Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu CFCC Nuclear Tech Program! honeypot

Author Topic: CFCC Nuclear Tech Program!  (Read 6383 times)

Offline RANZUR

• Lurker
CFCC Nuclear Tech Program!
« on: Jun 28, 2012, 01:53 »
   I have recently been granted a scholarship by Granite/GE and I am absolutely excited by the opportunity. I would like for anyone to give me accurate and reliable information about the scholarship program (good or bad). I am not looking for negative opinions on the program from outsiders or people who have failed the program. I am looking for details of the career/salary/retirement expected at particular intervals after graduating the program.  I am counting on accurate and reliable facts that describe a true account of anyone who is currently involved or has previously been involved in this particular scholarship program.

Offline JessicaRabbit

• Lurker
Re: CFCC Nuclear Tech Program!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2012, 12:28 »
I almost envy your situation… Without knowing what field of study you are going for in the nuclear program with GE and where you will be placed for a job would make it difficult to help you with knowing what your pay scale would be.
The nuclear world is a very rewarding industry in many ways, but it can consume your life if you get into the wrong company and job. I have been working as a temporary laborer and am putting myself through college… The companies are just now starting to really feel the effects of putting off what they should have already been doing for the past 10 years! I would have already been through college and with a fulltime job if they would have started these programs a long time ago. I believe this will be an excellent opportunity for you if it is something that interests you. GE is an excellent company (from what I have heard through others and from what I have read, if you will continue working with them after your schooling you will be setting yourself up for a good future)…
You should really do some research on your own; about the industry, on the company, in your area, or where you would want to be located at after you are finished with school. Nuclear power plants are located all over the country and there will be many jobs in the near future, but you will still need to get experience… Please tell me about the CFCC and the location if you don’t mind or any little information you can share with me. I am currently enrolled in Excelsior College going for my Associates in Science with Nuclear Technology. I have worked in Florida and the north east at a few different nuclear power plants doing different jobs throughout the industry.
It would be hard to tell you what each job would pay because each plant is different due to some may be union some may not. That might be something to look into as well. The pay is definitely above your average job! Good Luck! Hope this helps!

Offline dungeon

• Lurker
  • RST
Re: CFCC Nuclear Tech Program!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2013, 04:16 »
I am currently in my post graduate part of this program, about half way through the commitment period.  I don't know if you have been on your co-op outage yet, I doubt you have, maybe this spring?  I know this post is old.

This program has its benefits and its disadvantages.  It's a great way to get your foot in the door, but it's also going to be very tough on you financially in the beginning, especially if you are on your own living by yourself and trying to support yourself.  We do not make what the senior techs make (for good reason) so do not get discouraged by the disparity in pay - these guys have been working this industry for 10+ years.

Management is an issue due to the strain put upon the people in your service manager position, turn over is pretty high at about 1 to 1.5 years per manager, so establishing a dialogue and getting to know him or her is very difficult.  Getting recognized in Granite due to merit is difficult due to this and there's very little conversation or interaction between upper management and the troops.  I don't believe my bosses have been to a refuel floor or really have an idea of what we do. 

But, like I said before it's a great way to get started as a nuclear worker.  In the past it was very difficult to break into this industry - most guys had to know someone who knew someone, have very much experience in industrial work, or just by pure dumb luck. That being said it also brings some very negative feelings against us as a group, which brings me to my next point.

The CFCC program started pretty badly, they literally brought anyone off the street into the field and gave them a job and a company CC.  This has led to a lot of negative stigma against us.  I don't go a job without hearing someone talk about, "Damn cape fear kids, KFC's!" etc. I have to prove my work ethic every where I go.

Before I said I wasn't sure if you had been on your co-op outage yet, and if you haven't and are getting ready to go out and work for the first time I want to give you some advice to think on before heading out.

Firstly, this stuff is SPECIAL.  We work with dangerous stuff that you need to respect at all times, people get hurt in this field every year and it's important to take the safety briefings and culture principals serious - no matter how many times you hear them!  On my first outage at Susquehanna a pipefitter nearly cut his hand off and had to be air lifted to the Wilkes-Barre hospital.  It's serious stuff!

Secondly, being an RST, contrary to popular belief is hard work.  It's physical and it's demanding.  Not always mind you, some days are better than others but when it's 90 degrees with 100% humidity on the refuel floor and you're trying to do modifactions to a jetpump from a 360 tub you'll realize this isn't a business for people of low constitution.  There are days I come home soaked, feet hurting, hands and arms hurting.. nasty.  It's hot, it's humid, and it's physical, if anyone says anything to the contrary they have never done the work of an RST.

That being said, if you are too weak to do the work it will be noticed immediatly, so my suggestion is to hit up the gym and start doing some arm and upper body workouts if you aren't already.

Thirdly and most importantly is your work ethic.  People in this industry have been doing this work for a long time and are very protective of it in a way, they're also afraid of "training their replacements" and this makes some older techs reluctant to accept or help teach younger techs who are starting out.  It's very saddening in a way and has made me angry and spiteful at times but in the end, what you have to do is prove yourself to your peers that you are worth teaching and tutoring.  There is a lot of complicated activities that require physical AND mental output from the technicians to be achieved successfully, working as a team is paramount!  Never disrespect or take for granted the lessons the older techs can teach you, NEVER act like you know everything with one job and RFAO under your belt!  One thing you do not want as an RST is to have a bad reputation for being a know-it-all and be completely incompetent.  It's ok to be ignorant, it's not ok to proceed in the face of uncertainty - if you don't know.. ask for help!!

Always act professionally with people you don't know and usually if you carry yourself with confidence and a willingness to learn anyone will be happy to work with you, always respect those that know more than you!

And to wrap it all up I want to just welcome you to the industry.  We get to see some of the coolest most awesomest things ever ;).  Not many folks in this world get to see what we do for a living - it's an awesome job, and it compensates you for your time away from family and home very well.  I've met some life long friends in it and learned a great deal about myself in this job and I love the work, but again, it's not for everyone, five years is a long time to commit to something you may not like.  Keep your attitude in check and be willing to learn and you will do fine and enjoy the work we do!  Good luck out there! :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?