Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NFQT?  

Author Topic: NFQT?  (Read 8824 times)

Arron

NFQT?
« on: Feb 15, 2012, 11:49 »
Hey, there's a lot of stuff around the internet about this but I've yet to find anything specifically pertaining to my problem.  Apparently I'm supposed to take the NFQT soon, I'd be fine with this normally but in researching it I discovered that it was for people who didn't score high enough on the ASVAB.  I got a 96...I'm a little confused now.  I don't really think I could have possibly gotten my scores in those particular areas low enough to require this.  My recruiter also delivered this news along with that he finally got my transcripts.  Now I know that they were pretty bad I think I had like a 2.1 GPA simply because I found homework to be arbitrary when I could just ace all the tests.  Could this be a factor?  Do they think I just got ridiculously lucky on the ASVAB?  What's going on here?
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2012, 12:54 by Arron »

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: NFQT?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2012, 05:06 »
I wouldn't worry about it.  If you are capable of being a nuke, you'll do fine on the NFQT.  As a data point my son scored a 98 on the ASVAB and had to take the NFQT.  He barely passed the NFQT.  He's currently in about week 8 of NPS and seems to be doing fine.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

HeavyD

« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2012, 08:36 »
One opinion, and there will be plenty of those, is that the recruiter looked at your transcripts and GPA and decided that they need to see how you will perform on the basic principles put forth on the NFQT.

Everyone has an excuse for why they performed poorly in high school/college.  The Navy doesn't care.  Period.  What the Navy sees is that your transcript shows a documented below average performance.  The reason is irrelevant as far as the Navy is concerned.

Your statement about homework being arbitrary does make me pause.  The Navy Nuclear Power Program is built around compliance with procedures and following orders, back by maintaining a healthy questioning attitude.  I realize those may seem to be contradictory to each other.  The key is to find the balance.  The Navy has a set approach to teaching subjects in “A” School and Power School.  Comply with this methodology, do the homework because they tell you to and it provides practice in said methods and the road to success is much less bumpy.

The questioning attitude comes in to play when something seems strange or you really do not understand something.  Call it a “gut feeling” or whatever.  As you gain experience, you will come across situations where the hair stands up on the back of your neck or you get this feeling that something just isn’t right.  At that point, question what you are doing and why.

One last bit of advice.  Stop trying to figure out “Why?” and simply focus on doing your best.  The more effort you put into the program, along with your attitude, almost always yields better results.  I scored a 99 on the ASVAB and a 65 on the NFQT in 1990.  I graduated 4th in “A” School, top 10% in Power School, first qualified at Prototype, made 1st Class in 5 years, Chief in 8 and retired this past December at 20 years.  Effort and attitude were 90% of that success.  If you want it and are willing to put in the effort, the only thing holding you back will be yourself. 

Good luck and keep us posted. 

Offline zmorgn

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2012, 07:37 »
It's also possible that you've passed the age requirement.  You must be sub 25 to enter the program but you can still get in if you run the Gauntlet of the Age Waiver.  I'd turned 25 right before I started talking with my recruiter, so it was a given that I'd take the NFQT.  I definitely had to study for it because I hadn't taken a relevant math or chemistry class since high school.  Everyone here will tell you not to worry about it, but like HeavyD said, if you're willing to put in the effort, you'll come out better for it. 

Offline patrickodang

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2012, 06:51 »
do you guys know the score needed to not take the NFQT? i got a 92 on my asvab and my NUC sore was 252

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2012, 07:00 »
I bet with proper capitalization and use of the search function you can find this out.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2012, 07:13 »
do you guys know the score needed to not take the NFQT? i got a 92 on my asvab and my NUC sore was 252

A real nuke would WANT to take the NFQT, for 1) the experience and 2) proving he or she had more than sufficient knowledge.

Anything less, you should have gone Air Force!  :P

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2012, 07:20 »

Yes,...

I bet with proper capitalization and use of the search function you can find this out.

Yup, he could, it's been answered exactly 687 times before,....

A real nuke would WANT to take the NFQT, for 1) the experience and 2) proving he or she had more than sufficient knowledge.

Anything less, you should have gone Air Force!  :P

And yet , it only needed to be answered this one time,...

VE+AR+MK+NAPT = 290 (with minimum 50 NAPT score) or AR+MK+EI+GS+NAPT = 290 (with minimum 50 NAPT score) or VE+AR+MK+MC = 252 (No NAPT required) or AR+MK+EI+GS = 252 (No NAPT required).

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navy/l/blasvabscores.htm

Remember when sovbob answered this question something like 3 times in 5 days?!?!?

He had the best, most helpful answers, he had such a great helping attitude,...

The crutching nublets finally wore him down to the point that he still lurks, but almost never engages anymore,...

I speculate he's trying to keep his humanity,...doesn't want to end up like this eh?!?!?!?

(sic)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline crewjobs_too

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2012, 06:15 »
My son scored a 99 on the AFQT when he went to MEPS the first time, and he auto qualified for nuke based on his standard scores, but he took the NAPT test anyway and scored a 69 out of 80 on it.   Sometimes they have some qualified recruits take the NAPT anyway to calibrate the test results or something who knows.  He had scored well over 252 on the nuke part of the ASVAB his recruiter told us he scored high, but  the guy doing the NR interview was not present at MEPS that day. So  then a  week later he went back to MEPS to meet the NR guy and they  said we would like you to sit down and take this test with these other kids.  It was like here this test is starting in 10 minutes take this test.  What are you going to do, say No?  Of course not.  Get used to taking tests whenever the Navy asks you to take tests.   

Anyway he is an ET now and is scheduled to graduate NPS next week he is in the top 1/3 of the class.
Dad of a 22 year old ETN.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?