Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu North Carolina Networking  

Author Topic: North Carolina Networking  (Read 10387 times)

Offline mikemarchetto

• Lurker
North Carolina Networking
« on: Jun 13, 2012, 08:32 »
Hello NukeWorker Community!

My name is Mike, after a wonderful 8 year run in the Navy, I am about to exit. I'm very excited. On top of that, I have nearly completed my NET degree from Excelsior. I'm Looking to graduate in October. Like this forum category suggests, I am looking for some help getting started in the industry. I know the easiest way to get a job is to be as flexible as possible. Unfortunately, I am not and I am specifically looking for a job in the triangle area of NC. Shearon Harris for example. I've been watching the Progress career website now for a while and haven't seen a single job for me come up. Any one reading this work there or have any good connections? I figured a little networking never hurt.

Thanks so much for your help.
-Mike

http://about.me/mikemarchetto

Fermi2

Re: North Carolina Networking
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2012, 08:49 »
Connections don't work son.

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2012, 08:50 »
Mike,

I transitioned recently and have been on the job hunt myself. I personally haven't seen much in North Carolina recently, but SCANA down near Columbia, S.C. has a posting for NLOs for the V.C Summer plant. I'd definitely inquire with them if I were you. They are slated to bring on two new reactors in the next few years (AP1000 PWR) and they have their currently-comissioned plant as well.

Of course, that's if you're looking to get into operations.

The link to the job posting is here:

http://www.nukeworker.com/job/view.php?job_id=20089&type=search&auth_sess=b9fherj6i5219a610q4h3tmjv0&ref=1ac33fca817072c3bdd89f52d

Emailing your resume and cover letter to him would be your first step, but again, only if you're looking to get into OPS down in SC.

Good luck on your transition out, and thanks for your service!

P.S. MAKE SURE YOU GO TO TAPS. Definitely pay attention to the day on resume writing. Also, look on these forums for tips and tricks with the resume writing process.

Offline mikemarchetto

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2012, 09:03 »
Mike,

I transitioned recently and have been on the job hunt myself. I personally haven't seen much in North Carolina recently, but SCANA down near Columbia, S.C. has a posting for NLOs for the V.C Summer plant. I'd definitely inquire with them if I were you. They are slated to bring on two new reactors in the next few years (AP1000 PWR) and they have their currently-comissioned plant as well.

Of course, that's if you're looking to get into operations.

The link to the job posting is here:

http://www.nukeworker.com/job/view.php?job_id=20089&type=search&auth_sess=b9fherj6i5219a610q4h3tmjv0&ref=1ac33fca817072c3bdd89f52d

Emailing your resume and cover letter to him would be your first step, but again, only if you're looking to get into OPS down in SC.

Good luck on your transition out, and thanks for your service!

P.S. MAKE SURE YOU GO TO TAPS. Definitely pay attention to the day on resume writing. Also, look on these forums for tips and tricks with the resume writing process.

Thanks for the advice!

That's kind of a negative outlook. They might not work all the time, but they definitely have worked for many.

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2012, 09:09 »
That isn't a negative outlook janitor and trust me they don't work in today's day and age.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Jun 13, 2012, 09:10 »

Quote from: mikemarchetto link=topic=34902.msg163243#msg163243
That's kind of a negative outlook. They might not work all the time, but they definitely have worked for many.

Earth to Gen. Y:  Guess who has read more resumes than you'll ever write? Guess who has been exposed to neutron flux longer than you've been breathing air? He may not be Spongebob, but he has plenty to teach ya.
« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2012, 09:11 by HydroDave63 »

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Jun 13, 2012, 09:12 »
LOL thanks Dave. These snowflakes kill me.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #7 on: Jun 13, 2012, 09:13 »
Did ya get that FERC webcast thing I sent to ya?

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Jun 13, 2012, 09:15 »
Yes I did. I'll check it out I hope. I'm on Jury Duty this week and 9 to 5 in a jury box is HORRIBLE. But Jury duty is dang fun!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #9 on: Jun 13, 2012, 09:19 »
Yes I did. I'll check it out I hope. I'm on Jury Duty this week and 9 to 5 in a jury box is HORRIBLE. But Jury duty is dang fun!

