Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Colorblindness honeypot

Author Topic: Colorblindness  (Read 14108 times)

WannaBeNuke94

Colorblindness
« on: Apr 13, 2012, 10:39 »
Hey all,

I'm new to these forums and very excited about a possible future as a Nuke in the Navy. Initially I wanted to go CTI, but the more I think about it, the more I want to be a nuke. I'm going on 18 in two months, and will without a doubt enlist ASAP. I'm giving up a pretty substantial amount of aid at a top university to enlist, so I want to make sure I get the most I can out of it. I got a 97 on the ASVAB, and my high school math record is pretty good (although not at all stellar), so I hope I qualify. The only thing is, I'm "colorblind."

Now, I'm not really color "blind" per se. I believe "color deficient" is the description. Basically, I tend to assume that extremely dark blues are black and that light pink is white, although if I look at things in a "what color is this" mindset instead of just... well looking at it and not trying to determine the color, I can pick up the color on the first try. It's really not a big deal. I told all of this to the recruiter and he told me "well, I'm not telling you to lie, but if you really want to be a nuke, you're not colorblind," blah blah blah.

Now I'm pretty confident that I can pass the test they give me (as long as it isn't the dots that make up a number test), so I'm tempted based on what my recruiter told me to not say I'm colorblind at all. However, I don't want to lie about some dumb s**t like colorblindness and get totally denied by the Navy. At the same time, I really want to be a Nuke and don't want to do anything to jeopardize that.

I don't mean to go on and on, so my questions are: Should I not mention being colorblind at all before taking the test, as my recruiter suggested? And when I do take the test, what is it like? And finally, worst case scenario, if I do fail the test, is it ever waiverable?

Thanks so much guys, real excited to be a sailor and possibly even a nuke!

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Colorblindness
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2012, 12:04 »
so I'm tempted based on what my recruiter told me to not say I'm colorblind at all. However, I don't want to lie about some dumb s**t like colorblindness and get totally denied by the Navy.

Since this your first post, and you just registered, I'll refrain from the standard reply that you have set yourself up for; i.e., "Use the 'search' function"!  The question or close to it have been addressed here.

1. If you have been told, by a Doctor, that you are colorblind - Do Not Lie!

2. If you were told, by a Doctor, that you have a color deficiency problem - Do Not Lie!  Let them give you the test and make their judgement!

3. Do Not Lie!  If WannaBeNuke94 is really serious than you'll look at a lot of the posts on this site and find that integrity is the name of the game!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Chimera

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2012, 07:06 »
(laughing to myself) When I started out as an Electronics Technician, we were told we weren't allowed to be color blind because of all the colors used for the wiring in the equipment we were expected to work on.  As a nuke, I couldn't help but notice all the wiring was white.  Color-coded valves were a different story.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2012, 08:00 »
OR
You can take the best advice that I can offer:

If you have an opportunity to attend college, and can afford to attend college ... then, GO TO COLLEGE!!!!!

Yes, there are opportunities to get tuition assistance and GI Bill and yadda, yadda, yadda in the Navy.  But, you WILL be scrubbing floors and bilges among other nasty things for most of your time in blue.

The Navy is NOT as glamorous and adventurous as it is made out to be.  It is first and foremost a job - which is a really good thing in this economy - but it is not a shortcut to a good education.  Get the education now, if you can.  Do it before you get stationed on a sub ported in Diego Garcia.  Do it before you get married, have kids, buy stuff that you will have to pay on for decades, or lose the opportunity for financial aid.  Navy educational aid has no strings attached to it - more like chains.

And, if you find that college isn't working out, or you can't afford it, the Navy is a great option.  Just don't make it your first choice if college is available to you.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

WannaBeNuke94

« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2012, 10:07 »
To Already Gone:

Thanks for the advice, and I understand completely. For whatever reason though, I really DON'T want to go to college at this point. Another four years of schooling does not sound like what I want/need/will be able to handle. Rather go into the Navy, serve my country, make a bit of money, and then see if I want to go to school later. Luckily I'm only 18 so it's not like I'll be especially old after my enlistment anyway.

chimera, can you not go nuke machinist's mate too if you're colorblind? or is it just electronics stuff that I can't do?

