Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Advice for a colorblind individual

Author Topic: Advice for a colorblind individual  (Read 20361 times)

Offline cygnus

• Lurker
Advice for a colorblind individual
« on: Apr 25, 2012, 05:06 »
First off, I would like to thank the members of this board for all their service and advice; Especially yota, who gave me hope that I could get an age waiver, and I'd particularly like to thank the search function box.

Well anyways, two days ago I went into MEPS. Autoqualified for the Nuke field (IIRC 272 in the nuke line scores without NAPT... although I am a college drop out and I may need to take the NAPT anyways because its been over 2 years since I took a math class), passed all the physical exams until I got to the vision station where I discoverd I'm colorblind. Retested on the FALANT... another FAIL. One of the technicials mumbled something about me being able to get a retest but I am not entirely certain.

I did not realise I was colorblind, nor did I know anything about colorblindness so after scouring the internet, I learned its not cureable. However, I learned that there are specialty glasses/contacts available that will help you pass an Ishihara Plate test... but I've also read an account that they will not let you wear them for your bootcamp exam.

Does anyone know anything about this first hand? I called a Dr. in Maryland who specializes in this and he said he 100% gaurantees it will pass the Ishihara plate test, and has helped countless people in law enforcement/military/engineering pass their test... but it's NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!

A lot of my backup jobs require normal color perception, does anyone have some advice for alternative rates?

Thank you for your time.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
Re: Advice for a colorblind individual
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2012, 12:44 »
Color blind or color deficient? one is waiverable, the other is not.
I probably took those damn color tests about 4000 times in a row before I probably just ended up guessing right.

I've never been able to do those dot tests either, wonder why they wont let you retake it.

For example, apparently these all have numbers associated with them, but the only one I can see is the 16 on the top left one. rest is gobbledegook to me.

As far as the lenses, its better to not "Cheat the system". Certain colors are vital to your job, especially as a mechanic.Also spending 9000$ isnt very prudent lol

BTW, your dilema has been discussed more then a couple times, do a search and get some better answers for yourself.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2012, 12:52 »
16 57 6
29 42 7
10 2 5
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2012, 12:55 »
16 57 6
29 42 7
10 2 5

what about this one?

Thats crazy, I literally see nothing besides that 16 lol.

Offline ErrantVenture11

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2012, 01:58 »
Best reply EVER is awarded to Starkist.  [clap]

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2012, 07:34 »
16 57 6
29 42 7
10 2 5

that is too weird, I can only see the 16, yet I can look out the window and see all the colors of the world,...

imagine what the world would look like if I could see what you see,...

hmmmmmmmm,.... [coffee]

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2012, 08:35 »
Damn... I can't even see the picture. All I see is a little red X in the upper left corner. I must be blind as a bat!
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2012, 11:18 »
that is too weird, I can only see the 16, yet I can look out the window and see all the colors of the world,...

imagine what the world would look like if I could see what you see,...

This may be less creepy?

... then again, probably not :p

Offline cygnus

• Lurker
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 02:43 »
:P
Okay okay, very funny guys! Although I am growing tired of all my friends asking me which color this is and that is, after telling them of my new found "disability."

I am utilizing the search function but there a lot of mixed results, as everyone's situation is different. In any case, if anyone has first hand experience on the issue and can offer advice, it will be most welcome.

And please excuse my previous ignorance, I mean to say that I am "Color-Deficient" and not color-blind, as I can see colors just fine. I just can't pass that %*#& plate test.

(For reference to any one searching for this in the future, the plate test mostly measures color deficiency by using confusion lines. Just because you fail the plate test does not mean you are colorblind, and that is why they have you do the Farnsworth Lantern (FALANT) test as well... Although they pass the lights through a filter so it will also mess with people who have color deficiency/blindness)

After I failed my FALANT, but otherwise passed everything else at MEPS, my recruiter scheduled me to take the DLAB so I can try to get into the Cypto-Linguist rating... but damn it I don't want to give up hope on the nuke field. I just took my DLAB and am awaiting its results, but I'm not confident I passed (I belong in a field with Math and Science!!!)

