Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Collision Alarm honeypot

Author Topic: Collision Alarm  (Read 6894 times)

MacGyver

Collision Alarm
« on: Aug 12, 2012, 06:36 »
Click image for article

Images Click here

« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2012, 12:49 by MacGyver »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Collision Alarm
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2012, 08:25 »
Text account of collision:

http://gcaptain.com/navy-destroyer-collides-japanese/

A 300,000 ton supertanker is hard to miss. Even when the summer smaze is going on, tankers are lit well enough to be seen by the human eye for a couple miles at night. I can't wait to hear the cat-ate-my-homework and GPS-was-giving-us-bad-data stories on this one...  >:(

drayer54

« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2012, 09:14 »

MacGyver

« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2012, 09:36 »
Kind of reminds me of this
[/youtube]

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2012, 10:57 »
Dafuq?

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2012, 11:11 »
"Knock off ships work...supper for the crew. The ship's movie tonight has been changed to "PT-109", starring Cliff Robertson and Robert Culp. That is all."

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2012, 11:25 »
Lucky for them that tanker was not going all that fast and they were not really t-boned.  If you want to know what happens a speed, look up the USS Frank E. Evans.  Sailors died that night because of some jackass JO.  (My buddy was a radioman on watch that night.  As it happened, he had to take a crap and went aft.  He was on the crapper when the collision occured.  All in the radio shack died.)

Hmmm, it happened at 0100, I wonder if the old man was on the bridge, or was it another JO OOD who thought he was a hot shot.

Who in the heck would cross the bow of a tanker?  You do not have to even see the tanker to know it is there.  Where was CIC surface plot with all their fancy computer equipment.  Were the RD's (or whatever they are called these days) asleep or playing some computer games?  Shoot, even I as an ET knew how to look at the display of an old SPS-10 radar and plot an intercept with a grease pen.

I hate to see this s***t happen.  There is no exuse for it.  All I can say I is there was certainly a training issue on the ship, or is it epidemic.

So another Captain will bite the dust because of someones stupidity, maybe even his.

Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2012, 10:19 »

PT-109 Crash just for HydroDave!!!!

MacGyver

MacGyver

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?