Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Some help for a newcomer?

Author Topic: Some help for a newcomer?  (Read 3244 times)

Jay92

Some help for a newcomer?
« on: Jul 19, 2012, 08:52 »
So I'm 20 years old and recently signed a Nuke Contract. i leave for Boot Camp Nov 1st. It amazes me how little my recruiters can actually tell me about Nukes. I've been able to speak with one MM for about 10 minutes so you can bet i squeezed all the info i can out of him. However, I'm still left in the dark. I know i have to make it through school and take it one step at a time. But, I'm confident ill be able to grind and fight through it. What i want to know is what is the actual job like? I've heard everything from, "Nukes don't do anything" to, "Nukes works 24/7." and i figured why not ask people who've already been through it.

I would also like to know when i start to receive my signing bonus. I assume it would be after schooling is complete but, i cant seem to get a solid answer. I would really like to help my brother out while he's in nursing school so this lump of money can be a real help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-Jay

withroaj

Re: Some help for a newcomer?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2012, 08:59 »
...I've heard everything from, "Nukes don't do anything" to, "Nukes works 24/7." and i figured why not ask people who've already been through it.

Both.  You'll spend a ton of time waiting for things to happen (nuclear work takes a good amount of paperwork/authorization/colaboration), which will feel like you're not doing anything (just don't be the one who's not ready when it's time for work to start).  You'll also feel like you work 24/7 when you're at sea on a watch rotation and you also have maintenance/admin to accomplish.

I would also like to know when i start to receive my signing bonus. I assume it would be after schooling is complete but, i cant seem to get a solid answer...

If it hasn't changed you'll get a third upon completing power school and the remaining two thirds when you complete prototype.

Good luck, study hard, and thank you for your service.
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2012, 09:01 by withroaj »

Jay92

« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2012, 09:10 »
withroaj,

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I was wondering if there's anything i could study in my 4 months waiting period? I have quite a bit of time on my hands and would like to be better prepared when my card is pulled. i feel like playing games all day and hanging with my friends is time i can spend bettering my chances in school.

withroaj

« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2012, 09:31 »
I was wondering if there's anything i could study in my 4 months waiting period?

As mentioned all over this board (I might recommend browsing for a while), they'll teach you everything from the ground up (including math).  If your rudimentary math and reading skills are at least at an 8th grade level you should just play games and hang out with your friends (you won't have time for any of that for at least two months once you ship out).  Get/stay in decent physical condition and you'll be fine.

HeavyD

« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2012, 03:16 »
Don't do anything that would be or could be classified as "STUPID".  Cause if you do, you can lose everything.

Best of luck and thank you for volunteering :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?