Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Medical Waiver for Entrance into NUPOC - I could really, really use some help. honeypot

Author Topic: Medical Waiver for Entrance into NUPOC - I could really, really use some help.  (Read 4479 times)

Offline jhoff1991

• Lurker
I signed up for this forum because I am really interested in the NUPOC program (and apparently very much qualified for it). Unfortunately, I may not be medically eligible, and I am looking for someone who could tell me whether or not that is the case. Is there someone who is up to date on what the Navy's medical authority will or will not waiver? If you guys don't know, could you refer me to anyone with the Navy that might?

I have spoken with a recruiter who is trying to help, but he is not sure about my situation; he did, however, tell me that I am a very strong candidate for the program. I just finished the junior year of my BS in chemical engineering with my GPA at roughly 3.9, and I have no criminal record. My problem is my medical issue: I am as blind as a bat. My refractive error is -9.5 in one eye and -10.25 in the other. I found out that I was outside the waiver limits when I tried to sign up for AFROTC.

In theory, my eye sight should not be a problem. It has been totally correctable with glasses or contacts for about ten years, and soon I won't even need those. I met with one of the most recommended surgeons in the Kansas City area. He told me that I am too near-sighted for LASIK or PRK but that my eyes are otherwise in perfect health - that makes me an ideal candidate for this new operation called a Phakic IOL (an artificial lens implanted over your natural lens), which should bring me down to 20/20 vision. The procedure is really popular with the army; thousands of them have been done with a success rate of like ninety-nine percent. Unfortunately, the Navy is more like the Air Force. They have more applications than there are jobs available, so they are picky about medical criteria. I just need to know how picky. Can someone help?

Offline gsamelon

• Light User
I dunno, but I knew some pretty blind people in NUPOC and it seemed like as long as it was correctable to 20/20 it was ok.

Offline gsamelon

• Light User
Ok - try this link http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/noru/orojt3/generalofficer.htm#15

20/20 Correctable is what it says for NUPOC - both surface and subs.  That is what I remembered as well.  Good Luck!

Offline jhoff1991

• Lurker
Ok - try this link http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/noru/orojt3/generalofficer.htm#15

20/20 Correctable is what it says for NUPOC - both surface and subs.  That is what I remembered as well.  Good Luck!

I looked over that page, and it is not too encouraging. If LASIK and PRK are the only surgeries which they will waiver, then I am out of luck with this new procedure. It does not mention anything about a maximum refractive error, but every other place I have looked seems to think it is -10.00 for each eye. So, I am pretty well sunk. The one thing I noticed is that, for reactor engineering, it does not mention medical standards. That sounds like an amazing job, but it is supposedly impossible to get (even for an honors student).

What I really wish is that I could actually meet with someone from the Navy's medical authority. If I could talk with them and get them to bend a little, I am sure I could prove myself a perfectly suitable candidate for the program.

Oh well, if there is anything else that someone can add to this, I would be happy to get some more information.

Offline gsamelon

• Light User
It isn't impossible to get.  I have a good friend that I went to College with that went that route.  You can only get it though if you apply.

Fermi2

I looked over that page, and it is not too encouraging. If LASIK and PRK are the only surgeries which they will waiver, then I am out of luck with this new procedure. It does not mention anything about a maximum refractive error, but every other place I have looked seems to think it is -10.00 for each eye. So, I am pretty well sunk. The one thing I noticed is that, for reactor engineering, it does not mention medical standards. That sounds like an amazing job, but it is supposedly impossible to get (even for an honors student).

What I really wish is that I could actually meet with someone from the Navy's medical authority. If I could talk with them and get them to bend a little, I am sure I could prove myself a perfectly suitable candidate for the program.

Oh well, if there is anything else that someone can add to this, I would be happy to get some more information.

LOL if you think you're going to get the Navy to bend when they have lots of qualified candidates you are nowhere near as bright as you think your grades make you to be.

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
There was a time when you needed to have uncorrected 20/20 vision to get on submarines.  That changed around 1969-1970 when the Navy could not get enough nukes to man the boats.

As others have said, your chances of getting a medical waiver when so many are applying for the program, are not good.  Whatever you do, do not sign any contract until you have it in writing that your vision problem has been officially waived, otherwise you will be washed out of the program before you leave basic or OCS.

As for other programs that do not have vision standards, you will not know if you qualify until you try.  If you do not try, then perhaps another field of work is better suited for you.
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?