Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Chances of getting NUPOC Instructor Position  

Author Topic: Chances of getting NUPOC Instructor Position  (Read 13701 times)

Offline mmm313

• Very Lite User
Chances of getting NUPOC Instructor Position
« on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:21 »
I've search these forums a lot and found out some helpful info about the program, but I was wondering how my, personal, position stood.  I am currently a Mechanical Engineering sophomore with a 3.58 GPA. My first semester, I got a 3.33. Then second semester, I got a 3.65. And now third semester, I got a 3.68.  So I have been steadily improving over time. I was wondering what my chances were like of getting in for an Instructor position? Thanks for the help!

Offline MGH

• Light User
Re: Chances of getting NUPOC Instructor Position
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2013, 01:55 »
Depends on the needs of the Navy...that's really the bottom line. Even if you have a 4.0 across the board, but there are no slots...

Offline mmm313

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2013, 12:18 »
Bump, any other input??? I just want to see where I might stand?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2013, 06:58 »
Right now your chances are zero....

Talking to a recruiter and actually applying will improve your chances somewhat.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:36 »
Bump, any other input??? I just want to see where I might stand?

I hear that if you hurry, you can get orders to the Big "E" out of Norfolk!  ;)

Offline mmm313

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2013, 11:47 »
Right now your chances are zero....

Talking to a recruiter and actually applying will improve your chances somewhat.

Calm down, geez...Of course I am going to apply I just went to MEPS yesterday and Im currently filling out the security clearance. Im just trying to get a general understanding of where I fit in atm

Offline mmm313

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2013, 11:48 »
I hear that if you hurry, you can get orders to the Big "E" out of Norfolk!  ;)

Not sure of what you mean?? Could you clarify a bit more?

Samabby

« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2013, 08:24 »
" Calm down, geez..."

For starters, telling Gamecock this is not a good career move. 8)
« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2013, 08:55 by Samabby »

Offline gacky27

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2013, 12:07 »
Your question doesn't have a one line answer. When you ask "What are my chances of getting in as an instructor?" you can't expect someone to respond with something like "60%" or "pretty good right now." What they are trying to tell you is that the Navy's needs change and you may have a great shot with your current GPA or you may have almost no chance even with a higher GPA, it just depends on if there are spots open.

The only way to answer your question is to go through the application process and see what happens.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2013, 01:42 »
Calm down, geez...

If you make it, that will be "Calm down, geez Sir"   

[coffee]

Offline mmm313

• Very Lite User
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2013, 09:49 »
Your question doesn't have a one line answer. When you ask "What are my chances of getting in as an instructor?" you can't expect someone to respond with something like "60%" or "pretty good right now." What they are trying to tell you is that the Navy's needs change and you may have a great shot with your current GPA or you may have almost no chance even with a higher GPA, it just depends on if there are spots open.

The only way to answer your question is to go through the application process and see what happens.

Okay I see what you are trying to say. I guess I didn't word my question properly then. What do you think the average GPA of a person selected for the NUPOC instructor position is?

Offline mmm313

• Very Lite User
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2013, 09:50 »
Okay I see what you are trying to say. I guess I didn't word my question properly then. What do you think the average GPA of a person selected for the NUPOC instructor position is?

Wait, he's a nuclear officer??? Nevermind, Sorry sir :)

Offline mmm313

• Very Lite User
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2013, 09:53 »
" Calm down, geez..."

For starters, telling Gamecock this not a good career move. 8)

Sorry I didn't know that he was an officer. I just thought he was a random poster who came off as rudely.  Im sorry for sounding disrespectful, but I guess I didn't ask my question properly.  What do you think that average person's GPA is who is selected for the NUPOC Instructor position? Is there any preferred major for that position? Would MechE be fine? Sorry for the confusion before.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2013, 10:35 »
Sorry I didn't know that he was an officer. I just thought he was a random poster who came off as rudely.  Im sorry for sounding disrespectful, but I guess I didn't ask my question properly.  What do you think that average person's GPA is who is selected for the NUPOC Instructor position? Is there any preferred major for that position? Would MechE be fine? Sorry for the confusion before.

There's no confusion. You want the benefits of being a NUPOC Instructor position...pay and rank of an officer, not go to sea, all cake, no vegetables, we get that. So you ask an open-ended question about how "how my, personal, position stood." -5 pts for Myspace grammar and punctuation. When a reply came that didn't meet your expectations, you had a choice between acknowledging the reply and adding your progress through the pipeline in the manner of a candidate worthy of a commission, or as a Gen Y kiddie with a sense of entitlement who wanted to sound witty. Interview over.

GPA, yes, it is good. Luckily there is plenty of competition.

