Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu future navy nuke
honeypot

Author Topic: future navy nuke  (Read 21328 times)

Offline ohio7

• Very Lite User
future navy nuke
« on: Apr 10, 2012, 09:08 »
Last week I joined the navy!! got an 11,000 dollar signing bonus, I leave for boot camp jan 9th 2013, then to Charleston SC for nuke school!!

I got a NFQT of 86 and did not have to take the NAPT, a 26 on the ACT, I graduated high school in june 2011 with a 2.9 GPA, in high school I took 2 years of architecture at a carer center, chem 1, physics, pre calc 1&2, I did well in all of these but am rusty because I have not used any of it much in the last year.

my question is, Is there any classes I should take/things to study in the 9 months before I leave for recruit training?

and any other thoughts suggestions(carier vs. sub, MM vs. EM vs. ET) would be nice.

Fermi2

Re: future navy nuke
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2012, 09:18 »
Proper capitalization and use of the search function would be a good start.

Offline ohio7

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2012, 12:35 »
When I searched the only post I found was related to a collage student who had taken years of higher level math and science. I was hoping to get an answer to my question. Not be criticized for imperfect writing.

Thank you for you response,
Beau Williams

Offline seven1271

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2012, 02:09 »
I've been using this site for a while now and this is the first I've actually felt motivated to post something.  For the life of me, I really don't understand all the negativity lately on these boards!!  Just answer the poor kids question... or politely direct him/her to a search or if you're so motivated (vice critiquing their spelling, forum knowledge of searches, or head in the cloud ideas and expectations of the industry) post a link where you have done the search for them.  Seems to me, people come here for insight into an industry with most likely more misinformation available than correct actual experience, perhaps a bit of mentoring as well.  Why don't we all just try a little bit of manners, you need not reply to scold someone as I'm certain your energies and mastery skills of grammar could be put to better use.  My two cents....

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Apr 11, 2012, 02:49 »
When I searched the only post I found was related to a collage student who had taken years of higher level math and science. I was hoping to get an answer to my question. Not be criticized for imperfect writing.

Beau Williams

Number 1 criteria for a successful nuke: Learn to find readily available information on your own.

Number 2: Get a thick skin and do not whine when something is not handed to you.

Both apply here.... you can either be a success or you can waste your time. You choose.

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2012, 02:51 »
I've been using this site for a while now and this is the first I've actually felt motivated to post something.  For the life of me, I really don't understand all the negativity lately on these boards!!  Just answer the poor kids question... or politely direct him/her to a search or if you're so motivated (vice critiquing their spelling, forum knowledge of searches, or head in the cloud ideas and expectations of the industry) post a link where you have done the search for them.  Seems to me, people come here for insight into an industry with most likely more misinformation available than correct actual experience, perhaps a bit of mentoring as well.  Why don't we all just try a little bit of manners, you need not reply to scold someone as I'm certain your energies and mastery skills of grammar could be put to better use.  My two cents....

Sorry, most of the people who tend to be curt about items like this are those who have had long and successful careers. Virtually every nuke has to take logs, state opinions in writing, revise procedures, et al. So yes punctuation and proper writing skills are important from day 1.
Given the "poor kid" will be required to find information on his own he might as well learn here.

Offline tntplayer

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2012, 05:20 »

Beau Williams

See what you are getting yourself into!  Many of the managers, SRO's, etc. in the nuke field are like this.  I am not saying that it is right, it is just the way it is. 

I am glad to see that you are excited about joining the Navy.  I hope that you get as much out of it that I did.

To answer your original question I would suggest to just review the things that you learned in school, physics, math and chemistry.  They will serve as a good base for the information and concepts that you will be learning in nuke school.  I scored in the 90's on the NFQT way back when.  I didn't do any special studying prior to going to Nuke School.

Good Luck!

