Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Shipping out soon, Medical questions honeypot

Author Topic: Shipping out soon, Medical questions  (Read 5920 times)

Offline fischin

• Very Lite User
Shipping out soon, Medical questions
« on: Jun 04, 2012, 12:53 »
I'm set to ship out of San Jose MEPS on June 12, and I am very excited to start my career in the Navy. When I went through MEPS last august, my acne was terrible, (sever on my neck and cheeks and forehead, moderate on my back), And the doctors at MEPS told me I should consider clearing my acne some before I leave. The doctors gave me some tips about acne, and suggested that the most likely cause of my acne was probably all the sunscreen I was wearing during the summer time, (I was a lifeguard, spent 12 hours a day in the sun), and the doctor said I should continue to use sunscreen because I'm better off with acne rather then skin cancer.
Today my acne has improved. Its almost non existent on my neck and forehead, and it is very mild on my cheeks and back. But there is some redness and scarring left from the acne that was there. I did ask my dermatologist about it, and she said I don't have Eczema, and she didn't think my acne was sever enough for acutane, she just suggested some over the counter stuff, which has been working decently.
Should I be concerned about whats going to happen at meps? is there a possibility they won't let me be a nuke because of my acne? any advice helps!

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
Re: Shipping out soon, Medical questions
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2012, 06:40 »
Should I be concerned about whats going to happen at meps?

No.

To elaborate, they don't care about your acne.

To elaborate some more, you're just freaking out. Try not to worry about things that are out of your control (which will be pretty much everything) and just sit back and enjoy the ride. That's the best advice I've got for bootcamp.

Offline fischin

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2012, 03:30 »
Thanks for the advice. Probably should just stop worrying.

Offline Dstealth

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2012, 12:12 »
I am not trying to worry you with this post.  This is just something that I dug up on the internet after doing some research...  Therefore; if she said she didn't think it was sever enough for acutane then you are probably fine.  However; that is the regulation below.  From how you are describing it I do not believe that it would interfere with you wearing proper military equipment so you should be fine. 

Best of luck to you...

AR 40-501
Chapter 2
Physical Standards for Enlistment, Appointment, and Induction

2-28. Skin and cellular tissues

a. Current diseases of sebaceous glands to include severe acne (706.1), if extensive involvement of the neck, shoulders, chest, or back is present or would be aggravated by or interfere with the proper wearing of military equipment, are disqualifying. Applicants under treatment with systemic retinoids, including, but not limited to isotretinoin (Accutane(r)) are disqualified until 8 (eight) weeks after completion of therapy.

Offline fischin

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2012, 02:25 »

AR 40-501
Chapter 2
Physical Standards for Enlistment, Appointment, and Induction

2-28. Skin and cellular tissues

I actually came across this article too. The doctors at MEPS didn't seem too concerned about it, they let me join so it must have not been that bad in their opinion. They just told me to clear it up before I ship out.

Offline taf90

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2012, 05:38 »
I had the exact same problem when I went to MEPS in July. I still had the acne when I reported in February... They gave me a talking to, and then let me go without a problem. They really don't care about acne.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?