Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What more could I add to make myself a more desirable candidate honeypot

Author Topic: What more could I add to make myself a more desirable candidate  (Read 5293 times)

Offline Gamma_Gus

• Light User
I am about to finish an associates in Electrical Power Technology (I & C), which includes the NUCP certificate, and a degree in Electronic Engineering Technology.

I have passed both the MASS and POSS test and my GPA is a 4.0

I have read the suggestions that pertain to resumes and interviewing skills.

I wanted to see if there is any extra certifications, workshops, recommended reads or anything else that could make me a more desirable candidate for employment.

Please include as many things as possible, no matter how insignificant or obscure it may seem.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

-Gus

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Can you be more specific as to what line of work you are looking for?

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Content1

It is not what you know, it is who you know unless you are in a field they are desperate for.  Your placement counsellor at your school should be supplying this info and recruiters.

Offline Gamma_Gus

• Light User
Sorry I wasn't as clear as I should have been. I & C technician for Commercial Nuclear Power Plant. My counselor has given me a few tips and I have followed them, but wanted a different perspective. I have heard that it's who you know, the fact is that I don't know anyone with years of experience or high in the ranks. That's why I'm looking for anything to give me an edge.
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2013, 07:05 by Gamma_Gus »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
I am about to finish an associates in Electrical Power Technology (I & C), which includes the NUCP certificate, and a degree in Electronic Engineering Technology.

I have passed both the MASS and POSS test and my GPA is a 4.0

I have read the suggestions that pertain to resumes and interviewing skills.

I wanted to see if there is any extra certifications, workshops, recommended reads or anything else that could make me a more desirable candidate for employment.

Please include as many things as possible, no matter how insignificant or obscure it may seem.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

-Gus

Take a look at what Creeker recommended for study material...he's right on the mark.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,14986.msg86020.html#msg86020

You are probably fresh on all this since you are coming straight from school, but wouldn't hurt to brush up right before you test into a plant.

Good Luck!  :)
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2013, 10:33 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline spentfuel

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Might want to keep an eye on the Duke jobs postings.  I heard a rumor they were going to post a M&TE starting tech position

sf

Offline jbechtel

• Very Lite User
You have the same I&C background as when I started, so here's my advice,....

You need to take nuclear industry training next. A lot of people don't know this, but you can take classes at your nearest DOE site. Because they are funded by public money, they are open to all. It comes at a price $, but the instructers there will help get you in. If I were you, I'd go the non-manual route and take Passport or SAP classes and think about being a planner or engineering support roles. The industry of late, will hire people directly off the street for these and other non-manual positions because they're more concerned about how efficent you are with a computer than what you know about a nuclear plant. It's a faster route.

If you're thinking about contracting as an I&C tech, the certification process to be a level II, or journeyman, as a supplemental was a very long and complicated process that took years, and I don't think the industry offers it anymore. So you'll have to go in-house. They're very touchy about who they let work on their plant equipment, especially I&C. I recently found out there were less than a hundred of us left from the old days, and many have been kicked upstairs to these non-manual roles. The best you can hope for is being a helper.
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2013, 11:08 by jbechtel »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?