Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Does everyone hate Nukes?  

Author Topic: Does everyone hate Nukes?  (Read 17342 times)

Offline Dorian52

• Very Lite User
Does everyone hate Nukes?
« on: Aug 09, 2012, 07:06 »
My friend recently joined the Navy as a Hospital Corpman. When he returned from boot camp and found out that I was going nuke he told me everybody hates them. He didn't say why but I would just like to know if this is an actual common stereotype.

Offline Dorian52

• Very Lite User
Re: Does everyone hate Nukes?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2012, 08:13 »
True. I just thought that being a nuke would earn respect rather than envy. But I guess envy will always be around.

HeavyD

« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2012, 08:45 »
Another aspect to being a Nuke is that the true "hot runners" in other rates will end up working their a$$es off to get advanced to Second Class, and it will take most of them the better part of 4-5 years.  Average, or maybe slightly below average, Nukes can STAR reenlist at their 2 year point, get an auto advance to E-5 and a hefty bonus on top of that.  Most other rates, HM NOT being one of them, get zero for a reenlist bonus.

Add to that the stereotype for nukes (D&D, WOW playing, emo/goth, nerdy, dufus, etc.), and the fact that, as was previously posted, we tend to be smarter on average, and you get the scenario described.

Now, having said all that, I had some good friends who were NOT nukes.  As a First Class and Chief, I worked with some really sharp and smart people in other rates.  So things can vary.

Best of luck and thank you for volunteering to serve!

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2012, 11:55 »
Does everyone hate nukes?

Who cares?

My paycheck doesn't.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 2012, 12:24 »
Does everyone hate nukes?

Who cares?

My paycheck doesn't.

Justin

that would be an exemplary RFS,... 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Dorian52

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2012, 03:29 »
My father is a retired Cheif and he was an IT. He put in 26 years and he said he never met a "stuck up nuke" or a "nerdy weirdo nuke". I just came on here for a few more opinions. Thank y'all for y'alls responses and I can't wait to put in work in SC!

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #6 on: Aug 09, 2012, 10:26 »
 [dowave] [navy sub] [navy sub] 8) 8) ;D ;DHiggs, Who cares Karma for U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2012, 10:28 by thenukeman »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #7 on: Aug 09, 2012, 10:46 »
[dowave] [navy sub] [navy sub] 8) 8) ;D ;DHiggs, Who cares Karma for U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for putting my K at my boat's hull number. ;D

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #8 on: Aug 09, 2012, 11:15 »
In boot camp I was told I was too cool to be a nuke! I proved it later by getting kicked out. Too cool for school baby! 8) 8) 8) 8)
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #9 on: Aug 10, 2012, 10:31 »
True. I just thought that being a nuke would earn respect rather than envy.

Respect should come from making it through training and standing the watch.

Yer simply eating for free until then.

Nukes would get a lot more respect if the NNPP went along these lines...

« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2012, 10:32 by HydroDave63 »

withroaj

« Reply #10 on: Aug 11, 2012, 10:11 »
Just remember:

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: Aug 11, 2012, 11:00 »
Just remember:

Is that one of those aircraft tractors from the CVN, converted for ELT remote sampling transport and retrieval?   :P

MacGyver

« Reply #12 on: Aug 11, 2012, 01:16 »
My friend recently joined the Navy as a Hospital Corpman. When he returned from boot camp and found out that I was going nuke he told me everybody hates them. He didn't say why but I would just like to know if this is an actual common stereotype.

He should've spent more time in front of a mirror.

Just say'in,,, Jealously / Envy aren't pretty.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #13 on: Aug 11, 2012, 01:39 »

Technically, your friend is a Hospital Corpsman,...

Don't feel bad, the President cannot get it right either,... [coffee]

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #14 on: Aug 11, 2012, 03:46 »
He meant Hospital Cartman. Respect my authoriteye!
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #15 on: Aug 14, 2012, 01:05 »
It's worse for ELT's. They are hated by their brother nukes. Just because we don't fit that nerdy nuke stereotype. Because we weren't social misfits, we had less money due to entertaining the ladies. It was hard to make ends meet. We should have received extra pay.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #16 on: Aug 14, 2012, 01:26 »
It's worse for ELT's. They are hated by their brother nukes. Just because we don't fit that nerdy nuke stereotype. Because we weren't social misfits, we had less money due to entertaining the ladies. It was hard to make ends meet. We should have received extra pay.

Those were only the surface ELT's, the ELT SS models were entertained by the ladies,... :P ;) :) 8)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #17 on: Aug 14, 2012, 01:45 »
Those were only the surface ELT's, the ELT SS models were entertained by the ladies,... :P ;) :) 8)

While under the ice, right?  :P

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #18 on: Aug 14, 2012, 02:11 »
While under the ice, right?  :P

I know not of what u speak,... [coffee]

HeavyD

« Reply #19 on: Aug 14, 2012, 03:12 »
ALL Navy nukes are social misfits, to some degree.  It's what draws the ladies to be entertained   ;D

MacGyver

« Reply #20 on: Aug 14, 2012, 08:07 »
ALL Navy nukes are social misfits, to some degree.  It's what draws the ladies to be entertained   ;D

Yes,,, that is what draws them in,,,

SUB COMMANDER FAKES DEATH TO END AFFAIR

Or you could just add this to your seabag,,,

I know not of what u speak,... [coffee]

Yes you do,,, you sly fella.

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #21 on: Aug 15, 2012, 11:12 »
Mare Island, in addition to being a shipyard, also had various training facilities located there.  One of them was the school of those going to PBR's (Patrol Boat River for the youngsters).  Mare Island also hosted the West Coast Nuclear Training School.  I had the pleasure of going to that school in 1967.  Monday through Friday, in the morning, the PBR guys would jog by the barracks, and in unison chant a cadence of which part went like this:

"...If I had a high IQ, I could be a nukie pooh..."

They were so predictable, you did not need an alarm clock.

I never met a non-nuke on Bainbridge who hated nukes.  Did they tease us, sure, but just about everyone onboard knew we had the heaviest workload of any division on the ship other then the cooks.

Even within engineering, RO's took more hazing then MM's or the EM's (who everyone jokingly agreed had nothing to do, said with envy).  I barely remember the existence of the ELT once I did basic quals on that workstation.

My last two years were on a conventional destroyer.  As the LPO, I was frequently referred to as the f****g nuke as I demanded of them what was normal in nuke engineering.  Later I got a complement for one of my guys when he said to me, "You know, no one likes a know-it-all, especially when they do".  He was referring to my professional attitude, not my knowledge of the vast array of equipment the division maintained.

Just keep in mind, that sailors will tease others to break up the monotony of ship board life.  Signalmen were referred to as 'skivvy' wavers, yet they were the first guys you went to to find out what was happening in theatre as they would 'talk' with their cohorts during unreps.  Then there was the "pecker checker", otherwise known as the Corpsman.  Another guy you needed when a liberty tryst went wrong.  There were other names for other ratings.

However, there was one rating you never, ever made fun of, and those were the cooks.  It is not difficult to understand why these guys were not made fun of.

Enjoy your enlistment, everyone you meet has an important role in the operation of the ship, and the bottom line is, no matter what is said in jest, each depends upon the other to do their job and keep you alive.  Each is respected for their contribution to mission.

No one rate hates another, but everyone dislikes a jackass.
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?