Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Navy Nuke Officer (Subs) to civillian nuclear power honeypot

Author Topic: Navy Nuke Officer (Subs) to civillian nuclear power  (Read 5778 times)

mathkills

I currently an officer on a submarine, qualified EOOW/EDO and Engineer.  I am fairly unfamiliar with the inner workings of civilian nuclear power.  Can someone please give me some advice on what kind of a position I can apply for that would take most advantage of my training in the Navy.  If it matters I have a BS and MS in Physics as well as an MS in Modelling and Simulation.  Thanks for any help!

-LTP

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: Navy Nuke Officer (Subs) to civillian nuclear power
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2012, 04:04 »
You could be a senior reactor operator, an engineer, or any sort of maintenance supervisor...., in general.

Pick your poison. Senior reactor operator is going to pay more in the long run..., and be more like what you're used to.

Justin

PS This has been discussed here ad nauseam. Do a quick search and you will find many who have followed your path.
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2012, 04:06 by Higgs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2012, 04:07 »
The answers in your first thread still apply. Interestingly, my answer there is almost identical to the one above.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,32803.msg147830.html#msg147830
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2012, 04:09 by Higgs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2012, 04:09 »
Janitor

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2012, 04:49 »
Nuclear Technician at Southern Co.

drayer54

« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2012, 05:15 »
Janitor
Nuclear Technician at Southern Co.

Broadzilla's pick pays more. I'd go with that one. :P

Offline NukeNTO

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2012, 03:09 »
I went from subs to engineering, a few officers I served with went into Ops as well.  There's always INPO/NRC to consider too if you're wanting to stay in the nuke world. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?