Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Can I get a job with an anxiety disorder? honeypot

Author Topic: Can I get a job with an anxiety disorder?  (Read 15663 times)

Offline uGaFan4Life

• Very Lite User
Can I get a job with an anxiety disorder?
« on: Apr 22, 2012, 11:09 »
I was released from my naval nuclear contract due to an anxiety disorder. What are my chances of getting in with a civilian plant? I have no problems with anxiety while on my medication (zoloft). Does anyone here know anyone who has worked in the nuclear field while on medication like that?

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: Can I get a job with an anxiety disorder?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2012, 08:45 »
Zoloft, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Prozac, ... the list goes on.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2012, 07:57 »
The old rule of thumb was; if a licensed physician prescribed the medication, you could take it.  This is an aspect of you life with which you should be up front with the utility during the application process.
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2012, 09:54 »
How far did you make it prior the medical issue?

Offline uGaFan4Life

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2012, 09:43 »
I made it through Nuclear Machinist School, Nuclear Power School ,and about half way through the Prototype training. It was a lot of very hard work to let go to waste. I recently enrolled into a program at a local college to get an associates degree in nuclear power engineering technology to kinda help me get a job in the field, but now I have been told (by the program director at the college) that I may be wasting time with the degree program and that i could probably already get into a training program at a nuke plant due to my Navy background. Does anyone else have any opinions/feedback on that? I dont want to waste time if I could be making money instead of spending it on classes.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2012, 09:49 »
I made it through Nuclear Machinist School, Nuclear Power School ,and about half way through the Prototype training. It was a lot of very hard work to let go to waste. I recently enrolled into a program at a local college to get an associates degree in nuclear power engineering technology to kinda help me get a job in the field, but now I have been told (by the program director at the college) that I may be wasting time with the degree program and that i could probably already get into a training program at a nuke plant due to my Navy background. Does anyone else have any opinions/feedback on that? I dont want to waste time if I could be making money instead of spending it on classes.

Yes,...

I don't see how you're decision dilemma is an anxiety disorder,...

Go here and start reading,....

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,15504.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,15906.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,22905.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,26407.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,26988.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,23659.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,15998.0.html

there are many more, these should get you started,... [coffee]

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2012, 11:09 »

Bad advice, right now Commercial facilities are turning away guys who are infinitely more qualified than you. You have zero nuclear background and no degree of any type. Your resume would screen not qualified at most facilities. The associates degree will help. Put it this way, you are competing with degreed engineers and individuals who on the average have 8 to 12 years of qualified watchstanding, many as an EWS or EOOW. Exactly where do you fit in with a group like that?

drayer54

« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2012, 11:30 »
Your college program should be working with some of the local utilities for job placement. My plant hires some people from those programs, primarily in the hp field. I would wager that you could get in somewhere with that training program and limited navy background. I would complete the training program before applying though.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Apr 25, 2012, 12:09 »
Zoloft, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Prozac, ... the list goes on.

Can a person get a job inside the PA fence while prescribed, yes. Will said person be initial hired for a position performing "Safety-affecting" (ADA context) work requiring an NRC license? Doubtful, as that most employers on a pre-hire physical can cite the "direct threat" clause in the ADA (skipped med causing Discontinuation Syndrome, plus the "caution while operating machinery" ) and/or MRO disapproval.

Offline uGaFan4Life

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: Apr 25, 2012, 12:21 »
Ok that's more or less what I was thinking. I was never a "qualified watchstander" so my Navy background counts for little more than an understanding of how stuff works and maybe a few college credits. Practical application and work experience are very lacking in my resume. I'll probably go ahead and stick with the degree program so that I can gain a little more leverage when applying. That really seems like my best bet.
I appreciate the advice, guys.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Apr 25, 2012, 12:35 »
Getting through power school is a good thing in your case, but you will most likely have to explain exactly what happened.  You're DEFINITELY NOT wasting your time getting a degree. It would make you more valuable in the long run anyway, for SRO progression.

Offline uGaFan4Life

• Very Lite User
« Reply #11 on: Apr 25, 2012, 12:44 »
Ok. I imagine that once i finish the degree program and start applying to facilities/plants then thats when my Navy background would push me ahead of some other applicants with the same type of degree.

Fermi2

« Reply #12 on: Apr 25, 2012, 01:30 »
No, you HAVE no Navy Background. You haven't qualified anything. Keep in mind the guys reviewing your resume KNOW that....

Offline uGaFan4Life

• Very Lite User
« Reply #13 on: Apr 25, 2012, 01:57 »
No, you HAVE no Navy Background. You haven't qualified anything. Keep in mind the guys reviewing your resume KNOW that....

Notice I didnt say NUCLEAR Navy background. For what it's worth i AM a veteran and I did graduate Machinist and Nuclear Power School. (no small accomplishment) That is NOT worthless.

Fermi2

« Reply #14 on: Apr 25, 2012, 02:23 »
Do you think Commercial Operators view it as anything but a small accomplishment? What you learned is maybe 6 days of a commercial course.

Odds are with your background you wouldn't get an interview as you'd be competing with roughly 600 people WHO ACTUALLY did accomplish something. Just trying to set your expectations right.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #15 on: Apr 25, 2012, 02:31 »
Most utilities would prefer you to develop your anxiety disorder while working for them, not have it when you sign up.

:D
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #16 on: Apr 25, 2012, 07:53 »
Find some plants in area's that you like and apply while you are going to school.  maybe you will not get an interview..... But just maybe you will.  That expereriance would help the next time.... If it is you goal drive for it.  Other than not getting an interview or offer what is the best thing that could happen.....

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Apr 26, 2012, 01:05 »
Allow me to be blunt. My resume isn't stellar, but its a lot prettier then yours...

Finish your schooling....  that's what I'm doing.

IPREGEN

« Reply #18 on: Apr 27, 2012, 07:28 »
I do know people taking prescribed drugs that you describe. Any entry to a station would be reviewed after taking the MMPI and drugs use evaluated by the medical review officer.

You may be able to get a job, you have training but no experience. Decon may be your way to start, you do not have the experience to have an ANSI rating.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?