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2012, 10:26 »
Integrity is the issue.  As Executive Officer of a Army Nuclear Biological Chemical  training company I discharged a few trainees for not disclosing information.  Better be straight up  with information. Tell  them you were told you had a deficency, but want to take the test and let them determine how deficient and what you would be qualified for.  There are many jobs i would  believe you were qualified for.  Be straight up.   Not as familiar with navy but each specialty should have specific qualififications to  include  color blindness/deficency ask the recruiter what they are. You have a high  ASVAB so you should qualify for most jobs.  Also the  subtests on the ASVAB count, they may need to  look at those.  Good Luck!!!
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2012, 10:30 by thenukeman »

WannaBeNuke94

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2012, 12:10 »
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll be straightforward at MEPS and keep my fingers crossed when it comes time to take the test. But on the subject of integrity, how should I deal with the issue of past drug use? I used marijuana about two years ago, maybe once a weekend for about a year. Probably more than experimental use, but I wasn't a chronic or habitual user by any means. I quit for a year, but I've used it probably 5 or so times this year, the last time being a few months ago. I've quit and I don't hang out with the same kind of people any more, so I won't smoke it in the future and frankly, I don't want to. Never liked the drug anyway. My recruiter told me that I've "only used it five times," in his classic recruiter "I'm not telling you to lie but don't tell the truth" style.  I understand that there's probably no way they can verify anything I tell/don't tell them, but I still don't want to start my Navy career with a bunch of lies. Tough position because I really want to enlist and don't want to do or say anything that would impede that, but lying under oath is a pretty damn bad idea, and I don't want that monkey on my back. Any advice on how I should approach that? Do I need a waiver for any use at all, or just recent use? I really wish I'd never done that shit at all, but try telling that to 15-year-old me...

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2012, 12:18 »
Sadly, some drug use is "normal" these days, and some people wouldn't believe you even if you never tried it! Just tell the truth. And, make sure your drug test is going to be negative.

Now for my anecdote. I've never tried a drug in my life. At the recruiter, MEPS, and boot they were always saying "really? Never? Come on, be honest."

Now in the commercial world it is the same thing. The psychologist that handles operators asks the same questions. Really? Never? Are you lying?

I find it sad that one could stay clean his whole life and be suspect because of it. But that's off topic, it is just something that bugs me. LOL

Justin

PS for one to claim that you never really liked it, you sure did use it a lot. ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2012, 12:20 by Higgs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

WannaBeNuke94

« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2012, 12:26 »
Sadly, some drug use is "normal" these days, and some people.wouldn't believe you even if you never tried it! Just tell the truth. And, make sure your drug test is going to be negative.

Now for my anecdote. I've never tried a drug in my life. At the recruiter, MEPS, and boot they were always saying "really? Never? Come on, be honest."

Now in the commercial world it is the same thing. The psychologist that handles operators asks the same questions. Really? Never? Are you lying?

I find it sad that one could stay clean his whole life and be suspect because of it. But that's off topic, it is just something that bugs me. LOL

Totally agree... drug use is just damn stupid and I think 90% of people who have used it (myself included) wouldn't have if it wasn't considered "normal" at this point. But bravo to you for having never done it. I guess the lesson for me to take here is that the Navy cares about honesty and integrity more than it does about anything else that could disqualify you, so the best bet is to be truthful?

One more question guys, I swear. My recruiter is really pushing for me to DEP while I'm still in high school, he says that if I wait til I get out it'll "hinder my chances" of getting in the Navy. Sounds like some BS to me... why would he say that, and is it true?

