Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu SRO Proficiency Question  

Author Topic: SRO Proficiency Question  (Read 9689 times)

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
SRO Proficiency Question
« on: Dec 29, 2011, 05:20 »
Do any utilities take advantage of the Work Control Center SRO position for proficiency requirements? The topic came up today and I am curious.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: SRO Proficiency Question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2011, 07:02 »
Both of the utilities I worked for do not.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2011, 07:13 »
The three utilities that I have worked at do not.

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2011, 07:53 »
Interesting, thanks for the replies.  What other options are there besides sitting the chair in the MCR? We have 2 units worth of SROs and growing (3 new ones passed NRC today) with only a single unit to be proficient on.  It's leading to a big game of musical chairs to keep everyone active.
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2011, 07:56 by War Eagle »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:19 »
Hmmm I'm not sure. Isnt there guidance out there that defines what counts as hot time? It has been a while since I looked, so I can't think of it off the top of my head..., but I seem to remember something. Could have been company policy too.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:24 »
Gotta sit the Unit to be active. In fact TVA Procedure would by default prevent you from taking credit for active time as it states a formerly licensed SRO can run the WCC. If someone without a license can do it...

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:27 »
Here you go, I found this, which appears to lead to other source documents. I don't have time to investigate further right now, but should get you started. It appears that they attempted to clarify watch standing proficiency allowances for positions in excess of TS min, such as WEC. On a brief scan, it doesn't appear that it counts..., you have to be actively engaged in supervising the RO at the controls.

pbadupws.nrc.gov/docs/ML0729/ML072900620.pdf

It looks like NUREG 1021 is the source.

Good luck and let us know what you find out!

Justin

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:59 »
Thanks again for the replies and thanks a ton for doing my job for me, Justin  :)

I think the solution may be here:

"An allowance to credit watch-standing proficiency hours for certain licensed RO and SRO shift crew positions that are in excess of those required by a facility's technical specifications. However, in order to credit standing watch in such excess crew positions toward the required proficiency hours, a facility licensee must have in place specific administrative controls, and any individual serving in an excess crew position must be meaningfully and fully engaged in the functions and duties of a licensed RO/SRO."

That paragraph seems to allow the station to be creative within reason.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:00 »
Yeah that is also the paragraph that I used to say that I don't think they'll count WEC. ;D

Fermi2

« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:01 »
Thanks again for the replies and thanks a ton for doing my job for me, Justin  :)

I think the solution may be here:

"An allowance to credit watch-standing proficiency hours for certain licensed RO and SRO shift crew positions that are in excess of those required by a facility's technical specifications. However, in order to credit standing watch in such excess crew positions toward the required proficiency hours, a facility licensee must have in place specific administrative controls, and any individual serving in an excess crew position must be meaningfully and fully engaged in the functions and duties of a licensed RO/SRO."

That paragraph seems to allow the station to be creative within reason.

And so long as OPDP-1 states Former Licensed SRO you don't have a leg to stand on.

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:07 »
Do you have former licenses in WCC? We only have active licenses in WCC currently.  I wouldn't be surprised if that's the route we may be going based on today's conversation.

Fermi2

« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:12 »
No but Browns Ferry had a few when I was down there a couple years back.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:36 »
Do you have former licenses in WCC? We only have active licenses in WCC currently.  I wouldn't be surprised if that's the route we may be going based on today's conversation.

Ours is also mostly active licenses.

That said, we have a lot of guys that haven't been on shift for YEARS, that maintain proficiency just to get the license bonus. More times than not, the on shift SRO is off doing other things while someone is getting their hot time.

Wouldn't surprise me if someone someday stopped allowing people to maintain an active license when they are never going to see the room again.

Fermi2

« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:36 »
The odd thing is that allowance was put in OPDP-1 a few years back at WBNs request. I'm pretty certain for at least a time you guys had at least one ex SQN SRO running your WCC Desk.

Fermi2

« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:39 »
Ours is also mostly active licenses.

That said, we have a lot of guys that haven't been on shift for YEARS, that maintain proficiency just to get the license bonus. More times than not, the on shift SRO is off doing other things while someone is getting their hot time.

Wouldn't surprise me if someone someday stopped allowing people to maintain an active license when they are never going to see the room again.

That will never happen. I have on a case by case basis seen guys get asked to not keep a license active.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:42 »
Yeah, that would be hard to pull off because then a guy could just say "OK, I quit." LOL

Tough situation. Peach Bottom was easy since it was dual unit licenses, but I can see Beaver Valley running into the "too many active licenses" problem in the future.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?