Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Enlisting into the Navy.  

Author Topic: Enlisting into the Navy.  (Read 9011 times)

Beowulf1216

Enlisting into the Navy.
« on: Jul 29, 2012, 12:18 »
Hello everyone,

Six months ago I stupidly decided to drop out from he Navy's DEP program. The reason for doing so was because I wanted to finish school first as well as a bit of hesitation. Everyday since then I have regretted my decision and I want to go back in. I realized my idiocy In leaving was a bad decision and I have came to the life decision to do it. My question is can I enlist into the navy again and am I eligible for the nuclear program, given I have the right test scores.

Thank you for your time.

Fermi2

Re: Enlisting into the Navy.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29, 2012, 12:39 »
Eligible? Yes most likely.
Would they accept you? I doubt it, you burned them once.

Hilariousity

« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2012, 01:19 »
This looks useful http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/dep_2.htm

hmmmmmmm... I wonder if my post will be deleted for post a link from another site...

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2012, 02:14 »

hmmmmmmm... I wonder if my post will be deleted for posting a link from another site...

Why would a moderator delete you for using a citation or reference. I rip people in PolySci who do not. There are links to outside sites and articles all over this site including the News Feed.
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2012, 02:15 by Marlin »

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Jul 29, 2012, 02:16 »

hmmmmmmm... I wonder if my post will be deleted for post a link from another site...

However, I wouldn't use about.com. It's frequently outdated and/or inaccurate.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Jul 29, 2012, 09:12 »
I'd recommend just asking a recruiter. I'm sure they will know better than most of us.

Offline DontGoToNPTU

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2012, 09:21 »
I'd say that it would depend on your reasoning for dropping from DEP and how you did it. If you just kind of ignored it and just didn't show up on your ship date then yeah you might as well forget about it because they're probably not going to give you the time of day unless they're really really hurting to fill their quotas (which we are way over manned as far nuke students go). If you were up front with them and said you aren't going to ship as previously agreed because you wanted to finish school AND you finished, then you have a decent chance. In either case it doesn't hurt to simply ask.

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2012, 05:34 »
I'm more idealistic then the people above. If you made an Oath of Enlistment, then chickened out, I, for one, don't want you in any branch. Ever.

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2012, 05:37 »
Because what's to stop you from sadding out (which has such a HIGH PERCENTAGE CHANCE OF OCCURRING) once you realize you don't like field day or being told to sit quietly somewhere?

Definitely not your sense of commitment...or courage...or honor.

Any recruiter who takes you is desperate to meet goal.

The one thing you got going for you is you admit you were stupid for bowing out.

Fermi2

« Reply #9 on: Jul 30, 2012, 09:28 »
Because what's to stop you from sadding out (which has such a HIGH PERCENTAGE CHANCE OF OCCURRING) once you realize you don't like field day or being told to sit quietly somewhere?

Definitely not your sense of commitment...or courage...or honor.

Any recruiter who takes you is desperate to meet goal.

The one thing you got going for you is you admit you were stupid for bowing out.

You assumed all this from one post?

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Aug 01, 2012, 12:05 »
You assumed all this from one post?

Yes. His original post says it all. He was in DEP (thus, he said the oath of enlistment), and bowed out. There might be some other reasoning behind his decision apart from what he wants to mention on this forum, but overall I feel confident pinning him as one of the MANY types of guys/gals that will dash out on their 6 year commitment the moment it's convenient to them.

It's happening at such a large rate in the Navy right now, which might be why I'm quick to make snap judgments.

To answer the original OP's question...if you really do want back in, ask the recruiters. If that office wont' give you the time of day, go to another recruitment office.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #11 on: Aug 01, 2012, 12:34 »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: Aug 01, 2012, 12:45 »
Just to be clear to the OP (and anyone else), these are MY opinions, and are in fact quite contrary to the official stance of the Navy. They're fine with Deppers bailing out in the sense that no legal ramifications will occur to a Depper who is ADSEP'ed. The only true oath that matters from a legal perspective is when you actually enter active duty (the one you say the day you ship out). The particular recruiting office might be wary of you, but if you have a legit reason, they should take you back.

Also, to the OP, did you ever get a copy of the form NAVPERS 1070/613 (ADMINISTRATIVE REMARKS or "Administrative Separation from Delayed Entry"), and if so, what is the three letter code listed for your reason for discharge? If it was solely "ZDB" (Pursuit of Higher Education), you might be able to reenlist, provided you get the necessary authorizations (the CO of the recruiting district has to approve it). Also, you'll have to find a recruiter willing to work with you. Since it's been a few months, your chances are decent, provided your reason for separation isn't anything grossly negative. Typically, it can take 6 months to a year before an ADSEPed DEP is actually reenlisted.

If you have another code on that form though (e.g. "ZBC"), you'll have a hard time...but again, not necessarily impossible. Again, from a legal standpoint, it isn't until you say the oath before heading to RTC that you fall under the umbrella of military jurisdiction regarding criminal punishments.

PM me if you want more details, or want to look over the instructions regarding reenlistment of previous DEP personnel.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?