Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu SCANA questions  

Author Topic: SCANA questions  (Read 5313 times)

Offline Meatwad_757

• Lurker
SCANA questions
« on: Mar 28, 2012, 08:00 »
Quick bits of information - I was a nuke EM for 10 years and got out last Jun as an E-6. I failed to research commercial nuclear power adequately when I was looking for a job and instead took a job in Oregon at a semiconductor manufacturer.

I've been working as a test engineering technician for 9 months and it's not for me. I have learned some new skills, but I want to get into commercial nuclear power. After reading various posts on this site I'm certain that aux operator is the best starting point for me. I applied for an aux operator position at SCANA and did some research on the company/site. I was wondering if anyone here has experience from the V.C. Summer nuclear generating station. Specifically thoughts on the area, where one would live that worked at the plant, if it's even a good plant (work environment wise).
Thank you in advance for your responses.

P.S - I was looking and applying for the completely wrong positions when I was transitioning. Contellation Energy threw me a bone after a job fair in Groton, CT and I got a job offer to be a maintenance electrician. I probably should have taken it, but I didn't want to live in southern Canada ya know (I know it's in Lake Oswego, NY)? I really wanted to find something at diablo canyon or SONGS, but they weren't hiring at the time.

« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2012, 08:14 by Meatwad_757 »

HeavyD

Re: SCANA questions
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2012, 10:11 »
I’m working for the NND (New Nuclear Deployment) group at VC Summer.  So, I can’t speak too much for the folks over at Unit 1 and Operations.  I have a few friends over there, including two guys who actually worked for me when I was the CLELT at NPTU back in the late-90’s.

From what I’ve gathered, the work environment over at Unit 1 is pretty good.  Operators are on shift work, as is expected.  Instructors work normal hours.  Over here at NND we work with an alternating three day weekend, every other Friday is an off day with us split evenly.  Once we get heavy into the construction, we may end up doing some shift work as the construction will be going twenty four hours.

Benefits are great.  The cost of health insurance is a HUGE eye opener for any ex-military member.  As a retiree I am fortunate that I can get Tricare Prime and that I found a good family practitioner and pediatric doc for my kids that take Tricare.  The company health care plan is actually very affordable, compared to other plans.  The dental is awesome for a really good price.

Bonus plan laid out for employees, tied to personal achievement and company benchmarks.  Paid time off earned each month, starting from day one.  401K with matching company contribution.

Pay is about average to slightly above average, compared to industry wide.  There are other utilities that pay more, but their benefits are not as good, from what I have learned talking to folks at other plants.  Can’t discuss too many specifics, since that sort of thing is greatly frowned upon :)

I currently live in Irmo, right outside of Columbia.  Gives me about a 20 minute drive to the site.  We have folks that live all around the area and have drives varying from about 10 minutes all the way up to an hour.  The traffic in the evenings can rival that of Hampton roads if you are travelling around or through Columbia.  Housing costs are relatively cheap, with a 2400 sq ft house costing around $200k.

Weather is awesome.  Coldest it got this winter was around 30 degrees.  On the flip side, the summer is HOT and humid.  If you were in Goose Creek in the summer, you know what I am talking about.

If you are looking for an opening, we have recently posted several.  Operators, QA, QC, engineers.  The vote for our license is this Friday (30 March 2012) so we are in need of more folks.

Hopefully this meandering post helps out a little.  Sorry I can’t provide more in-depth info.  One last bit is that SCANA has a reputation within South Carolina of treating their employees very well.  When there are job openings, the company receives more than enough interested folks.  So, take that for what it may be worth.

Good luck and thanks for serving! 

Offline Meatwad_757

• Lurker
Re: SCANA questions
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2012, 12:50 »
Thanks for the quick reply and information.

While I would really like to get into QA/QC or procedure writing, I don't think my navy and post navy experience is enough to get me even remotely considered. I did qualify QAI/QAS and assisted the QAO during an 8 month long DMD and SRA. From what I've read on the forums these quals mean nothing outside of the navy, but I imagine I could express interest in QA/QC or procedure writing once I've been an aux operator for a bit.
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2012, 01:04 by Meatwad_757 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?