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2012, 06:03 »
See what you are getting yourself into!  Many of the managers, SRO's, etc. in the nuke field are like this.  I am not saying that it is right, it is just the way it is. 

It's the way it is because it's the right way to be.

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2012, 06:22 »
my question is, Is there any classes I should take/things to study in the 9 months before I leave for recruit training?

Broadzilla's 2 criteria stated earlier are ones you should remember.  With only 3 clicks of the mouse (from the forum homepage - 4 clicks from nukeworker.com) I was at a post where 7 more links to info on how to prepare/what to study for the nuclear pipeline are listed.  I didn't even use the search feature.

When I searched the only post I found was related to a collage student who had taken years of higher level math and science. I was hoping to get an answer to my question.

If your question was "Is there anything I should study before training?", how does another individual's previous scholastic history matter?  

Now remember that 2nd criterion: have thick skin, and start building good nuke habits and do some work to see if you can find out what post I am refering to.
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2012, 06:35 by cheme09 »

Offline ohio7

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2012, 06:27 »
I was not trying to wine just saying that I was actually expecting help with my question. I am ready to learn and consider my self to be thick skinned. I did search and I did not find the answer to my question so I asked. I do not work and have some time in DEP and wanted advice for people who have done it before me. And I was truly thanking you for your response and from now on will work on my withing on forums.

Thank you for your advice,
Beau Williams

Offline EM1Badger

• Very Lite User
« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 2012, 06:43 »
Last week I joined the navy!! got an 11,000 dollar signing bonus, I leave for boot camp jan 9th 2013, then to Charleston SC for nuke school!!

I got a NFQT of 86 and did not have to take the NAPT, a 26 on the ACT, I graduated high school in june 2011 with a 2.9 GPA, in high school I took 2 years of architecture at a carer center, chem 1, physics, pre calc 1&2, I did well in all of these but am rusty because I have not used any of it much in the last year.

and any other thoughts suggestions(carier vs. sub, MM vs. EM vs. ET) would be nice.

First, congratulations, thanks for serving, etc.
Second, you'll need to step your game up in order to succeed at nuke school. Our attrition rates aren't as high as they once were; however, you still have to work very hard on a day to day basis. The program used to have a 20% pass rate. I think we hover in the 80-90% area now.

Before leaving for recruit training, this is what to study: nothing.

Seriously. You'll get taught everything you need to. If you go in already somewhat burnt out from studying, you'll be one of our psych-drops. We get plenty of students that become overwhelmed and tell doc that they can't take it anymore.

If you have to study regardless, go memorize the entirity of the Applied Engineering Principles handbook. You'll basically be doing that as part of your training anyway. Luckily, you get 2 months of boot camp to forget everything you might get out of that.

If you want to go subs and nothing will change your mind, volunteer for it. If you ever volunteer for subs you can never take it back. Don't believe anyone that says you can. Otherwise, I would research submarines and decide if you want to be on one. Basically, submarine nukes work more than carrier nukes and get paid more. You also develop more health problems. Submarine deployments will not be as long as carrier deployments but you could still spend just as much time out to sea. Carrier quality of life is way higher (We have starbucks onboard.) Submariner nukes make fun of carrier nukes for being soft but once you get to the carrier you'll never know that. Oh, volunteering for submarines does not mean you will go to one. You also don't -really- get to pick what rate (EM/MM/ET) you are. Oh, you also don't really get to pick where you go for duty, ever. You can list your preference but it always comes down to what the Navy needs at that time. Your rate is determined by a breakdown for each bootcamp division so there is no way to ensure you get what you want.

Oh, and expect to get criticized non-stop. It's how we improve.
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2012, 12:22 by EM1Badger »

Offline tntplayer

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #11 on: Apr 11, 2012, 07:08 »
It's the way it is because it's the right way to be.

That is YOUR opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: Apr 11, 2012, 07:58 »

Not true; everybody knows Broadzilla's opinions are fact.