And yeah dude, it sounds like bull but I never enjoyed the drug at all. I guess I just got to an unfortunate point where all of my friends used it, so no matter what I was in that environment of drug use and figured "screw it, why not?" If only I had known that it does have real consequences when you want to do something with your life, I never would have touched it, or at least would never have touched it after the first time.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2012, 12:30 by WannaBeNuke94 »

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2012, 08:19 »
Understand this completely before you sign ANYTHING.  Your recruiter is a salesman.  His job, one that he can be fired from in short order if he doesn't meet his quota, is to put you into the Navy - period.  He will tell you anything to get you to sign that paper.  He will sell you what is better for HIM and not necessarily for you, because he doesn't want to have to uproot his wife and family and go back to sea duty in Norfolk any sooner than he absolutely has to.
He will tell you to shade the truth about your colorblindness.  And he will tell you to outright lie about your drug use.
In my day the magic number for marijuana was three times.  If you smoked pot three times, it was no longer considered youthful experimentation.  Your use was not youthful experimentation.  The truth will probably disqualify you from being a nuke.  A lie definitely will.  A drug test can detect one weak-assed joint nearly six months after you smoked it.  Maybe not all the time, but it can happen.

If you don't want to spend the next four years in school, don't be a nuke.  It is nearly two years of one school or another - then training and qualification indefinitely.  Not the same as "school" but school nonetheless.  The 24 year-old you might really want to go to college, and will admit that he really never enjoyed scrubbing warships for a living, and may wish that he had gone to college - but "try telling that to the 18 year-old you".  College is something you can quit if you hate it - and go join the Navy.  You can't drop out of the Navy and get back that opportunity for financial aid at a top school.
Use your head.  The logical order is to try the one you can quit FIRST, and the one you can't second.  And, by the time you decide whether to give up sunlight, women, freedom, food that wasn't frozen before you were born, varied and changeable education, holidays with friends and family ... , for the alternative you will find in the Navy, you will have clean enough urine to do it.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2012, 08:21 by Already Gone »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

WannaBeNuke94

« Reply #10 on: Apr 14, 2012, 09:36 »
Damn... something to think about. Thanks for the reply. I'm not really listening to the recruiter, most of what makes up my decision is reading on sites like this, so thanks for that. Can I ask, when did you join the Navy and would you have rather gone to college?

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Apr 14, 2012, 10:59 »
Im pretty badly color deficient, mostly with greens and blues though.  I got in fine. The "dot test" is the worst, but they will just keep asking you over and over and over and over.... 

You're not color blind if you can see colors.... So don't be spouting off you're color blind. If blues are your only problem, then you should be fine with the color tests. You can't really "Fake" not being color blind/deficient anyway,  but the only person that will see/care is the doctor at meps anyway.

WannaBeNuke94

« Reply #12 on: Apr 14, 2012, 11:10 »
Im pretty badly color deficient, mostly with greens and blues though.  I got in fine. The "dot test" is the worst, but they will just keep asking you over and over and over and over.... 

You're not color blind if you can see colors.... So don't be spouting off you're color blind. If blues are your only problem, then you should be fine with the color tests. You can't really "Fake" not being color blind/deficient anyway,  but the only person that will see/care is the doctor at meps anyway.

Thank you man. what I wanted to hear

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Apr 15, 2012, 05:32 »
Damn... something to think about. Thanks for the reply. I'm not really listening to the recruiter, most of what makes up my decision is reading on sites like this, so thanks for that. Can I ask, when did you join the Navy and would you have rather gone to college?

I joined in June of 1979 and went on active duty a year later.

The second part has two answers.  Both are yes, but for different reasons.  I preferred the idea of college then, but knew I could not afford it.  The discouragement that came with that was reflected in my HS grades also.  Settling for an enlistment was the best option for me at the time -- and I do NOT regret it.
I wish now that I had gone to college because I can see from the vantage point built on top of my age, experience, and greater understanding of the Universe and its ways that I could have done so much more than I have.  Having slugged piecemeal through a college-level education starting with the Navy and continuing for over 30 years, I really wish that I had found a way - any way - to have attended a four-year college right after High School.
These things you learn from life:
You have more ability than you think you do.
School, any school, is easier than anything else you can do that is productive and worthwhile.
An education is worth every cent.
An education is as good as money (better, actually, because you can't lose it on the market, spend it away, or give it away in a divorce settlement)
Like money, it is worth more to have it now than later.
The only reason (and not a bad one necessarily) to enlist in the Navy is that college is simply not available to you, and for most people that is just not the case if they work hard enough for it.

Oh, By the way, I have the exact same color deficiency as you.  Approximately 25% of men have it.
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2012, 05:33 by Already Gone »

WannaBeNuke94

« Reply #14 on: Apr 18, 2012, 10:04 »
Thank you everyone for the replies- especially Already Gone, for the honest answers.

