Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nupoc-Getting in for Sub then trying for Engineer

Author Topic: Nupoc-Getting in for Sub then trying for Engineer  (Read 3296 times)

Offline RCMomto4

• Very Lite User
My son is in the process of of applying for the Nupoc program.  He's 2nd year for Mech. Eng. with a 3.3 GPA.  Recruiter tells him he qualifies for subs, but he wants NR Engineer.  Recruiter says to interview for subs and start getting paid.  When grades come up, re-interview for NR.  He says if you qualify they will take you. 

My question is how common is this and does it sound legit?

Thanks!

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Nupoc-Getting in for Sub then trying for Engineer
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:56 »
My son is in the process of of applying for the Nupoc program.  He's 2nd year for Mech. Eng. with a 3.3 GPA.  Recruiter tells him he qualifies for subs, but he wants NR Engineer.  Recruiter says to interview for subs and start getting paid.  When grades come up, re-interview for NR.  He says if you qualify they will take you. 

My question is how common is this and does it sound legit?

Thanks!

He won't get NR Engineer with a 3.3......

He'll need to improve...... a lot!

I would recommend interviewing for subs only if he is going to be happy as a submariner.  There is no guarantee that he would get re-interviewed even if he were to raise his GPA.

FYI....competitive GPA for NR Engineer is around 3.8.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2012, 09:01 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline RCMomto4

• Very Lite User
Re: Nupoc-Getting in for Sub then trying for Engineer
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:00 »
He won't get NR Engineer with a 3.3......

He'll need to improve...... a lot!

Yes, sir.  He knows he needs to bring it up to a 3.8 to be competitive.  If he does bring up the GPA, does it sound legit that he could get into NR after accepting subs.  He would be happy with either but would prefer NR.

Thank you, again!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?