Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NUPOC Instructor honeypot

Author Topic: NUPOC Instructor  (Read 3264 times)

Offline James333

• Lurker
NUPOC Instructor
« on: Dec 16, 2012, 08:54 »
Hello,

I am a third year Mechanical Engineering student at UCLA with a 3.67 GPA applying for NUPOC (instructor position). I passed my physical at MEPS. I turned in most of my paperwork and will hopefully have my interview in a month or two, according to my recruiter. I've been looking around the forum but couldn't really find answers for some of my concerns.

I just had a few, lengthy questions:
1) What are my chances of getting into the program? I am only applying for instructor, nothing else. Too far from graduation to apply for NR and other options are not too appealing.

2) I heard that you have to be in the reserves after the program is over. My recruiter never mentioned it so I don't know if it is true or not. If so, what do you do in the reserves, is there compensation, etc.? I plan on entering industry right after I finish my 4 years as an instructor and I'm concerned that the reserves might take away some options. For example, do I have to stay in a certain location due to the reserves or am I allowed to move anywhere? Do you foresee any way that I might be limited due to the reserves?

3) After finishing the four years as an instructor, I'm concerned about how I will be seen by employers. Do I hold any edge over new graduates, am I on the same level, or am I even lower because I haven't done anything related to industry after I graduated. Basically, what is the job market like after I finish?

4) This is related to question 3, but I was thinking of doing a Masters program during my time as an instructor. Is it possible even with a full work schedule? What are your opinions? Could I go to a local school in Charleston, or should I do an online masters?

Thanks so much in advance for your responses.

MacGyver

Re: NUPOC Instructor
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2012, 12:01 »
Hello,

I am a third year Mechanical Engineering student at UCLA with a 3.67 GPA applying for NUPOC (instructor position). I passed my physical at MEPS. I turned in most of my paperwork and will hopefully have my interview in a month or two, according to my recruiter. I've been looking around the forum but couldn't really find answers for some of my concerns.

I just had a few, lengthy questions:
1) What are my chances of getting into the program? I am only applying for instructor, nothing else. Too far from graduation to apply for NR and other options are not too appealing.

2) I heard that you have to be in the reserves after the program is over. My recruiter never mentioned it so I don't know if it is true or not. If so, what do you do in the reserves, is there compensation, etc.? I plan on entering industry right after I finish my 4 years as an instructor and I'm concerned that the reserves might take away some options. For example, do I have to stay in a certain location due to the reserves or am I allowed to move anywhere? Do you foresee any way that I might be limited due to the reserves?

3) After finishing the four years as an instructor, I'm concerned about how I will be seen by employers. Do I hold any edge over new graduates, am I on the same level, or am I even lower because I haven't done anything related to industry after I graduated. Basically, what is the job market like after I finish?

4) This is related to question 3, but I was thinking of doing a Masters program during my time as an instructor. Is it possible even with a full work schedule? What are your opinions? Could I go to a local school in Charleston, or should I do an online masters?

Thanks so much in advance for your responses.

TLDNR

I believe you can start your nukeworker journey rat here: {CLICK ON IMAGE BELOW}
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2012, 02:17 by MacGyver »

Offline James333

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2012, 02:48 »
I would appreciate some actual input... I've spent a long time searching on the internet already but was unable to find answers for my specific questions. Well, number one I kind of already know the answer but I thought I would ask for my case specifically.

MacGyver

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2012, 02:54 »
I would appreciate some actual input... I've spent a long time searching on the internet already but was unable to find answers for my specific questions. Well, number one I kind of already know the answer but I thought I would ask for my case specifically.

You should read a couple of the threads in the search (provided) and then PM those contributors (in those threads, if they are still active on the boards) and ask them all your questions.

Probably, even make a couple of good contacts for your future endeavor.

I am a past enlisted operator so I can't answer O-ganger questions with any authority.  So, don't PM me,,,  [dowave]  :P

Cheers
[beer]

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?