I just remembered one more thing regarding the drug use question: when I first used marijuana, my parents found out about it and sent me to outpatient drug rehab for about two weeks. They determined that I was not addicted, or basically that I didn't have a problem, and recommended that I leave, so I did. The whole thing was so insignificant that I completely forgot about it, and just remembered. Will this complicate any waivers or clearances for joining the nuke program, or will it totally disqualify me?

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #15 on: Apr 18, 2012, 10:34 »
You already answered your own question.

I guess the lesson for me to take here is that the Navy cares about honesty and integrity more than it does about anything else that could disqualify you, so the best bet is to be truthful? 

If you feel you are not ready to go to college and are set to go into the military, do it now!  My youngest son maid that decision in December of his Sr year.  Since he was only 17, it took a lot for his mother to sign the necessary paperwork for permission.  After his enlistment, he was ready, and now successful.  Best of luck!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #16 on: Apr 18, 2012, 10:44 »
Thank you everyone for the replies- especially Already Gone, for the honest answers.

I just remembered one more thing regarding the drug use question: when I first used marijuana, my parents found out about it and sent me to outpatient drug rehab for about two weeks. They determined that I was not addicted, or basically that I didn't have a problem, and recommended that I leave, so I did. The whole thing was so insignificant that I completely forgot about it, and just remembered. Will this complicate any waivers or clearances for joining the nuke program, or will it totally disqualify me?

Your username is appropriate, that is "WannaBe".  You are 18 years old, still in high school, and you want to be a Nuke.  
Well I have news for you, there are a lot of things I wanted to be that never happened, wanting to being a Nuke did.  Even after accepted as a Nuke, I wanted to be on PBR's, or Swifts, heck, I even passed the initial endurance screening for UDT (there were no seals then), I was a Nuke, and all those other options were not paths the Navy would let be volunteer for.  (they did offer subs, to which I said NO)

You have done things in your young life that may preclude you from doing what you want.  

Here is the deal.  You lie and then spend the next few years wondering if that lie will catch up with you and they toss your butt out or send you to First Divison.  You tell the truth, and let the Navy decide.  Same thing goes for having a problem with distinguishing between colors.

Here is the rub.  Unless things have changed sinece I went in, the Navy on looks into these things AFTER you have signed the papers.  Once that is done, they own you lock, stock, and barrel.  They will find a place for you that meets the needs of the service.

If prior drug use precludes you from a getting a security clearance, you are toast.  Deck or supply is in your Navy future, if that is what you want to call it.

If not, there is the 'color blind' issue.  If that keeps you from being a Nuke, kiss off all the other technical ratings as well.  

So here you are at the craps table, you can roll the dice betting 6 years of you life on what will happen after the Navy owns you, or you can go with sure bet, and that is to college.

If you still want to be a Nuke, keep yourself clean of drugs, work hard in school in the appropriate engineering or physics disiplines, and try to get in as an officer.

I will guarantee you this.  After two years in college, you will have a different attitude and many many more options then you would have after two years in the Navy.

Think about it...
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

WannaBeNuke94

« Reply #17 on: Apr 18, 2012, 11:15 »
You already answered your own question.

If you feel you are not ready to go to college and are set to go into the military, do it now!  My youngest son maid that decision in December of his Sr year.  Since he was only 17, it took a lot for his mother to sign the necessary paperwork for permission.  After his enlistment, he was ready, and now successful.  Best of luck!

Thanks for the encouragement! My heart is set on joining the navy, and I hope it works out for the best. I'm gonna do all I can to make it happen.

DLGN, I'll be sure not to sign anything until I know everything I can about my navy future... ultimately I may decide to take a non-Nuke rating if it comes down to that. I'm not sure. Just hope the MEPS people and anyone who handles waivers will understand that despite past mistakes, one of the reasons I want to join the Navy is to be able to do something different and to get off the road I've been on in life which has led me to make those very mistakes.

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #18 on: Apr 18, 2012, 11:45 »
WannaBe,
Many people take paths to escape from the one they are on, or the rut they are in, some even join the Navy. 

For most, it works out.

