Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu BWR or PWR...?

Author Topic: BWR or PWR...?  (Read 9959 times)

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
BWR or PWR...?
« on: Mar 15, 2012, 08:21 »
Helpers,

My friend must choose between an interview for EO at a bwr or pwr.  I'm not sure which one to tell him.  The only major difference besides the obvious pwr/bwr rad/ops stuff is schedule.  The pwr is on 12s, while the bwr is on hybrid 8s (12s on the weekend).  Both plants are inpo 1/2 and had decent performance the last few years.  Should he base it solely on the amount of OT he wants to work (outages every 18 or 24 months)? 

Thoughts from anyone who's worked at both?

Thank you kindly.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
Re: BWR or PWR...?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2012, 08:29 »
Both have their own advantages and disadvantages.  They really are about equal.... Make the decision based on where he wants to live and quality of life.  I highly recommend a 24 month fuel cycle and a single unit for quality of life.

Also look at the management team if you can... What kind of relationship the union has with management.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2012, 08:29 »
Helpers,

My friend must choose between an interview for EO at a bwr or pwr.  I'm not sure which one to tell him.  The only major difference besides the obvious pwr/bwr rad/ops stuff is schedule.  The pwr is on 12s, while the bwr is on hybrid 8s (12s on the weekend).  Both plants are inpo 1/2 and had decent performance the last few years.  Should he base it solely on the amount of OT he wants to work (outages every 18 or 24 months)?  

Thoughts from anyone who's worked at both?

Thank you kindly.

Any place that is on 8s can reduce staff by about 5-10% when they go to 12s. Seen it happen.
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2012, 08:30 by HydroDave63 »

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2012, 08:56 »
I've yet to see an Operational staff get reduced when going to 12s.

On the other hand. 24 Month Single Unit is ideal.

If he wants money a Dual Unit 18 month.

If he is insane a 3 Unit plant.

From an EO perspective. No difference at all. If the BWR has a Mark I containment it will suck because they are to say the least compact.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2012, 10:19 »
I've yet to see an Operational staff get reduced when going to 12s.

On the other hand. 24 Month Single Unit is ideal.

If he wants money a Dual Unit 18 month.

If he is insane a 3 Unit plant.

From an EO perspective. No difference at all. If the BWR has a Mark I containment it will suck because they are to say the least compact.

Unlike the spacious room in a ice condenser plant containment?

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2012, 07:09 »
Having been in both the Ice Plant is quite a bit more spacious than a Mark 1. Put it this way, the upper containment at my plant is twice as big as an entire Mark 1 containment and the lower is about 3.5 to 4 times bigger.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2012, 09:37 »
As much as I disliked the Ice Condenser containment I worked in I would take it over a Mark 1 any day.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

nsz8

« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2012, 09:43 »
I used to think I liked PWRs more. Now I think I like BWRs more. I think I like whatever of the type of plant I am currently working in...

:)

Lots of help there I know. Pick the place that offers the best living arrangements for him and his fam.

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2012, 07:23 »
I just like reactors. From a Licensed standpoint both have their upsides and downsides.

On the other hand MOST of the time I like PWR EOPs better because you are only in one at a time and it tells you which one to be in.

THEN I'll remember how much I miss the Wild West and Gunslinger aspect of BWR EOPs. Having had the lead examiner of Region 3 call me the bigest gunslinger in the region and telling my Ops manager at the time he swore I fire through the holster was a highlight of my SRO career :)

IPREGEN

« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2012, 08:34 »
Tell him to do both interviews and make his own decision. It's the people that will make one station better than the other.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2012, 10:05 »
I just like reactors. From a Licensed standpoint both have their upsides and downsides.

On the other hand MOST of the time I like PWR EOPs better because you are only in one at a time and it tells you which one to be in.

THEN I'll remember how much I miss the Wild West and Gunslinger aspect of BWR EOPs. Having had the lead examiner of Region 3 call me the bigest gunslinger in the region and telling my Ops manager at the time he swore I fire through the holster was a highlight of my SRO career :)

That is what my perspective is turning into. Just had my first PWR EOP eval, and I'm not trying to sound like an a$$hole, but I found myself largely bored as compared to BWR. Definitely seems to be more out of the box thinking in BWR EOPs, not to say there isn't any of that at a PWR..., its just more scripted.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2012, 11:32 »

I'm old. Woke up every 2 hours to pee!

After all those years sitting on hard chairs, could be a urological problem... just sayin'  [coffee] [whistle]

milo124

« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2012, 12:28 »
From an old HP perspective, they're both contaminated - so it didn't matter (some more so than others but that goes with the job).  From a dose perspective - same as above, although I will admit the daily walk down with ops at Hatch was not fun (my only operating BWR experience and I picked up some dose doing those - lol).  Things have changed a lot with all the mergers but I would have to agree that the area the plant is located in will make a big difference as will the management.  Interview with both, and while you're there check out the area and the people (unless it's a phone interview).  And even if it's by phone, there's a lot of good information here.  BTW, good luck.

Fermi2

« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2012, 09:29 »
From a dose perspective NLOs get a much higher dose at the PWR where I work than the BWR where I used to work.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?