(Disclaimer: Absolutely no sarcasm should be inferred from this post.)

Fermi2

« Reply #13 on: Apr 11, 2012, 09:12 »

Incorrect, an SRO or manager should DEMAND perfection from every person who works for them, and that means in everything. If you cannot accept that you do not belong anywhere near a nuclear facility.

Fermi2

« Reply #14 on: Apr 11, 2012, 09:15 »
I was not trying to wine just saying that I was actually expecting help with my question. I am ready to learn and consider my self to be thick skinned. I did search and I did not find the answer to my question so I asked. I do not work and have some time in DEP and wanted advice for people who have done it before me. And I was truly thanking you for your response and from now on will work on my withing on forums.

Thank you for your advice,
Beau Williams

In nuclear the best way to get help is to first help yourself.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Apr 11, 2012, 09:20 »
Incorrect, an SRO or manager should DEMAND perfection from every person who works for them, and that means in everything. If you cannot accept that you do not belong anywhere near a nuclear facility.

"Organizational learning is embraced".

That said, I don't know why coaching a person to find his own answers, and speak in a professional manner is "trolling" or "rude" in any fashion. Brash and curt, perhaps....

In nuclear the best way to get help is to first help yourself.

This is what caused me to scram the plant within hours of my first steps in the plant.  I believe drayer was the RAW when this happened too lol.
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2012, 09:22 by Starkist »

Fermi2

« Reply #16 on: Apr 11, 2012, 09:24 »

This is what caused me to scram the plant within hours of my first steps in the plant.  I believe drayer was the RAW when this happened too lol.

Not a real reactor so it doesn't count.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Apr 11, 2012, 09:25 »
Not a real reactor so it doesn't count.

haha yes, but it was a good learning experience for me, and 2nd checking yourself is never a bad thing. Principles still apply.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #18 on: Apr 11, 2012, 10:19 »

I'll agree, with a stipulation, since we all know perfection is not always possible.  As a manager (and that includes every SRO in my book) you teach and coach your folks to do the right thing, i.e., perfection.  When every one is trained and working to those standards, things are great.  That's when you perform the best when the  [poo] happens.
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline tntplayer

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #19 on: Apr 12, 2012, 08:48 »

Again your opinions.  For your information I have been working in nuclear facilities for many years now (probably as long as you have) and I have excelled at what I do and have received many accolades for my accomplishments.

As to the original post.  Obviously, the post was written by a young recently out of high school kid (I say kid because I am most likely old enough to be he father) looking for a little encouragement and affirmation about being a navy nuke and the first thing that he gets is criticism.  Maybe the advice that you are giving is correct but the tone that you use is very condensending and rude.  The original post was written in a lighthearted tone and attention to detail was not warrented in this case.  If you can't separate yourself from your work life then I feel sorry for you. Just try to relax, smell the roses and give the kid a little encouragement.  He will be getting enough of this "perfection" attitude soon enough.

Samabby

« Reply #20 on: Apr 12, 2012, 09:27 »
Beau,

Get your affairs in order at home. Clean up any debt & don't add any new debt.

Get to a high level of PT. Keep it there.

Relax and enjoy the time with your family, friends & loved oned.

Excell in Great Lakes in all aspects. Become a leader.

While BroadZ is mildly abrasive  :P, he always cuts to the chase & provides accurate information. There will be others who will seem far more harsh. It's all part of the drill.

Best of luck, son. 8)
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2012, 09:53 by Samabby »

HeavyD

« Reply #21 on: Apr 12, 2012, 10:33 »
Some of the things that EM1 stated are either their opinion or are just ……… wrong.

If you WANT to be assigned to a submarine, then volunteer.  Not sure why EM1 said to not volunteer.  If you DON’T volunteer, you are guaranteed NOT to be selected.

