Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Age Waiver for NUPOC?

Author Topic: Age Waiver for NUPOC?  (Read 3573 times)

Offline CGD83

• Lurker
Age Waiver for NUPOC?
« on: Feb 28, 2013, 04:34 »
Hi, my name is Caroline. Just to give a brief background with what I am working with, I am 29 years old and I am a Biomedical Engineering major at DeVry University. However, I spoke with a recruiter last year and he said to me that I wouldn't be the greatest candidate for NUPOC because of the reputability of the university that I was attending no matter how great my GPA was. Which was a 4.0 at the time.

So, during October, I submitted about 5 different transfer applications to the state schools here in California. One at SJSU, which has the Biomedical engineering program, along with SFSU, Sac State, CSUEB, and the University of the Pacific. Now, I really want to get into NUPOC because I feel that this is what I want to do. I just got the acceptance letter from all of them, and have decided to go with SJSU because it has the major that I want to study. Even though, I am open to all the other engineering fields.

At DeVry, I have only taken the GE's that I needed to transfer. I have also taken the NUPOC's requirement for the year of Calculus and the year of Calculus-based physics. In fact, I have taken all of the ones that I need for my major. So, today I spoke with a recruiter, not a coordinator for the NUPOC program, but just an officer recruiter, and he said to me that my age would be a factor even after I brought up the waiver that I know the Navy offers.

So, my question is, since I am 29 years old, and am a junior in college, how difficult do you think it is to be accepted into the NUPOC program?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Age Waiver for NUPOC?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2013, 09:08 »
When I was an instructor at nuke school, I was the academic for a DeVry grad.....

he lasted 9 weeks.

“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2013, 09:36 »
Aren't application at sophomore year and commission no older than 29 still requirements?

HeavyD

« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2013, 08:37 »
As a side note, I have to ask a question.

If you are a Biomedical Engineering student, why do you want to be a Nuke officer in the US Navy?  Maybe there is some connection between the two that I wasn't privy to during my 20 years, but I'm not seeing it.

I ask this not as a point of criticism.  I ask because this program (NUPOC) is a program for finding quality candidates for commissioning as US Naval officers in the Nuclear Propulsion Program.  The program needs committed leaders.

Again, not saying anything negative.  I simply want you to completely understand the commitment you are signing up for and what will be expected of you after you graduate.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?