Somehow I just can't picture you judging someone and voting them guilty.  :P

Then again, hanging out with 11 other jurors gives you a chance to "network" with them and bend them to your iron will (okay, maybe Co-58, but still)

On-topic: Can the OP move if there are openings at Southern, Entergy or Exelon? That's where the recent hiring seems to have been.
« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2012, 09:22 by HydroDave63 »

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Jun 13, 2012, 09:22 »
:( Tuesday they were picking juries for a criminal trial. I was SO hoping. Instead today I was in the 3rd panel interviewed in a civil suit. In fact I was the last juror picked. I had to be honest, the plaintiff lawyer said I was the first Senior Reactor Operator he'd ever interviewed for a jury. He asked what it was like actually starting up and shutting down a reactor. Given I was under oath I had to be honest. I said hell I don't know, I just tell people to do it then stand behind them telling them how I'd do it differently.

drayer54

« Reply #11 on: Jun 13, 2012, 09:34 »
Hello NukeWorker Community!

My name is Mike, after a wonderful 8 year run in the Navy, I am about to exit. I'm very excited. On top of that, I have nearly completed my NET degree from Excelsior. I'm Looking to graduate in October. Like this forum category suggests, I am looking for some help getting started in the industry. I know the easiest way to get a job is to be as flexible as possible. Unfortunately, I am not and I am specifically looking for a job in the triangle area of NC. Shearon Harris for example. I've been watching the Progress career website now for a while and haven't seen a single job for me come up. Any one reading this work there or have any good connections? I figured a little networking never hurt.

Thanks so much for your help.
-Mike

http://about.me/mikemarchetto
Your resume could be improved by taking some advice from this thread:
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,34823.msg163195/topicseen.html#new

The company you want gave me this exact interview:
Emphasize how much you really want the job, and how you believe your past experience can help them. In other words do your best to turn the interview into something about your unique talents.

As for finding out how to contact them. Ask. Find exactly when they'll make the decision. Ask them if you can have a point of contact.

Targetted selection is basically a bank of questions based on how you can help them and how you handle yourself.

1: Give three examples of how you improved a team?

2: Tell me about a bad team you once were on, and what you did to attempt to improve it?

3: How you improved or would improve a good team?

4: What are your weaknesses? And what are you doing about them?

5: What are your strengths? How are you improving them? How are you spreading your strengths to others?

6: Would you consider getting a mentor to help you?

7: You've been given a job with a fellow employee. You're to do it together but he's slacking. You are not his supervisor. What do you do?

8: How often do you assess yourself?

9: What do you do with this assessment?

Mike
Although generally abrasive and to the point, he helped me with this post. I read it the night before my interview and I ended up getting an offer.

Networking is easy on linked in. Recruiters use linked in. Connect those dots accordingly. Many people here are quite helpful and although they may not line up a job for you, they can offer great advice, help you prepare, understand the job you are applying for, and in some cases line up great opportunities.

I PM'd you some more good stuff and congrats on finally escaping those right coasters!

Fermi2

« Reply #12 on: Jun 13, 2012, 09:38 »
Whoa seriously they did? If I helped you even 1% I am happy and honored to have helped a fellow sailor.

drayer54

« Reply #13 on: Jun 13, 2012, 09:43 »
Whoa seriously they did? If I helped you even 1% I am happy and honored to have helped a fellow sailor.

It was as if they pulled the questions in order off this website and this post. These were the questions I thought of the most since it was my first real job interview.

Thank you!

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #14 on: Jun 14, 2012, 07:01 »
I think you may find that indeed.com is one of the best job search websites there is. Just type in your job title and North Carolina for location.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #15 on: Jun 14, 2012, 09:00 »
I don't discount networking as it has worked pretty well for me. But the networking actually involved working with the people I networked with. These people liked the way I worked and chose to bring me in on jobs they were on. As BZ has stated, networking will not help you when you are taking a POSS test or sitting in front of a panel of interviewers. Unless you have old Navy buddies where you want to go, it is hard to get any recognition just coming off the boat. There is a bunch of you.

Consider contract work to get yor foot in the door. Bartlett, Atlantic group, look them up
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?