Having been a Nuke then gone to college at 25, college was easier. 

Good luck to you.
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

Samabby

« Reply #19 on: Apr 19, 2012, 09:36 »
"I just remembered one more thing regarding the drug use question: when I first used marijuana, my parents found out about it and sent me to outpatient drug rehab for about two weeks"

This is a major event, certainly well documented, that happened within the past several years and you " just remembered" to add it to this discussion?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #20 on: Apr 19, 2012, 10:04 »
This is a major event, certainly well documented, that happened within the past several years and you " just remembered" to add it to this discussion?

"Fleet Needs More A-Gang!!"   ;)

Offline Rod Puller

• Light User
« Reply #21 on: Apr 19, 2012, 10:25 »
Wow.  I thought I was the only person that had experienced this.  While my background isn't exactly the same, my story is similar.  I had smoked marijuana a couple of times before joining the Navy.  My sister caught me using it one of those times and told my step-mom who promptly "enrolled" (not sure of the verb to use here) me in outpatient drug counseling.  I went to three sessions and was "disenrolled" when the counselor determined that I was in no way addicted and had no issues.  I have never used any drugs since.  The hangup came a little later when my father encouraged me to enlist in the Navy.  I disclosed all of my past transgressions to my recruiter who advised me to omit the drug use from my MEPS station interviews.  Needless to say they found out since there was a well documented paper trail from the counseling sessions.  I had never been more scared in my life when I had to go back to the MEPS station.  They threatened me with federal prison and various other things for lying to the military.  I came clean with my history, they made some phone calls, and I waited for some waivers to be processed.  Within a week I was approved for the Navy Nuclear program.  Other than soiling myself, there were no other explicit repercussions.

That being said, I would STRONGLY advice against being anything other than forthright in your dealings with the military (or really anyone else for that matter).  I never, ever should have listened to my recruiter in this regard and I regret it to this day.  In the end it was my decision to lie about my history and I'm still ashamed and embarrassed by my actions.  The tangible repercussions of poor decisions aren't always a measuring stick for failure or success.  If I had been honest from the get go then the outcome would have been the same minus this blemish on my integrity (a huge blackmark in the NNPP).  I wish I could go back and change this.  It's a horrible precedent to establish for someone transitioning into a sailor and an adult.

WannaBeNuke94

« Reply #22 on: Apr 19, 2012, 02:27 »
Rod Puller, wow. Our stories do sound very similar - hopefully they end the same way as well! I'll be sure to be forthcoming at MEPS.

And yeah, I'm embarrassed I forgot about this, but it really was a fairly minor event I haven't thought about it since until now. Just glad I remembered in time...

Offline amelia32123

• Lurker
« Reply #23 on: Apr 29, 2012, 09:42 »

Now, I'm not really color "blind" per se. I believe "color deficient" is the description. Basically, I tend to assume that extremely dark blues are black and that light pink is white, although if I look at things in a "what color is this" mindset instead of just... well looking at it and not trying to determine the color, I can pick up the color on the first try. It's really not a big deal. I told all of this to the recruiter and he told me "well, I'm not telling you to lie, but if you really want to be a nuke, you're not colorblind," blah blah blah.

Now I'm pretty confident that I can pass the test they give me (as long as it isn't the dots that make up a number test), so I'm tempted based on what my recruiter told me to not say I'm colorblind at all. However, I don't want to lie about some dumb s**t like colorblindness and get totally denied by the Navy. At the same time, I really want to be a Nuke and don't want to do anything to jeopardize that.

I don't mean to go on and on, so my questions are: Should I not mention being colorblind at all before taking the test, as my recruiter suggested? And when I do take the test, what is it like? And finally, worst case scenario, if I do fail the test, is it ever waiverable?

Thanks so much guys, real excited to be a sailor and possibly even a nuke!

I didnt know i was colorblind until i got to MEPS and failed the test... miserably.. they just stamped a FAIL on my paperwork and like an hour later and they made me take a different test. It was basically a little box with three lights that were green white and red. i just had to say the colors in order. i got all of them 100% and they passed me and i swore in and got my contract. it wasnt a big deal.
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2012, 09:43 by amelia32123 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?