Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Would you do it again? honeypot

Author Topic: Would you do it again?  (Read 19746 times)

Offline patrickodang

• Light User
Would you do it again?
« on: Mar 16, 2012, 06:58 »
I am thinking about going nuke and I just wanted to know; would you sign up for nuke again if you could go back with the knowledge you have now? What do you wish you knew before going in? My recruiter is really trying to push nuke on me, and everything he is telling me sounds great. I am just afraid of making a decision that I'll regret for the next 6 years.

Thanks

Fermi2

Re: Would you do it again?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2012, 07:01 »
Many threads address this...

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2012, 07:05 »
.....What do you wish you knew before going in?....

The winning numbers for the March 9th, 1980 New York State Lottery,....

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline patrickodang

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2012, 07:21 »
Many threads address this...

I have spent the last 2 hours trying to find a good answer to this. I have looked at all of the useful posts, most of which are from 04/05. the search option is not very useful to specific questions like this, although it has helped me a lot for other questions.

If you have seen this posted a million times, and don't feel like answering it, then please don't. But I'm sure there are plenty of people here who will answer it.

Besides, if every question were only asked once, what else would you be doing on here except telling people to use the search option?
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2012, 07:22 by patrickodang »

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2012, 07:28 »
Asked more than once, and do not tell me what to do child.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2012, 07:30 »
I have spent the last 2 hours trying to find a good answer to this. I have looked at all of the useful posts, most of which are from 04/05......

Here's one from less than four hours ago,....it's the best one if I say so myself,...

The Navy was the easiest long term job I have ever known,.... except the being married part,....

If it works for you, you can realize so many changes during your career that getting hung up on "a job that I don't like" is a defeatist, often self-fulfilling attitude,...

Any MM with a level of motivation beyond "here I am, put me to work" is not going to be a flange head or valve turner for his/her full career,...

Your job has great potential to evolve way past lighting off the DFT,...

All Navy ratings in the NNPP have a lot of potential,...

The trick is to look for it, and set yourself up for it,...

My own mantra on the "want to retire from the Navy" mindset is do not be a nuke if Navy retirement is your primary goal,...

Nukes work way too hard for their coin compared to most other Navy rates,...

The Navy does offer nukes more financial incentives, and you will earn every extra penny in spades,...

So,.... be a nuke if being a nuke is what you want to do, more than retiring from the Navy, more than sailing the seven seas and seeing the world,...

Because, as a nuke you'll spend a lot of time sailing the seven seas, you'll see a little less of that world than your shipmates, spend a dam sight lesser amount of time with your family than your shipmates and, as far as I know, there is no nuke retirement pro-pay,...

On the upside, should you choose to opt out of the USN at six years or later, the jobs with good pay and good benefits are there, as opposed to throwing the dice and choosing the BM rating,...

( then again, one of my second cousins got in as an EA, he don't go to sea much, but he has been to USCENTCOM a time or two )

good luck and welcome to nukeworker,....keep us posted, we like success stories,....  [coffee]

(sic)

This was a real good thread for the upside of the NNPP,...

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,15058.0.html

Take notice no poster ever types "time with wife", or "time with children",...

I'm just saying,... [coffee]
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2012, 07:37 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline patrickodang

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2012, 07:55 »
Thank you, that thread helps a lot!

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2012, 08:14 »
And you couldn't find that on your own? You won't last long as a nuke.

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2012, 09:31 »
I am going to break the trend here and not provide the usual condescending,negative,you are obviously a dummy unworthy of being a nuke, cant you use the search function answer, and simply answer the question. Looking at my current state of affairs, looking at my degree-less education portfolio, I would say without hesitation I would do it again if I was in the same situation as I was when I was 18.The nuke life has been very good to me at the relatively minor price of 6 yrs. in Uncle Sams and Admiral Rickovers Navy. Underway on nuclear power on the first Nimitz class carrier -priceless. I will now sign off and avail my post for summary crucifixion in the arena of improper punctuation and grammar.Thank the admiral I can spell or that too would be available. MM2/ELT USS Nimitz CVN-68. 80-84 BOHICA

drayer54

« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2012, 10:03 »
I am going to break the trend here and not provide the usual condescending,negative,you are obviously a dummy unworthy of being a nuke, cant you use the search function answer, and simply answer the question. Looking at my current state of affairs, looking at my degree-less education portfolio, I would say without hesitation I would do it again if I was in the same situation as I was when I was 18.The nuke life has been very good to me at the relatively minor price of 6 yrs. in Uncle Sams and Admiral Rickovers Navy. Underway on nuclear power on the first Nimitz class carrier -priceless. I will now sign off and avail my post for summary crucifixion in the arena of improper punctuation and grammar.Thank the admiral I can spell or that too would be available. MM2/ELT USS Nimitz CVN-68. 80-84 BOHICA

My only critique is the excess amount of bitter whining in this post. I agree that the reply's haven't been all helpful lately, but give me a break.

« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2012, 10:03 by Drayer »

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2012, 02:07 »
I will now sign off and avail my post for summary crucifixion in the arena of improper punctuation and grammar.Thank the admiral I can spell or that too would be available.

... you forgot to space.....    <3 [GH] [spam]

Offline Safety Matt

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2012, 03:15 »

... you forgot to space.....    <3 [GH] [spam]

Probably just a typo.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2012, 05:13 »
Probably just a typo.

I see what you did here.... :p

IPREGEN

« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2012, 07:38 »
Ask your recruiter to bring a Navy Nuke to his office. The recruiter knows only what he has heard or been taught to say. I was on the fence when I first went. The recruiter asked me to bring my father so he could speak with him. I told him my father will not be joining the Navy. The recruiter located a short timer Nuke that already had a job lined up in commercial power at pretty good pay. That's what convinced me to join. I did not join to have a good time or see the world. I joined for the end result, a GI Bill and a good chance to earn a nice living.

Offline patrickodang

• Light User
« Reply #14 on: Mar 21, 2012, 01:07 »
And you couldn't find that on your own? You won't last long as a nuke.

I said that the thread helps a lot. I didn't say it answered my question. Also, there are plenty of threads on here of people's experiences as navy nukes, but the question I asked has not been asked yet. I asked if people would make the decision to become a navy nuke again, not for their experience.

Please, lighten up on this forum. People come here looking for help, not for you to tell them how unqualified they are for nuke since they can't use the search option. Also, judging somebody's intelligence by how they write on an online forum is completely arrogant and useless.

But anyway, I realize you are just a troll and no matter what I say, you will just continue to be negative and rude. So, until you are ready to grow up and give me a helpful answer; goodbye.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Mar 21, 2012, 01:44 »
I said that the thread helps a lot. I didn't say it answered my question. Also, there are plenty of threads on here of people's experiences as navy nukes, but the question I asked has not been asked yet. I asked if people would make the decision to become a navy nuke again, not for their experience.

Please, lighten up on this forum. People come here looking for help, not for you to tell them how unqualified they are for nuke since they can't use the search option. Also, judging somebody's intelligence by how they write on an online forum is completely arrogant and useless.

But anyway, I realize you are just a troll and no matter what I say, you will just continue to be negative and rude. So, until you are ready to grow up and give me a helpful answer; goodbye.

No.

That "Troll" you speak of is an industry expert with more experience in the field then you've been alive.
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2012, 01:44 by Starkist »

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #16 on: Mar 21, 2012, 07:21 »
I am thinking about going nuke and I just wanted to know; would you sign up for nuke again if you could go back with the knowledge you have now? What do you wish you knew before going in? My recruiter is really trying to push nuke on me, and everything he is telling me sounds great. I am just afraid of making a decision that I'll regret for the next 6 years.

Thanks
Yes, in a heartbeat.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #17 on: Mar 21, 2012, 09:11 »
I said that the thread helps a lot. I didn't say it answered my question. Also, there are plenty of threads on here of people's experiences as navy nukes, but the question I asked has not been asked yet. I asked if people would make the decision to become a navy nuke again, not for their experience....

It's been asked, here's one of the best cogent answers;

Knowing what I know now (9 years Navy, 1 year commercial), I wish I would have found NW.com before I joined the Navy, or just figured out how to find nuke jobs, and just signed on as an NLO somewhere. That isnt to say that I regret my Navy time or anything like that, but it certainly wasn't the easiest way. So, the EASIEST way would be to get a 2 year technical degree and sign on as an NLO somewhere. But is that way any better or worse than 6 and out in the Navy? Well that is all subjective. There are those that will tell you that the worst operators they have seen were ex Navy. There are those who will tell you that the best operators they have seen are ex Navy. There is no one best way or easier way for everyt situation. What it really comes down to is this, and there is no getting around it... what is the best way for YOU? None of us here on nuke worker could possibly answer that for you. All we can do is give you our experience and anecdotes explaining our experience. But again, in the end, only you can figure out whats best/easiest for you.

