Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu New take on impacts of low dose radiation  

Author Topic: New take on impacts of low dose radiation  (Read 2864 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
New take on impacts of low dose radiation
« on: Dec 22, 2011, 11:26 »

Researchers with the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)'s Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab), through a combination of time-lapse live imaging and mathematical modeling of a special line of human breast cells, have found evidence to suggest that for low dose levels of ionizing radiation, cancer risks may not be directly proportional to dose. This contradicts the standard model for predicting biological damage from ionizing radiation - the linear-no-threshold hypothesis or LNT - which holds that risk is directly proportional to dose at all levels of irradiation.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2011-12/dbnl-nto122011.php

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: New take on impacts of low dose radiation
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2011, 03:57 »
Researchers with the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)'s Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab), through a combination of time-lapse live imaging and mathematical modeling of a special line of human breast cells, have found evidence to suggest that for low dose levels of ionizing radiation, cancer risks may not be directly proportional to dose. This contradicts the standard model for predicting biological damage from ionizing radiation - the linear-no-threshold hypothesis or LNT - which holds that risk is directly proportional to dose at all levels of irradiation.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2011-12/dbnl-nto122011.php

Fascinating -- and well written. Thanks.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Chimera

Re: New take on impacts of low dose radiation
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2011, 05:00 »
Makes one kind of wonder just how much money the DoE wasted on the study.  As the dictionary says, Stochastic - proceeding by guesswork.  The linear-no-threshhold (LNT) theory has always been a statistical compromise based on inferring information where no data existed. 

There have been many discussion over the decades as to the real effects of radiation from dose-rates less than 10 R (or so) acute dose.  Figure 1 in Reg Guide 8.29 shows these differences of opinion rather well.  The levels that are set by regulation - 5 R/year - are so low that any possible real data is pretty much lost in the statistical variables that come with normal living.

"Risk" has never been "directly proportional" to dose at these low levels.  There has been a presumption of proportionality as a means to establish regulations but the risk has always only been judged to increase with increasing exposure up to the point where actual harm can be actually determined . . . ergo, Stochastic and non-Stochastic exposures.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?