Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What to Study in Preparation for Nuke School honeypot

Author Topic: What to Study in Preparation for Nuke School  (Read 3786 times)

Offline yankee4c

• Lurker
What to Study in Preparation for Nuke School
« on: Dec 30, 2012, 10:29 »
Greetings,
I enlisted in the NAVY at the end of August of last year, and was given the Missile Technician (Submarine) job. Acting on the advice of my recruiter, I took the NAPT exam and changed my job / contract to the Nuclear Field. I'll be shipping out on July 24th, 2013. In preparation for Basic Training, I've been working out and going over my START guide. I figured it might also be a good idea to study up on some of the material that will be covered in the Nuclear training. And so I pose the question to all of you: What subjects / specific topics ought I be studying and reading about in preparation for the Nuclear training? Will a basic review of Math (up to the Calculus level) and basic reviews of Physics and Chemistry suffice, or are there specific topics within those that I should be reading up on?

A little about me, if it might help answer the question:
-23 years old, Bachelors Degree
-Passed regents level Chemistry and Physics courses in High School (Haven't seen the material in quite a while)
-Took math up to Pre-Calculus in High School, took Calculus in College
-99 ASVAB, 62/80 NAPT

Thanks

Offline MGH

• Light User
Re: What to Study in Preparation for Nuke School
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2012, 12:31 »
Sounds like you are ready to enter nuke school already. I was not. I went through in 1980 and it was tough. It makes college look like a walk in the park.

If I was you I would take a few months off of work (longer if possible) and do something that will allow your mind to unwind...something to remember for the rest of your life.

Your life will change dramatically on July 24th and you will no longer be calling the shots so do something now that you will not be able to do after you are active duty.

Don't waste too much time in the books, but stay in shape and have fun while you can still make basic decisions.

Thanks for serving...live long and prosper.

Offline EM UMPTY SQUAT

• Light User
Re: What to Study in Preparation for Nuke School
« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2013, 01:58 »
I'd advise not studying until they give you the NAVY WAY of everything. Sounds like you are way over qualified and going to feel really miserable sitting in a classroom with 18-22 year olds who joined after flunking out of college or right after high school and are getting the same paychecks as you.

Keys to succeeding in NFAS and Nuclear Power School:
1. Don't be late..for anything..ever
2. Don't short your study hours
3. Don't fall behind, most everyone who fails out does poorly in the first 2-3 subjects, a ton of the information builds off of understanding the previous information

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?