Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Is Decon an entry level position?  

Author Topic: Is Decon an entry level position?  (Read 7464 times)

nu-nuker

Is Decon an entry level position?
« on: Apr 10, 2012, 09:23 »
Going to start calling recruiters again this week. Decon is entry level correct? 

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
Re: Is Decon an entry level position?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2012, 07:47 »
Decon is pretty much entry level, yes.

Most of the grumbly old veterans on the website will tell you to look at the old posts and learn from that.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,9266.0.html is one that explains how get to be a bonafide Senior Health Physics Technician through different avenues of our industry.

That's the clean, politically correct version. The rest of their comments may not be so nice, as witnessed by the negative karma tally you boast. Good luck, friend.

nu-nuker

« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2012, 09:58 »
Decon is pretty much entry level, yes.

Most of the grumbly old veterans on the website will tell you to look at the old posts and learn from that.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,9266.0.html is one that explains how get to be a bonafide Senior Health Physics Technician through different avenues of our industry.

That's the clean, politically correct version. The rest of their comments may not be so nice, as witnessed by the negative karma tally you boast. Good luck, friend.

Thank you. I don't worry what the grumpy people say lol. My goal is to get in as Decon then work my way up to a Sr HP. I have been calling Bartlett for about a year and a half and they are always telling me no plants are taking in new people. It gets frustrating always hearing NO. Thanks again man. 

nu-nuker

« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2012, 10:05 »
Also, why hasn't anyone been hiring new Decon people? I have been trying to get in for some time now.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 11, 2012, 10:47 »
Bartlett normally hires deconners with > 6 months of experience. Other companies follow similar guidelines.

Some utilities have their own people called services people or station persons (used to be stationmen), so they don't need decon support.

For years, it is the job that was filled by someone's other half, sibling, relative, friend or what have you. Normally, you don't prepare to start a career of decon. Alot of HP technicians came right out of the bar or the military and got handed a meter and were told to start using it. They may hand someone a mop and say start swabbing.

Offline grae

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Jun 11, 2012, 03:27 »
I would like to know at what point are you a newbie in decon.  I have 12 years experience in nuclear power plants but i was never hired as a deconer or a junior hp.  So am i coming in as a new deconer.  All my 12 years experience was in the BRT as well. 

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #6 on: Jun 11, 2012, 04:32 »
I would like to know at what point are you a newbie in decon.  I have 12 years experience in nuclear power plants but i was never hired as a deconer or a junior hp.  So am i coming in as a new deconer.  All my 12 years experience was in the BRT as well. 

What have you been doing for 12 years that makes you want to be a deconner?
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #7 on: Jun 11, 2012, 04:36 »
I'd be happy to just get longer outage jobs.  Just 2 -3 weeks work in an outage period just doesn't get the job done.  I need outage jobs that last the length of the outage.  My problem is i got alot of nuclear experience but i'm to specialized.  I need to get some more general nuclear jobs like deconers or jr HPs.  their jobs pay a lot less than what i get now but they lastmuch longer thereby also building up claim weeks for the lean months.  $150 per hour is great...if you work more than 1 hour.  Not that i make that much...just making a point.

Never mind
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #8 on: Jun 11, 2012, 05:16 »
The answer to the question of why is it so hard to get in, is " it's the economy".
The economy has forced many former nukeworkers back into the business which makes it tougher to get into the business and makes finding a job harder for those with less experience. The plants and companies all prefer experienced workers.The days of being able to take time to actually train people on the job are fading into obscurity. The outages are too short and are run like production lines. If you hesitate in the field you WILL get run over.
The future is probably much better in  the trades (boilermakers, carpenters, electricians and laborers) than it is in Health Physics and Decon.
Anyway Good Luck in your quest to enter the wonderful world of Nuke Workers !!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?