Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu So...I'm going to be an ET  

Author Topic: So...I'm going to be an ET  (Read 9864 times)

Offline AmmonSalmo

• Light User
So...I'm going to be an ET
« on: Dec 06, 2011, 05:53 »
(Damn kid, you can't BECOME an ET, Needs of the Navy....yabba dabba)

I understand. I apologize if I'm getting arrogance on the carpet, but I know how newcomers tend to get roasted when entering foreign subject matters.

Anywaais...  ;D

So I've been a guest follower of Nukeworker/Navy for months, I've been building a mental image of what to expect and prepare for. In just a couple days I'm out to RDC, and very excited. From what I gather on the various rates, I'm nearly sure I want to be an ET. The duties and required skill set of an ET seem to most closely match my own, and I think the job will be enjoyable.

In this board, there's plenty of information on who you have to be for the different rates: /topic,7416.msg39962.html#msg39962

MM's need to be gearheads, they like sticking their faces in pipes, valves and gears. EM's are responsible for the "equipment used for power generation and distribution". ELT's are the illegitimate sons of Chuck Norris. ET's apparently need to be more engineering oriented (vs repair oriented), something I can aspire toward.

What I would like to know is what I will be doing day to day as an ET (vs an MM and EM):
I wake up in the morning, where do I go? (vs MM and EM)
What will I be touching most of the day? (vs MM and EM)
What will I be looking at most of the day? (vs MM and EM)
What parts of Power School will I be trying to remember? (vs MM and EM)
What has to go wrong for me to get up and grab my toolbox? (vs MM and EM)
The ship just docked in port, what is my life like? (vs MM and EM)
bonus points: After the Navy, what jobs will I be looking at? (...vs MM and EM)

I've also detected a tune that goes "ET's dont really do anything". I'm sure this is meant to be taken with a side of humor, however it still sparks my concern. What is this mystical air-conditioned box that ET's are supposed to be playing WOW all day long inside?

Thank you massively for your help, I have a great respect for the personnel in our military - especially those who made it through the rigors of this program. I'm sorry if this is redundant, or if the answers to these questions are hidden in an ancient catacomb thread that I neglected to read...you may properly flame me for any deserved oversights.  ;)

-AmmonSalmo

Offline HockeyFan

• Light User
  • NHL Hockey, 5K road races, and an acoustic guitar.
Re: So...I'm going to be an ET
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2011, 12:08 »
First, ET's have nothing to do with engineering.

Second, the difference is spelled out in the title.
MM's are mechanics.
EM's are electricians.
ET's are electronics technicians.

All operate the plant.  All do repair/PM's. 

Job prospects depend on you.  Each trade can be applied in industry.

Here's your first look up:  Find out the difference between an electrician and an electronics technician.
You have to prove yourself every shift. Paul Coffey
The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare. Juma Ikangaa
We didn't have any instruments, so I had to use my guitar. Maybelle Carter

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2011, 12:22 »
As a Nuke ET, you will be trained as a Reactor Operator.  That means you will stand watches.  When not standing watches, you will do cleaning, PMS on assigned equipment, and sleeping.  Oh, and studying and training. You will do this whenever the reactor is hot, you will do this (to a lesser extent) when the reactor is cold.

During my time in, there were Nuke ET's who never touched the instrumentation and controls equipment.

Your rate will be ET, your primary job will be Reactor Operator, the operative word is Operator

A bit of history.  Back in the day there was no such thing as an ETN.  You were either an ETC (trained in radio communication equipment), or an ETR (trained in radar systems).  To advance in rate you had to pass tests on radios or radars, equipment you never saw.  I understand that even now, to advance in rate, you could be tested on instrumentation and control systems you have never seen.

As previously posted, there are employment opportunities in the private sector for all ratings.

When I  left the service, I got a degree in business and became an accountant and never looked back.
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2011, 12:58 »
As a Nuke ET, you will be trained as a Reactor Operator.  That means you will stand watches.  When not standing watches, you will do cleaning, PMS on assigned equipment, and sleeping.  Oh, and studying and training. You will do this whenever the reactor is hot, you will do this (to a lesser extent) when the reactor is cold.

fixed :)

Kid, pretty much everyone hates their rate in the navy at first. They grow to love it, and develop enmity for the others. Its always true, and always universal. You get what you take, and you're  gonna eat it because there's absolutely NOTHING you can do about it. Get what you get, do your best, and qualify fast.  That's universal to all nuclear rates.  Job description will be pretty similar across the board.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2011, 01:02 by Starkist »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2011, 02:31 »
Subscribed.

