Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Living Situation While in A-School in Charleston honeypot

Author Topic: Living Situation While in A-School in Charleston  (Read 11647 times)

cjlara

Living Situation While in A-School in Charleston
« on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:34 »
Hi there,
So I'm in the process of resigning my contract right now to go Nuke and I'm pretty excited for that. My boyfriend and I are thinking about getting married before I leave for basic training in August and then when I move out to Charleston for A-school we are planning for him to move out there with me. I was wondering if anyone can give me any insight on this. Will we be able to live together? Can I live off base at all? I did research on BAH and everything but I don't really understand if it applies in a-school or not.

drayer54

Re: Living Situation While in A-School in Charleston
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:59 »
Hi there,
So I'm in the process of resigning my contract right now to go Nuke and I'm pretty excited for that. My boyfriend and I are thinking about getting married before I leave for basic training in August and then when I move out to Charleston for A-school we are planning for him to move out there with me. I was wondering if anyone can give me any insight on this. Will we be able to live together? Can I live off base at all? I did research on BAH and everything but I don't really understand if it applies in a-school or not.

You'll have no choice but to live in government housing. It's exactly like it sounds.......

No bah until prototype or the fleet.

You will get time to move the husband out to charleston.

Housing and distance are temporary, marriage (or at least it's supposed to be ) is forever. Good luck in your decisions.

DDD

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2012, 11:34 »
You'll have no choice but to live in government housing. It's exactly like it sounds.......

No bah until prototype or the fleet.

You will get time to move the husband out to charleston.

Housing and distance are temporary, marriage (or at least it's supposed to be ) is forever. Good luck in your decisions.

DDD

Nobody mentioned a husband or marriage. Not sure how the military feels about that unless they are the same sex, but I bet boyfriend is equal to 'No status' from the military's point of view. I also bet at one time they would not even have been permitted in miltary-subsidized housing.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2012, 12:20 »
Nobody mentioned a husband or marriage. Not sure how the military feels about that unless they are the same sex, but I bet boyfriend is equal to 'No status' from the military's point of view. I also bet at one time they would not even have been permitted in miltary-subsidized housing. 

:-> [OT]  Read the OP, she's thinking about getting married basic training!  Don't sound like something that comes out of a can (or noe baggie)!  You usually respond better than that!

Back on Topic - While you are in A school it is like DDD said, you are in the supplied quarters "on base", he is in town in a rental property and hopefully working, not a whole lot of time together.

I'll echo, best of luck in your decisions!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2012, 12:43 »
Im gonna be a realist here... While hoping for the best, the military puts a LOT of stress on relationships, and many do not come out on top.

Id highly recommend you wait until you get out of boot camp before getting married. Theres no real major benefit until you get to prototype anyway. Until you do have that legal binding document, your significant other is meaningless to the navy, with no benefits what-so-ever.

Good luck, hope for the best.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2012, 01:26 »
:-> [OT]  Read the OP, she's thinking about getting married basic training!  Don't sound like something that comes out of a can (or noe baggie)!  You usually respond better than that!

Back on Topic - While you are in A school it is like DDD said, you are in the supplied quarters "on base", he is in town in a rental property and hopefully working, not a whole lot of time together.

I'll echo, best of luck in your decisions!

Ooops... Not sure how I missed that. Guess I was trying to do too many things at once. My bad.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:03 »

That's not what he said....

He said the couple (if married) would have to live in base housing....

She would not be forced to live in the barracks while he lived on the town...they would live together in base housing.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2012, 10:44 »
That's not what he said....

He said the couple (if married) would have to live in base housing....

She would not be forced to live in the barracks while he lived on the town...they would live together in base housing.

Cheers,
GC

Sorry about that GC, I was speaking about what I knew, then!  But, that's a lot of years past!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

DaveTheBarbarian

« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2012, 01:45 »
If you are married in A School or Power School they will, in fact, give you BAH if you put in a special request chit. Or you can live on base in housing with your spouse, but then you will not get the coveted difference between rent and BAH.

Offline ToadSuck

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2012, 04:17 »
I got married during A school and they gave me the choice of BAH or Base housing...

If you do get married before boot camp (if I am not misspeaking) they will give a home of record move for your family. If you wait until after boot camp and get married during the pipeline like I did then they will not...However, you do get a home of record move for just your stuff. SO, if you put in his stuff with your stuff and just call it yours you can get the stuff moved out for free. You will still have to pay to get him moved out there.

In 2009, the US divorce rate was 50.3% per US News. The stats for the military are roughly the same. However, military enlisted men suffered a 3.1% divorce rate last year, but enlisted women had a 9% divorce rate.

On a side note...there a very few women in the nuclear community. Once you get to Nuke school you will be a big fish in a small fish bowl. What I mean is this:

If you are a "6" more than likely you will marry close to your number, but at nuke school girls that are "4's" have the ability to get "8-9's" because of the fish bowl effect.

You will more than likely get way more attention than you ever wanted in the Navy from guys. You will have the ability to "move up" in looks, paycheck potential, etc.

Just my opinion and I just sayin'   :P

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2012, 08:38 »
Once you get to Nuke You will have the ability to "move up" in looks, paycheck potential, etc.

Really?

-K to you
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline irmechanic

• Very Lite User
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2012, 08:44 »
There were a few guys in my a school class that were married, the spent the first couple days in the barracks then went to get their wives and lived with them either in base housing, or off base if they can find one that they liked, and they all got BAH and BAS. I never seen base housing or what kind of apartment/house you can get on E3/E4 pay though, so I can't tell you what living conditions will be like for you.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2012, 05:11 »
On a side note...there a very few women in the nuclear community. Once you get to Nuke school you will be a big fish in a small fish bowl. What I mean is this:

If you are a "6" more than likely you will marry close to your number, but at nuke school girls that are "4's" have the ability to get "8-9's" because of the fish bowl effect.

You will more than likely get way more attention than you ever wanted in the Navy from guys. You will have the ability to "move up" in looks, paycheck potential, etc.

Just my opinion and I just sayin'   :P
You have a future in the recruiting field. 
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline ToadSuck

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2012, 08:30 »
This is why I don't communicate in writing very much...I am not very good at it.

If we were standing around talking about that stuff, we would be joking and laughing about the "fish bowl" effect. I don't condone or really have that outlook, it's just a sad truth of enlisted nuke school....Girls that normally would never get talked to get hounded by dudes of which they have the relative pick of the litter.

I would never date a nuke girl in the pipeline or on the ship...afterward maybe, but not during. Every dude is privilege to your relationship and there is a line of guys to offer advice on how big of a jerk or screw up the guy is. Plus they don't really have a whole lot of girl friends, but they sure do have a lot of guy friends. I'm not secure enough for that junk. Every girl, except 2 that I knew, dated at least 10 different dudes during the pipeline. Then on the ship, they got passed around until they finally found someone to marry them...and then divorce.

Only 2 ever didn't...one was already married (she divorced and married a guy in her division)...the other one only dated 2 guys and then got married.

They are the only 2 that I know of that didn't do the fish bowl pass around.

You can dink my Karma if you want. It's just my personal observation, not my personal beliefs.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2012, 09:55 »
It's just my personal observation, not my personal beliefs.
Then don't perpetuate the stereotype.

It has been my experience that what comes out of your mouth is what is in your heart.

Cheers,
GC

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?