After giving up hope, I regained it after read this post.
I failed many, many, many, many times on those color tests. with the lantern test, I literally went through it until i happened to guess right
They almost de nuked me because Im color deficient and cant pass the color-dot test. Had to fight, kick, and scream to get in. Still had issues after getting in. Hopefully everything goes smoother for you then myself! Good luck!
My recruiter seems bent on giving me some other rating. How would I go about getting a waiver or a retest? Talk to a different recrutier? Contact my MEPS station? I am not above kicking/screaming in order to get this job :P

On my Plate test I got 13/14 wrong... and the first plate is a gimme. But on the FALANT, I missed an average of 5 out of however many total. Does anyone know what a passing score is on the FALANT test?
Actually it was pretty funny at MEPS, the guy giving me the FALANT was telling me the right answers for the ones I got wrong, so when I did the test again for the second and third times, I got some wrong that I had correct originally because I second guessed myself with all the answers he was giving me  >:( It was like he was rooting for me to pass.

In regards to corrective eyewear I will answer the question for any future searchers:
I WOULD ADVISE ANYONE NOT TO PAY FOR COLORBLIND CORRECTIVE CONTACTS/GLASSES. Technically at MEPS, they have to let you use glasses (cb corrective or otherwise) during the colorblind test because then you would have to get a waiver for any prescription glass wearers. However at Bootcamp, they only let you wear Navy issued glasses, at which point you will be screwed (reclassified or medical DQ).

So my only option left is getting a waiver. Again, there are some conflicting posts on the subject.
These posts say it is waiverable
I am color blind. I got a waiver for "color deficiency" since I can see red.

Exactly, Color deficient is waiverable....a diagnosis of "Colorblind"....is an automatic disqualifier... I just dont want there to be any confusion by someone reading this later on.

I fail that test most of the time too.  About 25% of men have trouble telling the red dots among the green ones.  I think there is a waiver for this as long as you are not totally color blind (which is extremely rare).

While this individual says otherwise
Well, there is no waiver for color deficiency in the nuke program. I verified it with the Recruiters H.Q. in Tennessee.
Now my recruiter tells me to sign as a corpsman, go through boot camp and when I am assign to a ship, I will take another color test there with non-military-issue color corrective glasses, pass and be reassigned to nuke.

He also posts:
"(2) Defective color vision........... Testing will be conducted with the Farnsworth Lantern (FALANT). Waiver will be considered for submarine qualified personnel who can demonstrate a functional ability to discern color associated with their work environment;"

Is this true? I have mild color deficiency. Is waiver available?
I was planning on volunteering for SUB duty. I always wanted to be an astronaut when I was a kid, and submarines seemed like the next best thing. Anyone know anything about this?

I apologize if this is too long, but I wanted to include as much as possible for anyone doing future searches.
Here are my main questions for the TL:DR crowd

How many are you allowed to miss on the FALANT and still pass? (if someone says 4 im going to lose my mind)
How would I go about asking for a waiver for color deficiency with an unknowledgeable recruiter?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 02:46 by cygnus »

Offline DadofMM-ELT

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 09:37 »
1. 2,4, and 5 year old posts are irrelevant to your situation. In any case if you read carefully, those posts are not inconsistent - note the wide range of dates - because waiver standards can change.

2. The important word in the submarine post is "qualified". In this case I suspect it means you've already got your dolphins.

3. If your recruiter is not responsive to your situation, get another recruiter. Son of DadofFutureNuke had a sufficiently bad experience that he ended up contacting the officer in charge of our recruiting region. This resulted in not only an honest recruiter but some "special training" for the office where the first one worked.  ;)

But none of that means anything because:

4.  To pass the FALANT you must either: 1) Get the first 9 correct, or 2) miss an average of 1 or fewer on the three passes (i.e. no more than 3 missed total). If you miss an average 1.5 you can take it again after a 5 minute rest. Google "scoring the falant" for more.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 09:53 by DadofFutureNuke »

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 03:29 »
I am "cycoticpenguin".

Unless regs changed in the past few years, color deficient is still waiverable. I sucked at the light test too, but thats how they got me in.

Worse comes to worst, you shouldn't join the military for a job you dont want to do. It's "bad enough" to get one you want. I'll second the "get a different recruiter" bit too.

CATCH22

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 11:28 »
   My son went to the doctor in Maryland and got contact lens. He passed the test 100%. At the time the cost was about $6500. He is now an Austin, Texas police officer. After passing the test he has never worn the contact lens again.
   The legal dept. was contacted before he was allowed to take the test and they decided that they would have to allow this if they allowed other contact lens.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?