Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NUPOC Hopeful honeypot

Author Topic: NUPOC Hopeful  (Read 6086 times)

Offline hachie07

• Very Lite User
NUPOC Hopeful
« on: Mar 01, 2012, 10:26 »
I am currently a senior in high school, and I am registered to go to Texas A&M in the fall (major in Nuclear Engineering). I am very interested in NUPOC, and I was interested in what I can do to improve my chances on getting into the program, besides taking the required Calculus and Physics courses. For example, would rotc help? I know i would have to drop out of rotc if i get in.

Thanks for the help!

drayer54

Re: NUPOC Hopeful
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2012, 08:15 »
I am currently a senior in high school, and I am registered to go to Texas A&M in the fall (major in Nuclear Engineering). I am very interested in NUPOC, and I was interested in what I can do to improve my chances on getting into the program, besides taking the required Calculus and Physics courses. For example, would rotc help? I know i would have to drop out of rotc if i get in.

Thanks for the help!

Engineering at College Station is no joke. Stay focused on your classes!  I know several people who went for the school of engineering, but left with a something else degree because they didn't do well enough freshman year. Don't let tempting things like Northgate throw you off the right path. The Corps of Cadets is a major decision, you'll have to do a whole lot of research beyond these forums to get the right answers.

Congrats on picking a good school and good luck! Whoop!

robertmmiller.10

« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2012, 12:39 »
Just graduated from the A&M nuclear program (May '10). If NUPOC is what you want to do for sure, I would recommend talking with the recruiter asap when you get to CS. Probably can't apply until your sophomore or junior year, which is good so you'll have all the Physics and Calc out of the way.

It'll look good if you do Corps and all, but I've never met an engineer in the Corps with above a 3.2 gpa. There's a reason for that.

If you have any other questions, you can PM me. When you get to CS, be sure to make upper level friends. They'll be an amazing resource for picking classes/profs and homework/tests. That can be said of anywhere, but especially true with A&M engineering core classes.

BTW, I'm about to go to DC to interview on 3/22 if you have any questions about app process and such.
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2012, 12:40 by robertmmiller.10 »

Offline fortin2k07

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2012, 04:03 »
I graduated from A&M in 07 with a degree in chemistry and a minor in education. I just got accepted into the NUPOC program. If you are going to join the corps of cadets you need to pick a technical outfit like K-2 or N-1 in the regiment. Those outfits "should" have a test bank or exam file and the upperclassman can help you with most of the classes that you are going to take. The corps and ROTC are two separate things and if you need more help you can PM as well.

Samabby

« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2012, 10:38 »
" Those outfits "should" have a test bank or exam file and the upperclassman can help "

Is this the way it works?  :o

withroaj

« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2012, 05:00 »
Is this the way it works?  :o

Kind of lowers the prestige of the establishment, eh?

Offline NukeNTO

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2012, 09:49 »
I think the whole exam file thing is pretty common.  That doesn't mean they have the current exams, just copies of old exams by the same professors. 

Offline bwag174

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: Apr 15, 2012, 07:59 »
My situation is similiar. I'm a junior in high school and would like to know what you guys think about college before trying to get into NUPOC. I'm looking at going into college NEXT next fall as a sophmore because of AP classes and I'm dual enrollment. I'd be going to Penn State Main as a Nuclear and Chemical engineer major and possibly a Russian major. Should I go all the way through college then enroll (what I'm thinking about) or should I enroll after I'm done with a certain amount of college? I know the education courses are meant to help but when should I join in?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #8 on: Apr 15, 2012, 08:36 »
My situation is similiar. I'm a junior in high school and would like to know what you guys think about college before trying to get into NUPOC. I'm looking at going into college NEXT next fall as a sophmore because of AP classes and I'm dual enrollment. I'd be going to Penn State Main as a Nuclear and Chemical engineer major and possibly a Russian major. Should I go all the way through college then enroll (what I'm thinking about) or should I enroll after I'm done with a certain amount of college? I know the education courses are meant to help but when should I join in?

It kinda defeats the good deal that NUPOC is if you join after you graduate.  Apply as soon as you are eligible if NUPOC is what you want.

Cheers,

GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?