Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How do I get from a shipyard to rent-a-tech?

Author Topic: How do I get from a shipyard to rent-a-tech?  (Read 7763 times)

Offline Newbie_Nuke

• Lurker
How do I get from a shipyard to rent-a-tech?
« on: May 29, 2012, 09:19 »
Brand new to this forum, I'm an RCT finishing school now to get my qualification. I work for Newport News shipbuilding, and all the RCTs there are grossly underpaid, and to me, rent-a-tech seems like the way to go. It seems to me like a lot of the outage work is pretty involved stuff that requires quite a bit of knowledge of the industry, I.E. not something a freshly qualified tech could do. How exactly should I go about the process of trying to make the transfer from being a shipyard tech to working for a company like Bartlett?

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
Re: How do I get from a shipyard to rent-a-tech?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2012, 10:06 »
Did you go through the NAV-SEA 108 course?

I started there 23 years ago. Staying put for a couple of years will save you a bunch of time trying to find junior jobs. Leave when you have enough experience for an ANSI Qualification and then hit the road. Shipyards have always expected that you live in poverty and Newport News probably has the worst reputation for that. If you leave as a junior, you may likely end up taking Decon work to fill in the gaps. Utilities want ANSI 3.1 technicians, in a couple of years that is what you'll be. There are great opportunities out there and you are in a place to get your time in quickly. Maybe a degree while your doing time would be a nice addition?
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2012, 10:18 »
How exactly should I go about the process of trying to make the transfer from being a shipyard tech to working for a company like Bartlett?

Calling a company like Bartlett would be a great way to go about the process.  800-225-0385

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2012, 01:16 »
Staying put for a couple of years will save you a bunch of time trying to find junior jobs. Leave when you have enough experience for an ANSI Qualification and then hit the road. ...If you leave as a junior, you may likely end up taking Decon work to fill in the gaps. Utilities want ANSI 3.1 technicians, in a couple of years that is what you'll be. There are great opportunities out there and you are in a place to get your time in quickly. Maybe a degree while your doing time would be a nice addition?

!!!  :)
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2012, 01:17 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline radcoon

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 08, 2012, 09:39 »
I am also an RCT from Newport News shipbuilding (Can someone say Enterprise??) who is almost finished with my NAVSEA 108 qualification, and I was wondering if moving to a new employer would be easier as an Engineer rather than as a tech?? I have a degree in math and physics and I could easily work on taking the classes needed to finish a second degree in engineering while I am putting in the experience for the ANSI 3.1 . I was curious about how different the competition for the engineering jobs is from the snowball chance it sounds like unknown jr. Techs have.

Due to family reasons I probably won't be leaving the Hampton Roads area anytime soon, but I like to keep my options open and consider some alternate plans.
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2012, 09:52 by radcoon »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2012, 02:13 »
I am also an RCT from Newport News shipbuilding (Can someone say Enterprise??) who is almost finished with my NAVSEA 108 qualification, and I was wondering if moving to a new employer would be easier as an Engineer rather than as a tech?? I have a degree in math and physics and I could easily work on taking the classes needed to finish a second degree in engineering while I am putting in the experience for the ANSI 3.1 . I was curious about how different the competition for the engineering jobs is from the snowball chance it sounds like unknown jr. Techs have.

Due to family reasons I probably won't be leaving the Hampton Roads area anytime soon, but I like to keep my options open and consider some alternate plans.

Absolutely finish your engineering degree, if you have the chance.  RadCon is a very narrow field with a VERY cyclical hiring history.  You will have a ton more options with any kind of engineering degree.

Good luck!  :)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

ArthurRyan

« Reply #6 on: Jun 10, 2012, 09:22 »
Radcoon--
A degree in Math and Physics should be enough... I would think.  Not to get off topic but, wouldn't a degree in Physics be equally impressive as a Degree in Engineering?  I would focus more on your experience.  You then can  be an individual with a Math and Physics degree with x amount of years experience.         
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2012, 09:43 by ArthurRyan »

Offline radcoon

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Jun 16, 2012, 10:20 »
   UncaBuffalo--- I completely agree that I will have a ton more options with an Engineering degree. I was trying to aim the question towards what kind of Engineers are most desired and needed in the Nuclear energy world (Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, etc.). I like the job prospects of the energy industry and would like to stay there, and I see nuclear power as a big part of the picture for the future.

BUT... to keep this on topic, What are the things we should focus on here at the Shipyard that will help us if we ever want to try and move to the commercial world? Are there any differences between the way the jobs are done that we could learn during our 2 years of 3.1 experience.

ArthurRyan---

I would tend to agree with you that Physics SHOULD be as impressive as Engineering, but its not from an ABET (http://www.abet.org/) accredited school, and since its not "Engineering," I think the resume gets tossed out early in the process a lot of the time. Plus I know I can add more school to my schedule during the time I'm not working but unless the years of working are based on hours worked, I can't add that  :P

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?