The statement about sub nukes working more than surface nukes is, at best, speculation.  Having worked alongside both fast attack and “boomer” (ballistic missile submarine) nukes, the work tends to be roughly equivalent.  The one exception may be for the electricians.  On a sub, the EMs own everything.  On a carrier, the Nuke Ems typically are only involved with the gear in the plants.  Engineering (non-nuke Ems) owns all the stuff outside of the propulsion plant.

“You also develop more health problems.”  This statement is absolutely opinion.  Without proven research or clinical studies, opinion.  WE (the Nuke community) are bombarded by unfounded babble from numerous “special interest” groups about the harms of Nuclear Power on a daily basis.  We need to refrain from making the same kind of statements about ourselves to our potential fellow Nukes.

As far as deployment length, your mileage may vary.  Every time a carrier deploys, a fast attack submarine is assigned as part of the group.  Wherever that carrier goes, that fast attack is close by, keeping an eye out for the carrier.  So your deployment may be just as long as the carrier’s.

As far as having Starbucks onboard, that is a little deceiving.  Some of the carriers have Starbucks brand coffee, along with the cups and other crap, onboard.  There was (may still be in place, not sure since I retired in December) a contract between the Navy and Starbucks.

You do “really” get to pick your rate if you want to be an MM.  An individual can get MM as a guaranteed rate in their enlistment contract.  If you don’t go that route, then your rate is decided by a classifier, who takes various things into consideration such as current needs for the different rates, class size for upcoming “A” School and Power School classes (not Boot Camp division) among other factors.

As far as getting to pick where you go for duty, again EM1’s statement is misleading.  When you get your first assignment, you fill out a Duty Preference sheet.  Sometimes referred to as a “Dream Sheet”, this is your input to your Detailer about where you would like to be stationed.  Again, the manning needs at the various commands is a major factor here.  If you happen to be a female Nuke, an extra consideration is factored in; if the carrier (no enlisted females on subs, yet) has a rack open for you in the female berthings.  Each carrier only has X number of racks available in the female berthing compartments. No empty rack equals no assignment there.

Here is the bottom line.  You are about to begin the gigantic adventure that is adulthood.  You are going to be responsible for your actions.  Get the right attitude about staying focused in school, doing what you are told (comes with being in the military), and this little phrase that we have called “procedural compliance”.  The written instruction says do it this way, that’s what you do.  If it’s wrong, you don’t go off and re-write everything.  You stop, bring the discrepancy to the next level of supervision, get it corrected and then proceed.

What we do is inherently dangerous and destructive, if not taken seriously and treated with respect.  No one is going to be there holding your hand, spoon feeding you answers like has happened throughout your school years.  And before you get defensive about that statement, I know how it is because I have a 14 year old son who I routinely have to plant a foot in his @$$ to get him to understand that he has to put forth effort to get reward.  Search for answers, exhaust all possible avenues that you know of, then ask for assistance.  Check your ego and your feelings at the quarterdeck, as we used to say when I reported to the ENTERPRISE in 1993.

Get into shape, as has already been mentioned.  Get your finances, if any, in order.  Lay out some reasonable goals as you get to each step of the pipeline.  Work hard.  When I was a DLCPO (Divisional Leading Chief Petty Officer), I told my sailor’s I only had 2 rules.  1 – Show up on time. 2 – Do what you are told.  Follow those and things will go much smoother for you.

Best of luck and thank you for volunteering.

Offline EM1Badger

• Very Lite User
« Reply #22 on: Apr 12, 2012, 12:44 »
I meant to say "Volunteer if youre sure. If youre not, don't since you cant take it back once you volunteer." He'll possibly get pressured by instructors to volunteer for subs if manning is poor. I know this from experience on both sides and it absolutely happens. I made a typo in my original post which I have corrected. For completion's sake, you can volunteer for subs anywhere in the pipeline up until a few weeks into prototype.