Tuna, I was most looking forward to your reply, thanks for not disappointing. ;D
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2011, 03:05 »
Starkist, my comment on sleeping, well that was what the noon break was for...   ;D
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2011, 03:29 »
Starkist, my comment on sleeping, well that was what the noon break was for...   ;D

Hahah :p

Lol higgs, im not sure how to take that :p

Offline AmmonSalmo

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2011, 09:26 »
Apparently the different rates melt over each other quite often...

But why are so many users pointing cannons at each others rates? I mean there has to be SOME significant valleys between the responsibilities of each, right?

Right?  :D

I am confused when it comes to the difference between an electrician and an electrician technician. ET's are operators, but some don't actually operate. So what are they really for the rest of the time? Swiss army knives?

God I know I'm in for it now...

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2011, 09:43 »
Apparently the different rates melt over each other quite often...

Sounds like a Don't Ask Don't Tell thing there...

But why are so many users pointing cannons at each others rates? I mean there has to be SOME significant valleys between the responsibilities of each, right?

Right?  :D

I am confused when it comes to the difference between an electrician and an electrician technician. ET's are operators, but some don't actually operate. So what are they really for the rest of the time? Swiss army knives?

God I know I'm in for it now...

What is this "drop-the-hanky" line of questions here??? If you have any mechanical or electrical aptitude right now, then pick that rating. If you have no mechanical or electrical aptitude and want to learn some, then pick that rating. Until then.....drop and do pushups until WE get tired!  >:(

Offline AmmonSalmo

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2011, 10:16 »
What is this "drop-the-hanky" line of questions here??? If you have any mechanical or electrical aptitude right now, then pick that rating. If you have no mechanical or electrical aptitude and want to learn some, then pick that rating. Until then.....drop and do pushups until WE get tired!  >:(

Am I the only person in the world who thinks six years is a long time? I thought this was a board for nukes not cattle, I'm not exactly in line for ice cream here.

Please...excuse my infantile audacity to ask the almighty grey hairs of what really is on the other side of that curtain. This matters to me, and I have a hard time believing that at no point did it ever matter to you as well. I aim to make the best of my time in the Navy, idealism and all, and I hope you understand my reluctance to accept 'anything goes kid' as a viable answer.

Thank you DLGN25

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2011, 10:58 »
Am I the only person in the world who thinks six years is a long time? I thought this was a board for nukes not cattle, I'm not exactly in line for ice cream here.

Please...excuse my infantile audacity to ask the almighty grey hairs of what really is on the other side of that curtain. This matters to me, and I have a hard time believing that at no point did it ever matter to you as well. I aim to make the best of my time in the Navy, idealism and all, and I hope you understand my reluctance to accept 'anything goes kid' as a viable answer.

Thank you DLGN25

lol its fair and natural to question it, however, no one but the guy sitting in a desk assigning rates based on HIS criteria (not yours)gets to choose your rate.  As far as the "Whats life like" questions, they are too generic, and the ubiquitous answer is "individual results may vary".   Its like you're trying to fulfill some intellectual meanderings, not actually trying to figure stuff out.

drayer54

« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2011, 12:06 »
lol its fair and natural to question it, however, no one but the guy sitting in a desk assigning rates based on HIS criteria (not yours)gets to choose your rate.  As far as the "Whats life like" questions, they are too generic, and the ubiquitous answer is "individual results may vary".   Its like you're trying to fulfill some intellectual meanderings, not actually trying to figure stuff out.
That. And you could get all excited about one and not get it. From subs to carriers or overhaul.... your experience can vary so much. You can see the jobs for each now.

Good luck and don't stress, you'll be set up regardless.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2011, 08:08 »
One thing you have to remember from this site is that it is a small sample of the total nuclear navy population.  Your upbringing and mental toughness will have a lot more to do with your perception of the different rates than anything you get from this or any other website or resource.  I went to Boot Camp in 1984.  I was assured that I would be an ET by the MEPS guy who convinced me to go nuclear.  At Boot Camp I found out that I was picked for EM.  Turns out, that was probably a good thing.  With regard to the different rates, I've seen good MM's who wouldn't change their own oil (though this is rare) and I've seen ETs who were motorheads during their time off.  Most of the smack talk you read on this site is just good-natured banter.  It's one of the things I miss most about the Navy.  Nothing says I respect you better than a good old-fashioned verbal assault.  :)  Your mental toughness determines whether you can tell if it's actual criticism, just "nuke" talk, or input from someone whose opinion shouldn't matter to you. 
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2011, 06:51 »
................and the ubiquitous answer is "individual results may vary"............

I'm not sure ubiquitous is exactly the proper adjective, albeit ubiquitous sounds cool,...

"individual results may vary" is the a common answer because it's true,....

