excel in everything you can), and get the evals to back it all up, you will advance quickly. Sit on your ass, screw up constantly, and give people a reason to connect negativity to you in any way and you will sit there at your current rank indefinitely. Most people fall somewhere in between, enlisted and officer alike and advance in rank accordingly. I've only gotten to prototype hold on the enlisted side, but I have seen <2 year second classes (made rank off of this past testing cycle and are still in the training pipeline), 6 year Chiefs, and 17 year First Classes; your guess as to which of them is/were more motivated to excel....

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2011, 10:45 »
Regardless of the platform, if you bust your hump, do everything you can to outshine your peers (qualify quickly, take on collateral duties, excel in everything you can), and get the evals to back it all up, you will advance quickly. Sit on your ass, screw up constantly, and give people a reason to connect negativity to you in any way and you will sit there at your current rank indefinitely. Most people fall somewhere in between, enlisted and officer alike and advance in rank accordingly. I've only gotten to prototype hold on the enlisted side, but I have seen <2 year second classes (made rank off of this past testing cycle and are still in the training pipeline), 6 year Chiefs, and 17 year First Classes; your guess as to which of them is/were more motivated to excel....

Your post indicates that you know nothing of the officer promotion process....

I've covered the officer promotion process before.....

Look it up on here....
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?