Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NLO'S, Aux Op's, & RO's vs. them
honeypot

Author Topic: NLO'S, Aux Op's, & RO's vs. them  (Read 6575 times)

specialk4430

NLO'S, Aux Op's, & RO's vs. them
« on: Dec 02, 2011, 10:58 »
I currently work at a plant that has a not so good INPO rating. We are having issues, and I believe the issues are starting at our level because there is a huge disconnect between us (NLO's/Aux Op's and RO's, even though our RO's are not union) and management, at the SRO level and above. First thing is that there are a few people, at the supervisor (SRO) and above level, that try to make themselves look good by making others look bad, or go on "power trips" to flex their nuclear muscle. Things like "reviewing your email inbox", listening in on phone conversations, "fixing" timecards with little knowledge of the union contract, etc. This creates a wedge between us and them that communication is close to non existant, nobody wants to comply with expectations because they are rediculous (in there own eyes), and pretty much ruins morale. There are only a select few ruining it for everyone, but the issues are here and effecting everyday life because of this current culture. Compound these issues with the others in the form of work documentation, work management/scheduling, equipment reliability etc. and it seems I'm stuck with a group of guys that are "fed up" and don't want to take anything seriously, such as adhering to standards. These are just my observations, my opinion is not reflected in this post, yet. I would like to hear from you, how thing are at your plant, and changes you've seen. Feel free to post or PM me, I would like to do something useful with the information. Thanks, everybody.

Fermi2

Re: NLO'S, Aux Op's, & RO's vs. them
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2011, 02:39 »
Stop whining

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2011, 03:50 »
Stop whining

I was thinking up a long winded post, but this just about sums it up. I guess that's why you're a crotchety old SM and I'm not..., yet. :P
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2011, 03:52 by Higgs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

specialk4430

« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2011, 04:42 »
The purpose of the post is just to compare the site where I work with other sites. I am in no way whining, as I stated only facts and my opinion is not reflected in the post. And you just further proved my point as to the seperation between SRO's and RO's/NLO's. Thanks for your replies that offer no benefit to to the discussion. :D

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2011, 05:40 »
Neither management, SROs, ROs, nor NLOs hold the monopoly on bad people. It sounds like you are trying to blame everything on a couple of SROs, but I would suggest you look within your own group as well. If you are allowing yourself to be pulled into the sour grapes crowd, that is on you and you are doing yourself a disservice. If there are people that are doing the wrong thing, then you should be the one making it right. If you make excuses for not doing the right thing, then you are part of the problem

Of course there is a little "us vs them." That is the way it is between the line and the union not only in this industry, but in every other industry man has ever created.

I personally do not get involved in that BS or union politics. It is what it is and it ain't going away. I try to focus on the people I work with for who they are. Their title or whether or not they are in the union matter little to me. IE if there is a sh*t bag NLO on my crew, I don't think "oh those effing union guys." I simply think that that individual is a sh*t bag. If I have a manager who couldn't manage his way out of his house without a leash, I don't automatically think all of management is bad.

That's just me.

But if you think the "us vs them" only comes from SROs and above, then you're being naive.
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2011, 06:06 by Higgs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2011, 06:01 »
I was thinking up a long winded post, but this just about sums it up. I guess that's why you're a crotchety old SM and I'm not..., yet. :P

You can always look to Ron until your proficiency catches up to your aspirations,...

“I’m surrounded by a lot of women in this department. And that includes the men.”

:P 8) ;) :) 8) [coffee]

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2011, 07:34 »
Most of the problems I see at my plant stem from thinking in terms of they/them instead of us/we.   Having said that, I think my plant is a great place to work. 
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2011, 08:21 by DDMurray »
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

specialk4430

« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2011, 08:53 »
Higgs, thanks for the reply. Personally, I am not one of the S@#$ bags or sour grapes, and agree that they are on both sides of the union line. I don't treat anything as us vs. them, when issues come up I talk to individuals as humans, but it seems I am becoming one of the few. That was the reason I posted in the first place. I wanted to know who has seen it, dealt with it, lived through it, etc. I feel it is becoming a major problem at my plant. The us vs. them thing is sadly in the culture, and I would like to do something about it, but have no idea what I could do. My idea was to gather info and show my manager, see if he agrees with my findings. Data would come from internal and external sources. Hence this post, as a start. I am not going to blame a certain group, because it does exist everywhere. I was merely bringing up the issue of the detachment between "us and them" with examples.  Thanks for the feedback, and FYI I would like to obtain a license someday, so change is really important to me.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?