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2011, 09:09 »
I'm not sure ubiquitous is exactly the proper adjective, albeit ubiquitous sounds cool,...

"individual results may vary" is the a common answer because it's true,....

: existing or being everywhere at the same time : constantly encountered : widespread <a ubiquitous fashion>
— ubiq·ui·tous·ly adverb
— ubiq·ui·tous·ness noun

You will see "YMMV";"YMWV" scribbled across the boards quite frequently.

Offline maltheopia

• Very Lite User
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:53 »
Assuming that you're actually selected for ET (A maxed-out ASVAB score really, really helps but even then it's not guaranteed), I can give you a quick list of advice, both before and on the job:

1.) Get flashcards. They will become your best friend for the next three years (or more, if you're unlucky with security clearance or a s**tbird). If you're studying and you aren't using flashcards, you're doing something wrong.

2.) Before you get into the navy, learn the basics of circuit analysis. As in, what a capacitor does, what an inductor does, what a resistor does, and how to calculator voltage and current in a basic circuit. Then learn Mesh Analysis and Node Voltage. You can pass NPS, even pass it with good grades, without it but they don't formally teach it to you and it makes doing circuits way the hell easier. There are videos on YouTube to help you out. As far as I know you won't have to know anything about Supernodes or Supermeshes, but it will help.

3.) Learn how to do basic math without a calculator. You will not have a lot of time to mess around on tests and if you're having to calculate BS like 25 * 6 with a calculator those seconds add up.

4.) Review basic algebra. You don't have to know crazy crap like anything beyond trigonometric identities (SOH CAH TOA and a^2+b^2=c^2 will get you far enough) but if something doesn't seem wrong to you when you see the equation (a+b)^2=a^b+b^2 then you need to review.

5.) Review basic Boolean Logic. Once you know how to construct any kind of gate out of a NAND gate and know what DeMorgan's Law is you'll be good to go.

6.) IA's are your ticket to success, even if you don't think you 'need' the study. Even if you don't, they're a quick and easy way to fill up the required hours and they're much more helpful than staring at a book.

7.) Don't go overboard volunteering for crap like King Nub or spend several hours shining your shoes and s**t. Your job is to study. Don't shirk work or be a s**tbag, but don't sacrifice 'me' time or study time in order to get at that around-the-edges crap. If you want an EP or MP (and you do) you'll need to have the 3.8 and 3.6 GPAs. And you need all of the extra study time you can get. Seriously, EPs and MPs are worth their weight in gold, even as an ET.

8.) Want a guaranteed checkout, assuming you actually know someone that's on watch? Hit up someone that's on watch. Don't go during evolutions or drills (unless you're trying to get that particular practice), but you should take advantage of the fact that they can't leave their station and they're probably bored to fill out your qual card. Study time should be reserved for when there's s**t going down in the plant. This applies both to the pipeline and out on the ship.

Seriously, one of my buddies got two weeks ahead of me in Prototype by knowing that 'secret' despite not knowing much more than me.

9.) Whatever you do, don't fail tests and do NOT get DINQ, that is, Delinquent in Quals. It's much harder to recover from being DINQ than it is not to go DINQ. When you're DINQ, not only does that seriously impact your quality of life but also makes other people think that you're a s**tbird and makes it that much harder to get help.  There are some really tough cookies out there who can survive an extra 30 hours of week with studying and checkouts and if you're not booksmart enough you'll not have much of a choice. But it's best not to test your constitution.

If the choice is between coming in on Saturday and Sunday for an extra 8 hours total or going mandatory 10s to mandatory 25s because you got a 2.6 on a test, which do you think is a better deal?

I cannot stress this enough. Don't go DINQ. People want you to qualify. People need you to qualify. But they will rock your world if you get behind on quals.
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2012, 07:37 by Nuclear NASCAR »

LaFeet

« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2012, 04:08 »
Gotta agree mostly with Maltheopia.... DINQ STINKS!!!

Nuke School and Prototype were pretty easy for me.    I just wish I had a bit more focus back then is all... of course that was before most on here were in (and some born).

I was a lucky one,  I wanted ET and I got it.  Luckier still, went to S5G prototype and was assigned to the USS Narwhal.  

My rating exams were on radar and comm systems.  Always heavy with wave propagation theory.  I ate it up.  My last year in the Navy they finally came out with a Nuke exam.... but I already had papers in hand.

Study kiddo... study, work hard, ask questions.....  but always remember.  If you get caught in the rack when you were supposed to be doing something else,  you might as well be a SMAG (no offense guys)  I mean a coner ET.

Oh,  honestly,  thank you for your service.... Lafeet
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2012, 04:11 by LaFeet »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?