As for EM vs other rates... that has been hashed and rehashed a million times here, and in fact there is a current thread on the topic. Here is the reality...

A Navy nuke is a Navy nuke is a Navy nuke. No one rate gives you an advantage over another. No one rate is hired more than another due soley to that rate. No one really cares what rate you were.

What does this lead to? Oh ya, what do YOU want to do? I don't know and I am sorry that I can't tell you the answer to that.

Hope this helps.

Justin

the reason why you get experience versus simple yes or no is in there too,...

if you want simple yes or no,.... I vote yes,....

if you hate it in three years with three more to go what do I care? it's no skin off my teeth,... [coffee]

join up now,....yes,....yes,...yes,....

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #18 on: Mar 26, 2012, 06:44 »

Thanks
Ask yourself this:  Why am I joining the navy?  What program gives me the best chance for future success?  Am I willing to commit myself to a tough training program and a tough work life?  For me the Navy was the right decision at that time in my life.  It turns out being a submarine nuke suited me.  There were times I regretted decisions I made.  Even today I question why did I stay nuke.  It requires a commitment that most people are not willing to make. 
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

withroaj

« Reply #19 on: Mar 26, 2012, 08:42 »
You may find that employers nowadays look more for relevant experience than they look for formal education.  I'll tell you that I had a decent time on my Navy Adventure and got a pretty nice job, AND that I got hired on with a starting salary about $10-15K higher than the folks with degrees and no experience, AND that I don't have any student debt, AND I have the nice GI Bill benefits to use to finish my degree now that I'm out.  It also helps that the military instills some good professional traits.  You'll show up to work on time, presumably with good (or at least passable hygiene), and you'll do what you're told without much complaint.  Those traits can help you stand out in a crowd of young folks whose life experiences are living with parents followed by college (high school II).

There were good days and bad days, but the bad days are meaningless now that I've finished my contract.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

withroaj

« Reply #20 on: Mar 26, 2012, 11:56 »
I guess I should add that you WILL deploy, you WILL spend years with 70+ percent of the time at sea, and that you WILL engage in hostilities against others. If you're on a carrier you will help launch planes that drop bombs that kill people. Joining the military isn't really a decision to take lightly. Watch the news and decide if you want to be "there" when the poo hits the fan. Whatever you do, have fun with it.

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #21 on: Mar 26, 2012, 12:44 »
AND that I don't have any student debt, AND I have the nice GI Bill benefits to use to finish my degree now that I'm out.  It also helps that the military instills some good professional traits.  You'll show up to work on time, presumably with good (or at least passable hygiene), and you'll do what you're told without much complaint.  Those traits can help you stand out in a crowd of young folks whose life experiences are living with parents followed by college (high school II).

That's exactly why I wish I had enlisted right out of highschool.  College can really take you for a spin if you're not ready for the responsibility; it's easy to get caught up in all the freedom and parties and forget about why you're really there.  Granted, I eventually finished a BS and MS degree, and have a good job now, but it took a while for me to get my head on straight.  Now I'm left wondering what is like to have sea stories to tell.
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2012, 12:47 by cheme09 »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #22 on: Mar 26, 2012, 05:34 »
Would I do it again?

Yes. I don't know where I'd be today without the NNPP. Probable face down in a ditch somewhere.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #23 on: Mar 26, 2012, 06:01 »
Would I do it again?

Yes. I don't know where I'd be today without the NNPP. Probable face down in a ditch somewhere.

Justin

get Direct TV...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7udQSHWpL88

[OT] [hijack] [spank] [dowave]
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Chimera

« Reply #24 on: Mar 26, 2012, 09:03 »

Thanks

Yes, I would do it again.  There will be times you will regret your decision - but that applies to almost any decision you will make in your life.  It will be something you will look back on the rest of your life with fondness - even the miserable parts - although you may not believe that while the miserable parts are happening.  Just remember: The Navy will only teach you what they need you to know to do the job they want you to do.  Study hard.  Learn as much as you can . . . and then just a little bit more.  Work on your degree program while you're still in.  Complete it when you get out.  Have fun and take lots of pictures.

Michael

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?