Offline mmm313

• Very Lite User
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2013, 03:39 »
bump...anyone have any input? Just wondering what the avg gpa is for a person selected to be nupoc instructor

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2013, 06:58 »
bump...anyone have any input? Just wondering what the avg gpa is for a person selected to be nupoc instructor

yes, the answer to your questions are in the threads and documents listed below:

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,5615.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,25013.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,21700.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,35119.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,27538.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,17491.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,15893.0.html

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:iS8G7iLdK8QJ:www.nukewarriors.com/OCSGuide.pdf+http://www.nukewarriors.com&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESiJhX5DA0HqLhhlbhwJobdLss5HG5A6vK3DX6m0ixS6FtwwFV-xPpChPZ0GyvjfYx_KMB9sV2AeGLkPaz-D_BWm5baqrNOIvuPfB89r4BYh0HmxYwEtM2N6dpi5Q-05Jzkbmbuv&sig=AHIEtbRhhrLH_4CE5fsmVLiyht8Wvaa4zQ

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:wwkRHWoxKSYJ:www.nukewarriors.com/studyguide.pdf+http://www.nukewarriors.com&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgkS1-AviZWxF2gmYOrO1Ewpsc0T9Q_b4ciaEkzZM1xuCdbYoL37N7ICKsuxNXfJQOPsAbhzucFCBBbAIRyX5RgC9FBy-i9o0YQjiYfUk7baKuYRkcj4c78baOliWtGDLF1u316&sig=AHIEtbRevmZXMq9-ZYcHTpGgBUk4lnCRoA

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:x7_DHathkqcJ:www.nukewarriors.com/nrinterview.pdf+http://www.nukewarriors.com&hl=en&gl=us

I've search these forums a lot.....

No you don't or, you don't know how to search, I found all the stuff listed above in 5 minutes 26 seconds,...

Sorry I didn't know that he was an officer.....

Well, in at least two of the threads above Gamecock specifically lists his qualifications, if you had read through these forums a lot, you would have known that,...

.... I just thought he was a random poster who came off as rudely.....

At the top of the Navy Nuke forums you will find this listed every time:

NukeWorker Forum > Career Path > Navy Nuke (Moderator: Gamecock)

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/board,44.0.html

random posters are not forum moderators, attention to detail is among the hallmarks of successful NUPOC candidates,...

this:

I've search these forums a lot and found out some helpful info about the program,...

is a smoke blowing, ingratiating, platitude and it is quickly recognized and never appreciated in this crowd, save it for your PC English Lit Assistant Professor, and don't bother coming back at me with some interesting repartee as I have already earned my spurs in this world and I really don't give a dam if you ever amount to anything, that is your mother's job,...

I'm just tired of this whiney ass, spoon feed me thread and figured I'd shovel the whole load at ya for your digestion, if you can't find the answer in what I posted for ya your chances of ever being a successful NUPOC candidate are nil,...

Enjoy the day,... [coffee]

(sic)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

MacGyver

« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2013, 07:15 »
GLW

snot nosed nupoc wantabe

Offline SpaceJustice

• Moderate User
  • SRO ILT
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2013, 08:27 »
Wait, he's a nuclear officer??? Nevermind, Sorry sir :)

Good to know showing respect to individuals with experience in this field only applies if they are officers.

drayer54

« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2013, 02:02 »
To be fair, I'm generally skeptical of advice from people with a Yankees picture in their post.....

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2013, 03:54 »
To be fair, I'm generally skeptical of advice from people with a Yankees picture in their post.....

There's almost no way you can watch this movie at the age of 8YO and not become a Yankees fan,....for life,...
      (especially when Yankees spring training camp was just down the road from your home  8) )

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

HeavyD

« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2013, 07:30 »
Good to know showing respect to individuals with experience in this field only applies if they are officers.

The original poster is asking about a Navy commissioning program.  GC is a commissioned officer in the United States Navy, and a higher ranking officer than the OP would be if, should the stars align properly, the OP were to successfully apply for and be selected for NUPOC, the Nuclear Power Officer Candidate program.

The context of the discussion, with the roles currently being played by all the associated parties properly identified, is of great importance here. 

Showing the proper respect for officers, especially higher ranking officers, is something the OP needs to start doing NOW if they hope to have any chance at success in the Navy.

Offline SpaceJustice

• Moderate User
  • SRO ILT
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2013, 06:56 »
The original poster is asking about a Navy commissioning program.  GC is a commissioned officer in the United States Navy, and a higher ranking officer than the OP would be if, should the stars align properly, the OP were to successfully apply for and be selected for NUPOC, the Nuclear Power Officer Candidate program.

The context of the discussion, with the roles currently being played by all the associated parties properly identified, is of great importance here. 

Showing the proper respect for officers, especially higher ranking officers, is something the OP needs to start doing NOW if they hope to have any chance at success in the Navy.

Touche'.  Good point.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?