Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Questions about the submarine community
honeypot

Author Topic: Questions about the submarine community  (Read 3838 times)

Offline tj1371x

• Lurker
Questions about the submarine community
« on: Dec 04, 2012, 05:25 »
Hello everyone,

I'm currently a senior in a NROTC program, and I was recently selected for the sub community ("Needs of the Navy"). While this was not my first choice, I've done a bit more research into the sub community and I am really motivated about doing it now. I will be graduating in about 6 months, and I wanted to reach out to the forum for some general information. I've read several other threads, and this site has been extremely helpful answering some of my questions. I'll start by talking a bit about myself first:

I'm 26, and I'm a prior enlisted Marine ('04-'08) with an honorable discharge and served 3 tours in Iraq. I'm an environmental science major with the requisite calculus and physics courses completed, and multiple semesters of chemistry and other science courses done as well. I'm not an engineering major by any means, but I hold just shy of a 3.9 GPA, and I consider myself a good student. I have a good work ethic, and am dedicated to anything I apply myself to. I run an outstanding physical, and consider myself to be an effective leader. I will be married to a lovely lady who I have been living with for 5 years now by the time I commission, and she supports my commitment to the Navy and the submarine community.

I'm curious as to how hard nuke school will be for me being that I'm not an engineering major? I'd also like to hear any general advice folks here might have for a newly commissioning Ensign that will be married, and advice on the career pathway in general as I plan on making a long term commitment to the Navy (I say that now at least). I'm currently planning on going to a SSBN for my JO tour, then NPS for a post-graduate degree, and then going to SSNs and doing a split DH tour to maximize my chances for getting ENG before screening for O-4. Thanks for any advice and feel free to PM.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Questions about the submarine community
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2012, 05:48 »
I'm currently a senior in a NROTC program, and I was recently selected for the sub community ("Needs of the Navy"). While this was not my first choice,

Submarine Service is all volunteer.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2012, 06:41 »
I think that if you indicate sub service as a possible choice, you have to check the volunteer for subs box.  I don't remember if you can un-volunteer for subs, but I seem to think that you can't.
Of course, it is a little different for officers - who go to sub school after NPTU and almost all have to be nukes.

For the OP, it is really hard to tell how you will do in NPS at this point.  Obviously, you have to qualify for selection before they will send you there.  Your major in college is not as determinative as one might think.  EE, ME, Systems Engineers, etc. all get put into the same pipeline and get the same training - unlike enlisted nukes. 
As far as advice goes, make plans but be open to the idea that your plans may never come to be more than plans.  Teach your bride to understand the maxim, "the Navy didn't issue you a wife."  Do it as long as you love it, and love it as long as you do it.
Thank you for your service both past and future. FWFS
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2012, 06:42 by Already Gone »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

HeavyD

« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2012, 08:27 »
If he has been selected for submarine duty he is going to one of two communities; Nuclear or Supply Corps.  Even though he doesn't specifically come right out and say "I have been selected for sub Nuke.", I think it's a safe bet he is.

Having said that, I may be reading Already Gone's response wrong.

Obviously, you have to qualify for selection before they will send you there.

Some food for thought:

- With prior enlisted service, specifically a minimum of 4 years, you should be getting commissioned as an O-1E, not a regular O-1.  Difference in pay.  If unsure, ask NOW, and keep asking until you are shown, in writing, that you are not in that category.
- The biggest challenge I saw people face is that the Navy has one way of teaching things in the pipeline.  Go with it.  Don't think you know a better, faster, super awesome, etc. way of doing the things that will be presented to you.  Part of the pipeline is about achieving and maintining uniformity.  Everyone learned everything the same way, thinks the same when it comes to solving plant related questions, does the math the same way, etc.  Failure to adapt, be assimilated  ;D, will severely hinder your potential success.
- Listen to your Chief.  Your sailors are your number one assest, treat them that way and they will bend over backwards to take care of you as well.

Best of luck and thank you for continuing to serve! 

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2012, 01:31 »
There is little chance that a PorkChop is going to be concerned with qualifying as Engineer Officer.  There are only nukes on SSN's in addition to the one Supply Corps Officer.  So, he's going nuke.  You read me right.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?