Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Ending 4-Year Physics Degree Very Soon.... Navy Nuke Officer?

Author Topic: Ending 4-Year Physics Degree Very Soon.... Navy Nuke Officer?  (Read 7439 times)

Offline supraskylinesti

• Lurker
Just trying to get some input on whether this is a wise choice for me.

At first I was looking at graduate schools for some kind of Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, ultimately to just get a masters in Engineering.
Then I came across the Navy Nuke Officer program and became intrigued with the job opportunities afterwards.

I understand that you don't get any kind of degree after the 6 years, but what do you exactly get? What are you allowed to put down on your resume if you go through the 6-7 years of being an officer? Nuclear Engineering training? I plan to finish the online Thomas Edison University degree in Nuclear Engineering Technology too over the course of my enlistment.

Will having a bachelors in Physics from an accredited University, a bachelors in Nuclear Engineering Technology from Thomas Edison State College, and the whole Navy Nuclear Officer program make up for my other choice of going to graduate school right after undergrad and getting a masters?

Technically with all the posts I've read over the various forums and statistics, I should be making around six figures in a job coming out of the Navy program with a degree or two. I figure with a masters in engineering I would still only get an entry level engineering position since I have no experience and be in massive debt.

I would love to serve my country and absolutely understand all that is required of one in the Military, but I'm also thinking realistically and want to know if its the best path that one can take in these regards.

With these qualifications would I be able to secure an SRO spot?

One last question, would the Navy pay for my undergrad Federal Loans too?

I've searched a lot and these are only the couple of questions that I still have unanswered.

Thanks guys I appreciate it.

Offline supraskylinesti

• Lurker
Also, how do the general enlisted and officer programs differ in education/training/deployment? I've found much information about the enlisted program, but not so much about being an officer.
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2012, 09:15 by supraskylinesti »

Offline ba2012

• Lurker
Congrats on your impending Physics degree!  I served in the Army, so I am unable to answer your questions as to; would the Navy pay for your undergrad loans.  I will say you need to think long and hard before joining the military.  If you have a family, don’t go!!!  If you are single, then I would still think long and hard before joining!  It is truly a total commitment.     
As for the Nuclear Engineering Technology from Thomas Edison:  I would make sure their program is accredited.  I would think a Masters in Nuclear Engineering from an accredited university would be much more appealing.   
Of course you would only get an entry level engineering positions.  Like you said you will have no experience…. but, even an entry level position pays extremely well.  I believe your being  a little naïve, if you think you’re going to be making 6 figures right out of the gate.  You'll have to earn that kind of money.  A degree is just a check on a very long list.  I wish you this best of luck, in whatever you decide to do!  Keeps us posted!   
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2012, 03:12 by ba2012 »

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
With your physics degree I don't think that the Thomas Edison degree would make you any more marketable...

What your missing is the real world, applied engineering experience. In addition to considering the Navy route, I'd also take a look at the civilian side of the industry.

Engineers cross over to Operations pretty regularly, and there's also the non-licensed operator positions to consider. That would get you the practical experience you need, and probably get you into an SRO position faster than doing a hitch in the Navy would. I know my plant likes to hire people with degrees into the non-licensed program with the intent on training them to progress into license programs pretty quickly. If I remember correctly, all 10 of our most recent hires all have some sort of engineering type degrees.
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
Just trying to get some input on whether this is a wise choice for me.
So you rely on strangers on some online forum to make life choices for you?

I understand that you don't get any kind of degree after the 6 years, but what do you exactly get?
You get 6 years of being employed.

What are you allowed to put down on your resume if you go through the 6-7 years of being an officer?
It's not unlike any other job.  If you worked somewhere for 6 years, what would go on your resume?

I plan to finish the online Thomas Edison University degree in Nuclear Engineering Technology too over the course of my enlistment.
You won't be enlisted.  And why waste time getting another BS that's not even a engineering degree?

Will having a bachelors in Physics from an accredited University, a bachelors in Nuclear Engineering Technology from Thomas Edison State College, and the whole Navy Nuclear Officer program make up for my other choice of going to graduate school right after undergrad and getting a masters?
Apples and oranges.

Technically with all the posts I've read over the various forums and statistics, I should be making around six figures in a job coming out of the Navy program with a degree or two.
Incorrect.

I would love to serve my country and absolutely understand all that is required of one in the Military, but I'm also thinking realistically and want to know if its the best path that one can take in these regards.
What do you mean you are thinking realistically?  If you mean, "where can you get the most money", don't enter the military.  If you mean, "how can I best serve my country in the military?", go and fill the military's needs in whatever capacity you can.

With these qualifications would I be able to secure an SRO spot?
What qualification?

One last question, would the Navy pay for my undergrad Federal Loans too?
No.

I've searched a lot and these are only the couple of questions that I still have unanswered.
Search more.

Bottom line.  Take a job in the military if you really want to serve.  DO NOT make a commitment to serve just because you think you'll make money, or you think it will set you up better on the outside, or because of the bonuses, etc.  That way of thinking will result in plenty of pain for you and those in the military that rely on you.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?