Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Becoming a Navy Nuclear Officer through enlisting.

Author Topic: Becoming a Navy Nuclear Officer through enlisting.  (Read 8198 times)

Offline the12394

• Lurker
To become a Navy Nuclear Officer how many ways are there? One which I have heard of is the STA program or, Seaman to Admiral. What should I do to get a better chance to be accepted in this program. I am currently enlisting in the Navy Nuclear Program but have yet to go to MEPS.

Offline SpaceJustice

• Moderate User
  • SRO ILT
Re: Becoming a Navy Nuclear Officer through enlisting.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2013, 12:46 »
Don't enlist to become an officer.  If you enlist, make sure you plan on doing your entire contract (six years) enlisted.  There is a chance you could be picked up for STA-21 while you are in, but it is by no means a guarantee.  If you want to become an officer then finish a Bachelor's degree in a technical field (Engineering, Physics, etc.) and apply for OCS.  There are other programs you can apply to while in college that I am not familiar enough with to speak of. 

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2013, 04:24 »
Holy crap, search the forum, search google, search bing, search navy.com. Spend a good 5 seconds looking this up.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=US+Navy+Officer+Ascension+

Search Bashing aside, worry about getting into your program first. Your mind can change very quickly once youre "on the inside" (mine did).
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2013, 04:25 by Starkist »

HeavyD

« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:23 »
The first, and most important question;

Why do you want to be an officer in the United States Navy?

If the answer in any way, shape or form is about making more money, then DON'T.  You will make life harder on every sailor, and especially every Chief, that will be in your future divisions. 

Being an officer is about leading, about program and people management, about working with your Chiefs to move your division/department towards ensuring the division/department/command meets its mission.  If these aren't your main motivators, you are going to be more of a hindrance than an assest to the Navy.

Harsh?  Yes.  Truth?  Absolutely.

Offline NuclearWaste

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2013, 05:20 »
So here goes the post from someone who once was in your shoes:

YES there are ways to become an officer from the enlisted side, actually there are several.  Below are the various paths:

1. STA-21 - Seaman To Admiral:  Throughout the pipeline, you will be able to apply for the STA-21 option.  Usually about 30% of those who apply, get it.  However, it requires a very demanding GPA from both NFAS and NPS.  While STA-21 will be offered to you when you hit the fleet, the best time to apply is earlier in the pipeline.

2. OSC - Officer Candidate School - Typically, correct me if I'm wrong, this requires extensive knowledge and technical expertise.  So, given that, usually it is only offered to well qualified sailors, such as Chiefs.  My SLPO (Section Leading Petty Officer), made ensign through OSC while I was still at NPS.

3. Warrant Officer - This is a unique rank, and requires only the best of Chiefs.  Don't expect this to come easy, nor towards the beginning of the pipeline.

4. Naval Academy -  This is where my role comes into play.  I was accepted to the Naval Academy while still in NFAS, but didn't leave until well into NPS. (Over 2/3rds into it.)  Typically the pick up rate for this commissioning program is about 60 - 70%, but requires extensive patients and paperwork to be filled.  If you want it bad enough, I would definitely say the Academy is worth it.  However, you will be quite tested, and it might be difficult moving from rank to nothingness.

I'm sure I'm missing one or two in there somewhere, but give it some thought before making any moves.  I would suggest doing extensive research, even if it might cost a few hours of your time.

Offline SpaceJustice

• Moderate User
  • SRO ILT
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2013, 12:31 »
So here goes the post from someone who once was in your shoes:

YES there are ways to become an officer from the enlisted side, actually there are several.  Below are the various paths:

1. STA-21 - Seaman To Admiral:  Throughout the pipeline, you will be able to apply for the STA-21 option.  Usually about 30% of those who apply, get it.  However, it requires a very demanding GPA from both NFAS and NPS.  While STA-21 will be offered to you when you hit the fleet, the best time to apply is earlier in the pipeline.

2. OSC - Officer Candidate School - Typically, correct me if I'm wrong, this requires extensive knowledge and technical expertise.  So, given that, usually it is only offered to well qualified sailors, such as Chiefs.  My SLPO (Section Leading Petty Officer), made ensign through OSC while I was still at NPS.

3. Warrant Officer - This is a unique rank, and requires only the best of Chiefs.  Don't expect this to come easy, nor towards the beginning of the pipeline.

4. Naval Academy -  This is where my role comes into play.  I was accepted to the Naval Academy while still in NFAS, but didn't leave until well into NPS. (Over 2/3rds into it.)  Typically the pick up rate for this commissioning program is about 60 - 70%, but requires extensive patients and paperwork to be filled.  If you want it bad enough, I would definitely say the Academy is worth it.  However, you will be quite tested, and it might be difficult moving from rank to nothingness.

I'm sure I'm missing one or two in there somewhere, but give it some thought before making any moves.  I would suggest doing extensive research, even if it might cost a few hours of your time.

You should really stop talking, at least with regards to OCS.  Anybody with a bachelor's degree can apply to OCS.  The OPNAV instruction 1420.1b has guidance on the application process and specific requirements for the various communities you can apply for.  It has nothing to do with rank or technical expertise and isn't "offered," you have to apply and be accepted.  For example, a third class sonar tech on my boat just got picked up for Intel.  The bottom line is that there are many paths to a commission, the ones that I see historically being more utilized are OCS and LDO (which has time in service and rank requirements attached to it).

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2013, 12:40 »

This whole thing sounds.....fishy!!!  :P

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?