Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How and when was the magenta trefoil radiation symbol designed?  

Author Topic: How and when was the magenta trefoil radiation symbol designed?  (Read 9333 times)

duke99301

Historical

The following question was answered by an expert in the appropriate field:

Q: How and when was the magenta trefoil radiation symbol designed?

A: The now standard familiar radiation warning symbol first appeared in the latter half of the 1940s, and its origins and evolution (including some excellent color photos) have been documented in an article by Lloyd Stephens and Rosemary Barrett that appeared in both the Health Physics journal and in the book Health Physics: A Backward Glance. The symbol, in essentially its modern, form first appeared in late 1946 at the University of California Radiation Laboratory in Berkeley where it was used internally as a radiation warning symbol. The familiar trefoil was apparently a collective effort of a number of staff members of the Health Chemistry group at that facility. In April 1948, at the instigation of J. H. B. Kuper of Brookhaven National Laboratory, an Atomic Energy Commission Information Meeting was held at which the now familiar trefoil was adopted along with the unique magenta and light blue color scheme; the light blue was later changed to yellow for better visible contrast. Acceptance was good, and on September 11, 1953, ASA Z53.1-1953, specifiying the design details and colors, was adopted.

The original Berkeley design can be found on the Oak Ridge Associated Universities Web site along with earlier signs and later versions and some excellent commentary by Paul Frame of the Oak Ridge Institute of Science and Education.

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
Interesting bit of trivia . Thanks ;D
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
black 'n white is still legal anat.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Iowa_HP

I really enjoyed that piece of trivia! Maybe we should start a new topic on Nuclear Trivia? What does everyone think?

I noticed a couple blue and magenta signs posted around the KAPL-KSO in NY.  Guess this gives me some idea about how old some of those places are.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?