Submarine nukes definitely work more than surface nukes. The surface duty rotation is typically 4-6 section for Rx Dept. Occassionally it'll drop to 3 section but that is rare outside of the Enterprise. The submarine rotation is typically 3 section, sometimes 2 or 4. Actual day to day working hours might be similar but duty rotation is definitely worse on a submarine.

The health problem statement had nothing to do with nuclear power. It was an opinion founded entirely on anecdotal evidence so I'll concede that point. I was refering to the large number of submariners I know with sleep apnea/breathing problems associated with poor air quality from oxygen regeneration systems. Also, I've met a number of people that claim to have vision/hearing problems associated with repeated pressurization. Again, these ARE anecdotal so take it with a grain of salt.

My statement regarding dream sheets is almost exactly what you said. You get a preference but it is entirely up to needs of the Navy. Most people will get at least their second choice; however, sub-vols getting "surfaced" is not uncommon.

I'm not sure how most of the things you cited in your post were misleading.

HeavyD

« Reply #23 on: Apr 12, 2012, 01:35 »
In retrospect, my response may have been a little toward the judgmental side  :)

My point about duty choice was more about choices after your first assignment.  Looking back I forgot to add that info.  When you are eligible to transfer from your first command, your choices and selections available to you are more open and varied.

As far as the physical problems go, I have encountered many former and current sailors experiencing the same issues in the surface community.  I personally found myself suffering from a case of bronchial-pneumonnia after returning from being underway for 2 weeks.  Actually turned out to be a reaction to the smoke from some fires burning in the Great Dismal Swamp at the time, but that story is for another day......

Work is work.  As a Nuke, your liberty time sucks compared to the rest of the ship/boat.  To put things into perspective, no other department on the ship can perform their job without us doing ours first.  We make the lights go on and keep them on (mostly  :)), we make the fresh water, provide the means to cook food and make the ship or boat go through the water.  We also make the steam (and electricity, with the FORD-class carrier) to shoot the plans off the pointy end of the ship.

The point is this; as a Nuke, more is expected of you than virtually anyone else onboard, save the CO.  Integrity is what your career is built on, "smarts"is what others will judge you on.  I have met plenty of "smart" Nukes who had no business being anywhere near a nuclear reactor and some "dumb" Nukes who can operate the plant with their eyes closed, and operate it well. 

Study what they present to you in "A" School and Power School.  Learn to do things the way the Navy teaches you.  Learn how to follow instructions/orders.  Come to grips with the fact that the rest of the Navy has it better than you do right now.  Also keep in mind that when you go to leave the service, your marketability is exponentially greater than there's and that a far better job awaits you, whether it be at one of our civilian sites or somewhere else.  Keep that little nugget tucked away in the back of your mind.

Lastly, as you can hopefully see, WE are passionate about what we do and we ALL tend to think we are right about everything.  Learn something new every single day, be open to learning new things and never turn down a school the Navy offers you.  Good luck and thank you for your service to EVERYONE on here who has and continues to serve.

drayer54

« Reply #24 on: Apr 12, 2012, 03:19 »
Beau,

Get your affairs in order at home. Clean up any debt & don't add any new debt.

Get to a high level of PT. Keep it there.

Relax and enjoy the time with your family, friends & loved oned.

Excell in Great Lakes in all aspects. Become a leader.

While BroadZ is mildly abrasive  :P, he always cuts to the chase & provides accurate information. There will be others who will seem far more harse. It's all part of the drill.

Best of luck, son. 8)

Best advice yet. Wherever you are now, you won't be there much soon. If you can test in, you don't need to study.

Just stay out of trouble and enjoy your time before ship date.

You were a true gem from the get-go. I haven't forgotten.

[2cents] IMHO, these teenagers who are looking for information on their future aren't searching, but they will have LPO's, Instructors or Shift managers and training department personnel to shape their nuclear character. It's not our job nor needed at all to jump on everyone of these guys. They'll learn. I think we could use a little less of unhelpful posts. Older guys should be fair game...
 [2cents]

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?